Home

NHL 10 Video: New Goalie Animation

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Video: New Goalie Animation within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 10 Video: New Goalie Animation

I didn't think there was anything wrong with that animation. It looked great.

And didn't anyone else notice that the puck physics seemed to be improved? In 09, that puck would have flown off to the right corner after hitting the right-post.
But in this video you can see the puck is on edge so when it hit the outer-post, it ricocheted awkwardly back to the other side. Great stuff!

About Luongo, I really don't care that the didn't turn his head to look for the puck. It's a video game. If sacrificing players swiveling their heads was needed in order to beef up the AI, tune puck physics, add grinding elements, upgrade GM mode and BAP while adding a playoff mode, then by all means I don't give a crap if a goalie doesn't rotate his head and move his eyeballs in trying to locate the puck.

Last edited by Money99; 06-30-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Warp? You mean that push off the skate at the end? Seriously, what are people complaining about here? Go look at the bizarre, nightmarish animations in MLB 2K9. Or the next-to-transitionless animations in the Madden 10 vids -- they make the game look like it's running at 10 fps, lol. You'll come back here with a renewed appreciation for the animations in this game.
Relax, I love the game and think it's looking great, I only watched it twice so maybe he did push off, but the animation still looks weird. Just my opinion.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #59
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
That video is about a month old, so some stuff has changed. Three months from the retail date doesn't mean there are three months left to work on it. Approvals and manufacturing need to fit in there too, so at the moment we are putting the final touches on the game.
What's funny is a lot of people had trouble scoring on the goalies in 09 first too. I had a buddy message me on Live, "I hate 09. I can't score."

Obviously 8 months later, people are going to have found some money goals and tricks, but honestly, without the glitches, I never found the goalies in 09 to be tremendously bad like some people make them out to be. A little over zealous with the desperation saves from time to time, and they sure struggle when the puck skips through their crease, but that's about it. With all the new animations and work that has gone into the goalies this year, I'm confident exploit goals will be less of a problem in 10 than they were in 09.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #60
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
What's funny is a lot of people had trouble scoring on the goalies in 09 first too. I had a buddy message me on Live, "I hate 09. I can't score."

Obviously 8 months later, people are going to have found some money goals and tricks, but honestly, without the glitches, I never found the goalies in 09 to be tremendously bad like some people make them out to be. A little over zealous with the desperation saves from time to time, and they sure struggle when the puck skips through their crease, but that's about it. With all the new animations and work that has gone into the goalies this year, I'm confident exploit goals will be less of a problem in 10 than they were in 09.
the goalies after the first patch were too good. They reminded me of the super goalies of nhl 2k3. I want them to be good, but not good to make up for the bad defensive AI.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
the goalies after the first patch were too good. They reminded me of the super goalies of nhl 2k3. I want them to be good, but not good to make up for the bad defensive AI.
Newss Flash! NHL Goalies are good.

I have a bunch of friends that played Jr and College hockey at high levels. They in turn have friends in the NHL and other big leagues in Europe.

They say that NHL goalies for the most part will stop any puck they can see.....barring a perfect shot, or a misplay on there end. Goals come when forcing the goalie to move quickley side to side. Traffic in front. Or just being beat in close on a quick release.

People forget even crud goalies in the NHL have save percentages just under .900 that means they stop 9 out of 10 shots....and they are the worst ones....

Source...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ercentage&pg=2

Sometimes I really wonder what people think about sports in this forum and the baseball one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy

I have a bunch of friends that played Jr and College hockey at high levels. They in turn have friends in the NHL and other big leagues in Europe.

They say that NHL goalies for the most part will stop any puck they can see.....barring a perfect shot, or a misplay on there end. Goals come when forcing the goalie to move quickley side to side. Traffic in front. Or just being beat in close on a quick release.

People forget even crud goalies in the NHL have save percentages just under .900 that means they stop 9 out of 10 shots....and they are the worst ones....

Source...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ercentage&pg=2

Sometimes I really wonder what people think about sports in this forum and the baseball one.
I know theyre good. Its just not fun when you have 30 quality chances to the CPU's 4, and youre losing 4-0.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I know theyre good. Its just not fun when you have 30 quality chances to the CPU's 4, and youre losing 4-0.
Good point. The CPU's goalies are good, while the user's is not.

But it sounds like that's been fixed in '10. Can't wait.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy

It has nothing to do with how good goalies are in the NHL. It's a matter of gameplay balance in the video version of the sport. For many of us, goalie skill is out of balance in relation to the rest of the gameplay. I can easily skate up the ice, for example. I can walk into the CPU's zone, every rush. I can skate around in circles and the CPU can't touch me. I can kill penalties by simply skating up and down the ice, and the CPU will never touch the puck. But I seldom score more than 1 goal a game -- the goalies play like Jacques Plante incarnate.

The gameplay is out of whack. Goalies need to play less like brick walls and CPU defenders need to check with some intensity.

Last edited by baa7; 06-30-2009 at 03:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »