Home

NCAA Football 10 Blog: Player Pursuit Angles

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 10 Blog: Player Pursuit Angles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #113
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA Football 10 Blog: Player Pursuit Angles

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. Been playing NCAA since 03 so Im not new to the game. I figured I could help with something. I work in the broadcast design industry( making commercials etc.) and what I see here is the same issues that we run into when creating visuals for clients. You have to be able to use your imagination and focus on what is being presented to you and not only what you see. For example if Im creating a Kellog's commercial and the new box hasn't been released yet, I still have to present something until I get the final picture of the box. You are left no choice but to use a surrogate picture that may not be the same brand but is of the same shape that only serves as a placeholder to help you see what it "will" look like. The client will say "THATS NOT OUR PRODUCT!!" after you clearly explained that it's just a placeholder so they can get an idea of the direction you are trying to go. So basically one part of the EA team(let's use design) is saying we want to show the pursuit angle, the animation side is like ok we aren't done. The design team says ok we still want to give the people an idea, so let's take what we have( 09 animations for OL/DL, running, etc. etc. as the placeholder) so we can get something out there.

In football terms, if a the team is split up into O and D at practice and your number #1 CB is working on his jamming skills, Do you take your #1 reciever out of his drills and have him perform a menial task like that? Or do you grab somebody on the bench to act as the wideout? The guy on the bench is the placeholder serving a purpose so that the intended idea can still get through.

I think what happens is that the posters on this board are not familiar with the visual/creative industries and think these are regular 9-5 jobs. There are alot of weekends and overnight stays. More than likely there is a period at EA called hell week where they sleep under their desks overnight for about a week to crank this thing out. So trust me its alot of time left and it's still very early, because of how much constant work is being put in. Heck while some of us in the same time zone are sleep in our beds there is someone at EA with bloodshot eyes working on formation subs( you guys didn't think I was gonna not get my request in did you? lol). So be excited about the changes because they were shown in the other videos, be able to use your imagination and combine the videos in your head. Your looking at placeholder animations to save time and have you focus in on a specific point. Heck we are more than lucky they are even letting us see WIPs, most creative people don't like people seeing anything they do until its final. I hope I helped someone who may be getting discouraged
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #114
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
To think the game will be radically different then these vids is a bit naive... What you see is what you get other then some tuning.
that was my point.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #115
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
To think the game will be radically different then these vids is a bit naive... What you see is what you get other then some tuning.
Its the 09 build with an 10 update.

To hide their new features for NCAA 10, they had to use NCAA 09 build but implement their NCAA 10 pursuit angle.

Its the same thing they did with the camera angle screen shot. The one with no pocket vs the one with a pocket.

To think the game will be not radically different from these vids is a bit naive...

To think they will reveal all their new features in a 10 second vid and ruin their 3 month plan about marketting is very naive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #116
Rookie

tylerd02's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated

To hide their new features for NCAA 10, they had to use NCAA 09 build but implement their NCAA 10 pursuit angle.

Its the same thing they did with the camera angle screen shot. The one with no pocket vs the one with a pocket.

To think the game will be not radically different from these vids is a bit naive...

To think they will reveal all their new features in a 10 second vid and ruin their 3 month plan about marketting is very naive.

I agree
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #117
Pro

mjussawalla's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietStorm627
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. Been playing NCAA since 03 so Im not new to the game. I figured I could help with something. I work in the broadcast design industry( making commercials etc.) and what I see here is the same issues that we run into when creating visuals for clients. You have to be able to use your imagination and focus on what is being presented to you and not only what you see. For example if Im creating a Kellog's commercial and the new box hasn't been released yet, I still have to present something until I get the final picture of the box. You are left no choice but to use a surrogate picture that may not be the same brand but is of the same shape that only serves as a placeholder to help you see what it "will" look like. The client will say "THATS NOT OUR PRODUCT!!" after you clearly explained that it's just a placeholder so they can get an idea of the direction you are trying to go. So basically one part of the EA team(let's use design) is saying we want to show the pursuit angle, the animation side is like ok we aren't done. The design team says ok we still want to give the people an idea, so let's take what we have( 09 animations for OL/DL, running, etc. etc. as the placeholder) so we can get something out there.

In football terms, if a the team is split up into O and D at practice and your number #1 CB is working on his jamming skills, Do you take your #1 reciever out of his drills and have him perform a menial task like that? Or do you grab somebody on the bench to act as the wideout? The guy on the bench is the placeholder serving a purpose so that the intended idea can still get through.

I think what happens is that the posters on this board are not familiar with the visual/creative industries and think these are regular 9-5 jobs. There are alot of weekends and overnight stays. More than likely there is a period at EA called hell week where they sleep under their desks overnight for about a week to crank this thing out. So trust me its alot of time left and it's still very early, because of how much constant work is being put in. Heck while some of us in the same time zone are sleep in our beds there is someone at EA with bloodshot eyes working on formation subs( you guys didn't think I was gonna not get my request in did you? lol). So be excited about the changes because they were shown in the other videos, be able to use your imagination and combine the videos in your head. Your looking at placeholder animations to save time and have you focus in on a specific point. Heck we are more than lucky they are even letting us see WIPs, most creative people don't like people seeing anything they do until its final. I hope I helped someone who may be getting discouraged
I 100% understand what you are trying to say. However, I think many people who have doubts are basing it on our experience with the product.

I know the people working on the game give it their all. But from my perspective it just seems as if EA has put fewer resources into this game compared to previous years.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #118
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane
Yeah, it's like people are going to crucify others for not sharing their opinion. Even going to the extent of lecturing people and twisting their words. I wrote that I am reserving my excitement and it's magically interpreted as I am judging the final product without seeing it or saying the cake is bitter just by tasting the batter. At least it was something like that, can't be bothered to reread that. Yet those are the same people who are rushing to open their wallets to EA without seeing a final product. Doesn't make sense to me.
After reading this thread and going by the tone of this here post, it's kinda 50-50.

And after reading the other threads dealing with the blog entries, it's clear as day that some people were waiting in the bushes to finally give the lovefest a good ol' wet blanket. "Finally...we found something wrong!!!". Because the previous threads (Madden & NCAA) were pretty tame and informative.

This one...not so much.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #119
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated

What?!?!?!?! You're making sense....how dare you!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #120
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjussawalla
I 100% understand what you are trying to say. However, I think many people who have doubts are basing it on our experience with the product.

I know the people working on the game give it their all. But from my perspective it just seems as if EA has put fewer resources into this game compared to previous years.

Just my 2 cents.
Based on what?

Have you seen the previous blog entries? Fewer resources?

Look, I'm as skeptical as the next man . I'm from Philly...we're born skeptical. But even I am taking notice of the new work being put in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »