Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: A Deeper Look Into Pass Blocking

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: A Deeper Look Into Pass Blocking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #153
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: A Deeper Look Into Pass Blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Hmm...again, seems obvious to me, but maybe I'm not explaining it well. See attached image...

Attachment 15626

In real life, unless that guy is getting held, there is no reason why he can't chase after the ballcarrier after he's ran past him. Instead he's trapped in a really long animation...without the ability to branch out or 'steer', you can't control how the defense reacts to the play.
I get what you are saying now. I was looking at the block up until the HB ran by (at which point he's already out of the play) and didn't think he was held too long there (in fact, it was really short), while you're continuing to view the block while the HB continues up field. Even though the HB is past the defender, you're saying the defensive player should be able to turn up field sooner in order to follow the runner. Makes sense.

Wouldn't a dual block / tackle animation be even better? In the grasp, reaching out, get a hand on the player and transition to the tackle from there? Anychance ProTak can do just that?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #154
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Hmm...again, seems obvious to me, but maybe I'm not explaining it well. See attached image...

Attachment 15626

In real life, unless that guy is getting held, there is no reason why he can't chase after the ballcarrier after he's ran past him. Instead he's trapped in a really long animation...without the ability to branch out or 'steer', you can't control how the defense reacts to the play.
My original post was directed more towards the first play in that clip. It looks like the defender falls for the (very odd) spin by the ball carrier, slips, and is blocked down and taken out of the play.

But I see what you are getting at. However earlier in the 2nd play the ball carrier runs right next to the engaged player and could have easily been tackled (or atleast slowed down a little) had the defender stuck his arm out to grab him. Like Valdarez asked will we be able to do something like this or will we have to completely break away from the block, turn up field, and try to make the tackle?

Also I just wanted to ask again about the ref. I (think) I've read the whole thread and didn't miss anything but I don't remember anyone else pointing this out. It's it in no way a game breaker, it just kills immersion once you notice the ref back there gliding around.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #155
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

With regard to APF, here's another clip that illustrates Ian's point about not being able to break out of an animation. Keep your eye on the right DE:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #156
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
With regard to APF, here's another clip that illustrates Ian's point about not being able to break out of an animation. Keep your eye on the right DE:

I don't want to turn this into a 2k thread, but those uncontrollable animations didn't happen where it affected human gameplay at all. I see the point, and if madden 10 fixes that, awesome.

I am more concerned with the non-response to double team blocks. That is just part of football and has always been apart of the 2k series, this should not be rocket science.

The imporvement in lineplay looks very promising though. Would love to hear the double team's are in though....
Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #157
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

I think it's important to keep in mind that APF2K8 has a very real momentum system built into it, and some of what you are seeing is a player's momentum in play. That's something I would like to see in play in Madden. Even in the example that Ian provided, I would hope that if the blocker engages the defensive player that they reroute / move the defensive player some how with their block. APF2K8's does that, but it's more of carrying out the animation to it's end like Ian pointed out than feeling the effects of the player's momentum.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #158
MVP

OVR: 16

Great stuff IAN...

BIG IMPROVEMENT YOU GUYS MADE IN REGARDS TO BRANCHING OFF OF BLOCKS....
Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #159
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker
I am more concerned with the non-response to double team blocks. That is just part of football and has always been apart of the 2k series, this should not be rocket science.
You should watch more videos, someone has already called out a double team block in a past video. Sorry, not sure which one it was, but it was there, and it was on the OLine.

Double teams were a problem in 2K's APF2K8 game, as they happened unnecessarily too often, allowing blockers to come through untouched. Nothing worse than having 3 men rush, seeing a double team on the DE to right, with the center moving the other way and the NT allowed to come through pretty much clean. So I guess the addition of double teams will concern me far more than the lack of them.

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-11-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #160
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker
The imporvement in lineplay looks very promising though. Would love to hear the double team's are in though....

I'm sure we will hear something in the near future. We still have E3, the rest of May, June and July ahead for all this info to pop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »