Home

NHL 09 360 Patch #2 Online -- Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 09 360 Patch #2 Online -- Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #81
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: NHL 09 360 Patch #2 Online -- Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I watch alot of hockey since there are three teams in my area and I have never seen a penalty called for checking from behind. They always call it boarding.

EDIT** They almost never call a guy for checking someone into the boards when they are straight up and don't have their head down.
Boarding is called when the player being checked is 3 or 4 feet from the boards and checked from behind causing him the go head first into the boards. Thus, I don't have a problem with the hit from behind call. The hit in the game could also be called charging because most of the time the checker takes more then 3 strides to hit the player.

EDIT: Just have to say I am loving the patch. Now when I lose online I don't feel as though I were cheated. I was either outplayed or my opponent caught a lucky bounce or 2. Good times all around

Last edited by FlyingFinn; 03-05-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #82
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah the CPU d-men are not smart enough to stop the side of the net cheese. They push players wide (which makes sense), but the goofy goalies still let in a lot. They probably improved it somewhat, at least it isn't an automatic goal, but it is still there.

It is easy to shut down with a human d-man. I play D almost all the time (unless we only have 1 other guy then you have to have 2 forwards) and I can stop most of the side of the net stuff easily.

The problem is I hate the way I have to play D to do it. I struggled at D until I finally figured out to leave the slot wide open and only worry about the side and behind the net. Then all of a sudden I started getting it and stopping everyone.

I was just disappointed that the play hasn't shifted back out to the front of the net and slot as much as it should.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andayaman
This patch is a huge advantage for the players who play legitimately. You can no longer win games just by hitting everything that moves. I just beat a guy 7-3. I was Buffalo and he was Chicago. With our stats, he would of beat me pre-patch(Okay maybe not, I had 68 shots on they guy. But it would of been alot closer).

Chicago - Buffalo
Shots 18-68
Hits 96-8
Faceoffs 14-26
TOA 4:00-11:41
PIM 30:00-8:00
PP 1/4-4/15

He earned his Powerplay goal. His other two came because I started to get really lax at the end of the game.
indeed my friend, check out these stats from a game I just had: (repost from my other thread)

I was NSH.

FINAL SCORE:

NASHVILLE: 10
EDMONTON: 1

SHOTS:

NASHVILLE: 72
EDMONTON: 16

HITS:

NASHVILLE: 39
EDMONTON: 230

PIM:

NASHVILLE: 10:00
EDMONTON: 72:00

TIME ON ATTACK:

NASHVILLE: 12:13
EDMONTON: 2:49
Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #84
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
The problem is I hate the way I have to play D to do it. I struggled at D until I finally figured out to leave the slot wide open and only worry about the side and behind the net. Then all of a sudden I started getting it and stopping everyone.
If you're talking OTP and are lucky enough to play with a full squad (especially two human D-men), the best way to defend in your zone (IMHO of course) is as follows:

Center: Front of the net to high slot, cover for D-men if beaten (ie, don't let anyone skate to the net)
Strong-side D-man: Take the puck carrier, push him wide, cut-off lane to net for short-side cheddar
Weak-side D-man: Watch far post for cross-crease, cover for center in slot, mindful of wrap-arounds
Strong-side winger: support SSD along boards/in corner, watch for puck back to point
Weak-side winger: support slot, watch high off zone area to cut-off D-to-D pass if teammates are in proper position

More to the point of what you're saying, yes, I've found it sucks to play D by yourself. I feel like I have to be a heat-seeking missile going after anyone with the puck anywhere near the net. I have little faith in my CPU defensive partner to do much of anything. I also don't enjoy playing D like this...

Last edited by Qb; 03-05-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #85
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Boarding is called when the player being checked is 3 or 4 feet from the boards and checked from behind causing him the go head first into the boards. Thus, I don't have a problem with the hit from behind call. The hit in the game could also be called charging because most of the time the checker takes more then 3 strides to hit the player.

EDIT: Just have to say I am loving the patch. Now when I lose online I don't feel as though I were cheated. I was either outplayed or my opponent caught a lucky bounce or 2. Good times all around
I understand what a boarding call is but when was the last time you saw a call for checking from behind. I know I haven't. Most of the calls in the game don't reflect the actual penalty like boarding, which is why I thought they need to better reflect the penalties with better animations. First they need to make the stick actually get in between a guy's leg and pull him down. Also have the guy with the puck when he is hit from behind fall head first into the boards. Since they don't have those animations I concluded that they should just have the check from behind be the boarding call.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #86
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

on the checking from behind, I saw it called a lot the year before the lockout.

On the patch as a whole, i love the interference calls, and people not being able to hit me off the puck, makes a puck control guy like me all that more dangerous. I have been winning games 6-0 and 6-1 when now having more powerplay opportunities, and then people not knowing how to play any other kind of defense. then i played someone who actually knew what they were doing and got smoked 6-0 mysaelf. it should have been closer but i essentially stopped playing d after it was 3-0 setting my forecheck and pressure to max. still it was a great game even though i got my *** kicked. loving the new patch.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am not sure where to begin. I would like to start out by saying that I play offline exclusively and play a realistice style of hockey, no cheese goals, no checking of players without the puck, not chasing offensive players around the rink, etc. I play on PRO. I am very dissappointed in this patch.

1. Faceoffs

Forget about winning even 50% of these now after the patch. I think it was a very poor design decision to take away the advantage of a good faceoff guy in favor of randomess. This costs me numerous possessions every game. I check the stats after each game and I am lucky to win 1 of 3 faceoffs.

2. Super Human Goalies

Before the patch I could score goals, period. I would get 2 to 4 per game. Not now. The goalies are never out of position, stop everything. Not much fun anymore.

3. Penalties

While the diversity of penalty types has improved and interference is being called, which is good, I have gone 2 or 3 games sometimes with no penalties being called on either team. Reminding of the way things were before the 1st patch.

4. Computer AI

Before the patch, when on "Crash the Net" offense for example, my teammates would position themselves for good rebound opportunities. Now they just hang out at the top of the circles and watch me try to take on the hyper aggresive defense and goalie by myself.

When I skate into the opponents end of the ice I am met with aggressive defenders bumping, pushing, and poke checking me. However, when I am on defense my defenders just watch the opponent skate in front of my net and shoot.

On defense I use "Collapsing" and "Protect the Net". Before the patch I enjoyed watching my defense clog up the middle and make things difficult for the computer. Not now. My computer teammates will again just hang out at the top of the circles and watch me try to defend 2 opponents around the net.

I take no joy in these observations. I really thought this patch would make a great game even better. Unfortunately it has made it almost impossible to play. I tried to convince myself that if I just kept at it things would get better. The opposite has happened. I have not been able to score a goal in my last 5 games. Any constructive suggestions short of quitting.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #88
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

i think we all have frustrations with this game...i'd suggest that you clear your 360's cache and go back to the pre-patch game because you'll probably have more fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »