Home

NBA Live 10: Changing the Game (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10: Changing the Game (Gamespot) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 60
That ratings talk has got me hyped. Looking forward to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #26
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Gamespot Preview

Hey Beluba...The new "direct pass receiver control" sounds like Live's version of 2k's "icon lead passing"....is this correct? I asked you if Live would incorporate something like icon lead passing..you told me that you might - is this "receiver control" what you were referring to. It seems quite similar in its function.

I have some concerns about this receiver control however. When you hold down the left trigger and then hold down the receiver's icon button, is there a delay before you actually have control of the receiver, or does the receiver control kick in instantly?

I'm also not clear on how freestyle passing works. do you actually click down and hold on the left stick to activate it, then you use the right stick to pass? is this correct?

If you use the right stick to pass, how exactly does it work? Like if you have a teammate on your right that you want to pass to, you flick the right stick to the right and it will pass to him? i can see this being problematic if multiple teammates are bunched together and you want to pass to one of them - the game might not recognize which teammate you want to pass to and it may result in the pass going to the wrong player.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-23-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #27
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
Hey Beluba...The new "direct pass receiver control" sounds like Live's version of 2k's "icon lead passing"....is this correct? I asked you if Live would incorporate something like icon lead passing..you told me that you might - is this "receiver control" what you were referring to. It seems quite similar in its function.

I have some concerns about this receiver control however. When you hold down the left trigger and then hold down the receiver's icon button, is there a delay before you actually have control of the receiver, or does the receiver control kick in instantly?

I'm also not clear on how freestyle passing works. do you actually click down and hold on the left stick to activate it, then you use the right stick to pass? is this correct?

If you use the right stick to pass, how exactly does it work? Like if you have a teammate on your right that you want to pass to, you flick the right stick to the right and it will pass to him? i can see this being problematic if multiple teammates are bunched together and you want to pass to one of them - the game might not recognize which teammate you want to pass to and it may result in the pass going to the wrong player.
It's similar to icon lead passing in 2k but 100 times better. It's one of my favorite new mechanics in Live as it gives you complete control over your receivers and is incredibly easy to do. and no, you have control right away. There's no delay.

Regarding freestyle passing, there was a typo in the gamespot preview, it works by holding the icon pass button (LT or L2 ps3) not left stick. So basically when you're holding down direct pass, you're in passing mode and your right stick becomes a pass stick. It's like robotron, the direction you move your right stick is the direction of the pass.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: NBA Live 10: Changing the Game (Gamespot)

Man NBA videogames are just awesome. Competition you can tell if forcing the Live and 2k devs to put so much effort into their games. Hopefully Madden and the Baseball games can take some notes.

Anyways, Beluba if Im playing a game will I be able to have great passes? Not one video game has ever had good passes in a game. I feel like this could be the first. For example will I be able to throw a bullet between two defenders to find one of my teammates going backdoor for a dunk? Would make me send my money too you right now. Also any flashy passes like behind the back or no-looks? Not too big of a deal but would be sweet.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
It's similar to icon lead passing in 2k but 100 times better. It's one of my favorite new mechanics in Live as it gives you complete control over your receivers and is incredibly easy to do. and no, you have control right away. There's no delay.

Regarding freestyle passing, there was a typo in the gamespot preview, it works by holding the icon pass button (LT or L2 ps3) not left stick. So basically when you're holding down direct pass, you're in passing mode and your right stick becomes a pass stick. It's like robotron, the direction you move your right stick is the direction of the pass.
W.O.W sounds goOd to me...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #30
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Man NBA videogames are just awesome. Competition you can tell if forcing the Live and 2k devs to put so much effort into their games. Hopefully Madden and the Baseball games can take some notes.

Anyways, Beluba if Im playing a game will I be able to have great passes? Not one video game has ever had good passes in a game. I feel like this could be the first. For example will I be able to throw a bullet between two defenders to find one of my teammates going backdoor for a dunk? Would make me send my money too you right now. Also any flashy passes like behind the back or no-looks? Not too big of a deal but would be sweet.
there's no shortage of highlight passes in this year's game. That was actually the original intention of the freestyle pass feature. At one point every pass was a behind the back or no look. The actual mechanic just felt so good that we opted to turn it into an all encompassing passing stick. But regardless, freestyle passing is still the best way to get a flashy assist.

Maybe the biggest improvement to the passing game though is the offball movement of your teammates. They move with a much greater sense of purpose and do a better job at capitalizing on cutting to open spots. It really opens up the floor and makes for much more interesting basketball.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
there's no shortage of highlight passes in this year's game. That was actually the original intention of the freestyle pass feature. At one point every pass was a behind the back or no look. The actual mechanic just felt so good that we opted to turn it into an all encompassing passing stick. But regardless, freestyle passing is still the best way to get a flashy assist.

Maybe the biggest improvement to the passing game though is the offball movement of your teammates. They move with a much greater sense of purpose and do a better job at capitalizing on cutting to open spots. It really opens up the floor and makes for much more interesting basketball.
That sounds pretty cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #32
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:

You sound really ecxited about the passing...Does it work correctly in context to big men... like being a good passer but not super flasy...ie Shaq

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »