Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Review within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #41
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
I'll be interested in seeing how much people like this game over time and with slider adjustments. The presentation and commentary is top notch (at least in the demo).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #42
JSK
Rookie

OVR: 1
Maybe it's time to start a letter writing campaign to MLB to rescind the exclusivity rights from 2K sports...

I was going to wait on the reviews before I made a decision to buy this. And, it looks like I won't be buying this anytime soon. I'll just hold on to 2K8 and save some money.

I'm also in agreement with others that the game should feel pretty darned close to realistic out of the box and it shouldn't be expected that slider tuning be required to address so many of the issues here.

At least, if I do get this game, I know that I can come here for that type of advice. I wonder if the majority of those who buy this game even know about this or just think, "This game sucks," and return it or sell it?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #43
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
The 2k series was routinely scoring in the 7's by most reputable sites/magazines, and I think the majority of the community agreed on that. This year, the game has fallen to 6's, and the reasons are not graphics, lack of features, or even poor framerate. The primary reason is the horrendous number of GLITCHES that invade the gameplaying experience. I may end up trying this game out anyway, but only because I'm am among the hardest of hardcore baseball admirers (and I know what I'm getting into).

Sliders cannot fix glitches. You may be able to trick them into happening less often, but the fact that AI components of the game don't do things on their own that have been routinely done in baseball games for 20 years is a major cause for concern.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'll be interested in seeing how much people like this game over time and with slider adjustments. The presentation and commentary is top notch (at least in the demo).
I was initially impressed when I fired the game up and started out in batting practice. I could see the improvements in hit variety. Then I played a game... There is nothing that can save this game as far as the on-field stuff goes. It's a mess. I can't see how anybody who has issues with any of that could soften their position after a while. Because sliders cannot fix the Ritalin-needy CPU hitting or the absolutely atrocious fielding.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #45
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

I agree that you can't base a review on possible slider tweaks. However, I think there should be an updated review maybe a couple months after release which takes slider tweaks and patches into account.

Last edited by PVarck31; 03-04-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 4
Anyone who actually thought this game would be worth a dime is not aware of the software development lifecycle and what it takes. This franchise has been a disaster since '07 and when that happens, it's time to burn and start over, which usually takes years, and also requires a solid foundation to start from. I have no idea if this 2K9 provides that solid foundation, but it will be years for this franchise to return to respectability, if ever. This will easily be the year I get a PS3 for the show.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #47
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by starship
Nice review, fair and well-stated.

My only disagreement is in the statement that all outfielders have about the same speed. I sugest that the reviewer try to play with the Pirates with Eric Hinske in LF. The guy has all the speed and grace of a disabled 3-toed sloth; he's wayyyyy slower than my other outfielders. I haven't played with Manny, so he may be right about him.
I concur. I think speed is the only difference out there in this game. When I have a slow fielder, I feel like I will never get to a fly ball in the spacious outfields. If I was building a team in 2K, it would be a must to have speedy OFs.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #48
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I agree that you can't base a review on possible slider tweaks. However, I think there should be an updated review maybe a couple months after release which takes slider tweaks and patches into account.
Well we do plan to do more postmortems and perhaps we will also begin to look critically at a game after the fact, rather than stopping after "reviewing" it -- if that makes sense.

PS, I'm very disappointed by the lack of anger and outrage in this review thread. I mean even the people who disagree are not angry and irrational. WTF Internet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »