Home

NHL 2K10 Video Preview (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10 Video Preview (Gamespot) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 17
Re: NHL 2K10 Video Preview (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I thought it looked noticably better than 2K9. The players aren't all hunched over and holding their sticks the way one holds a baseball bat or golf club, which is how they skated last year.
Quote:
So you didn't notice that there was no longer 2 or more players always chasing the puck carrier and instead were playing more man to man?

I'm not talking about hunched over players. I'm talking about skating animations and the odd animations. Case in point, at 3:32 game clock of the Sharks/Kings footage, the Sharks throw a puck at the net and a teammate skates in front of the shot as a screen or for a deflection. He skates right into the boards and then magically skates backwards back to the front of the net. Totally unrealistic and just odd looking. 13:39 of the same matchup, a Shark tries to check O'Donnell at the point instead of playing positionally and blocking a potential shot or pass. Needless to say, he misses the hit miserably and is now horribly out of position. Personally, I've never noticed the two player chasing the puck that much in 2k9, unlike in 2k8.

Sorry fellas, from my personal point of view, the game doesn't look that much different. But, who can really tell from a few quick clips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #66
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Personally, I've never noticed the two player chasing the puck that much in 2k9
All I can say is WOW. This is one of the things that drives me crazy on 2K9 for the 360 and it happens constantly.

Quote:
13:39 of the same matchup, a Shark tries to check O'Donnell at the point instead of playing positionally and blocking a potential shot or pass. Needless to say, he misses the hit miserably and is now horribly out of position.
This I did notice, but we'll see if it's a common occurance on the full game or not.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
All I can say is WOW. This is one of the things that drives me crazy on 2K9 for the 360 and it happens constantly.
Maybe it was your gameplay settings?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
13:39 of the same matchup, a Shark tries to check O'Donnell at the point instead of playing positionally and blocking a potential shot or pass. Needless to say, he misses the hit miserably and is now horribly out of position. Personally, I've never noticed the two player chasing the puck that much in 2k9, unlike in 2k8.
It was actually there new Incidental Animation that caused hiim to check the guy at the point and miss.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #69
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I disagree about the animation. I think the animation is better in 2K.
Scott, when I play NHL 09, the game oozes "NHL hockey." Simply put, it looks like a very close representation of what NHL hockey looks like: player models, player movement, etc. When I look at 2K's game, it looks like a cartoon representation of the sport. Player models are wrong; the goalies in particular are very wrong and way off; the players simply don't skate in the way people skate. There's very little about it that reminds me I'm playing NHL hockey. That's what I'm saying. I'm not talking about gameplay, I'm talking about the visual impact.

You can see the same thing with MLB 2K9 and The Show. The Show for the most part looks like MLB players playing MLB baseball. Whereas MLB 2K9 is again like a cartoon in comparison. The animations don't even look human a good portion of the time. Madden is the same way to me, BTW. There is absolutely nothing about Madden that says "NFL football" to me when I watch it in motion. It's maybe the worst sports game of all as far as that goes.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #70
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
Icon13 Re: NHL 2K10 Video Preview (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaStar911
you must be joking right? PES is 100 times better than fifa gameplay wise, have you seen pes 2010, graphic wise, fifa is not even close, gameplay wise, pes is better this year so your argument doesn't stand. sorry
Oh man, I dunno about that. Have you played any of the fifa's since 07? EA Canada develops both FIFA and NHL, and they are both really good now.
That being said, I tend to enjoy both EA and 2k's hockey games every year, and this year looks better than last.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #71
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
When I look at 2K's game, it looks like a cartoon representation of the sport.
It's funny how many people I've seen say this about each game. Maybe because it's a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #72
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

I think both of them look like cartoons. Like you said it's a video game. I would give the more cartoony (is that a word) look to EA not as a diss but because it's more colorful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »