Home

Grand Slam Tennis: What's Hot and What's Not

This is a discussion on Grand Slam Tennis: What's Hot and What's Not within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Grand Slam Tennis: What's Hot and What's Not

It’s hard to believe that during the 15-plus years of success by the EA Sports brand only one tennis game has ever been released under the North American label: IMG International Tour Tennis for the Sega Genesis, which debuted in 1994 and received little fanfare and a lukewarm critical reception.

This time around, while critical reception for Grand Slam Tennis will be delayed until the game actually comes out, the fanfare surrounding Grand Slam Tennis for the Nintendo Wii already outweighs the hype surrounding its forgotten ancestor on the Genesis.

In current times, the virtual tennis courts are not quite as crowded as they were back in the 16-bit days when developers such as Sega, Tengen, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Namco, and of course, Nintendo were trying their hand at the sport on the Super Nintendo and Genesis, but Grand Slam Tennis developer EA Canada still faces some tough competition from established brands like Virtua Tennis, Top Spin, Mario Tennis and even the more niche Smash Court Tennis series.

Read More - Grand Slam Tennis: What's Hot and What's Not

Platform: Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 89
I wonder how big a difference wii motion plus will be...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Grand Slam Tennis: What's Hot and What's Not

I don't know if motion plus will incorprate into gameplay that well. The demo I saw shows a little delay in when you swing and your character swings and that's gonna put me off. With golf it's OK because you're looking down and not at the screen when you swing so the delay doesn't bother you but with tennis you're always looking at the screen when you swing so it kinda looks off and takes you out of the game. It's 1:1 but with that delay it doesn't translate well with tennis.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
So far, the one thing about Virtua Tennis 2009 that concerns me is that you have to re-calibrate the MotionPlus after every point, by pointing with your Remote at your controlled player. I'd think this could be distracting, and potentially interrupt any momentum in a match, particularly if you are playing against another human player who also has to stop and recalibrate after every point...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat
So far, the one thing about Virtua Tennis 2009 that concerns me is that you have to re-calibrate the MotionPlus after every point, by pointing with your Remote at your controlled player. I'd think this could be distracting, and potentially interrupt any momentum in a match, particularly if you are playing against another human player who also has to stop and recalibrate after every point...
Wow, really? I don't get why the game would make you do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat
Wow, you really have to do this with Virtua Tennis? That makes my purchase decision easy, Grand Slam Tennis it is!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 89
That would make no sense to recalibrate after EVERY point? Then again it is Sega....
Old 05-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
If it's as simple as pointing the remote at the character, I don't think it'd be a huge problem.

Unless the pointing has to be dead-on or something, I don't think you'd actually have to stop to do it -- just a flick of the wrist is all it should take.

Oh well, we'll see for sure in a few weeks.

I wish there was more info out on these two games, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »