Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #25
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN)

Very poor write-up as he was all over the board. Its obvious he did not go in with a gameplan and spent about 3 hours with the game.

Anyway, why would they do a separate function for a defensive swing? A defensive swing is a reaction not a predetermined thought, imo. The easy solution would be not to use it but not sure why they felt the need to add something like that? To me it should be part of the contact swing and based on the batter's ability to fight off pitches. What the hell do I know, lol!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #26
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Very poor write-up as he was all over the board. Its obvious he did not go in with a gameplan and spent about 3 hours with the game.

Anyway, why would they do a separate function for a defensive swing? A defensive swing is a reaction not a predetermined thought, imo. The easy solution would be not to use it but not sure why they felt the need to add something like that? To me it should be part of the contact swing and based on the batter's ability to fight off pitches. What the hell do I know, lol!
I don't know, I can see merit in it. Some guys go up there (particularly with two strikes) and just try to slap the ball in play. To that end, it is a conscious effort to change the swing, so it makes sense to represent it in some fashion. I see the point that it doesn't necessarily need to be manual, but it could actually help add more depth to the pitcher/batter matchup depending on how well it's implemented IMO.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

They simplified the pitching controls & provided an option to make the game quicker..Added a msg box that displays the pitch type.Rather then improve upon.. the graphics are a bit .....worse.

I really am looking foward to this./
Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I don't know, I can see merit in it. Some guys go up there (particularly with two strikes) and just try to slap the ball in play. To that end, it is a conscious effort to change the swing, so it makes sense to represent it in some fashion. I see the point that it doesn't necessarily need to be manual, but it could actually help add more depth to the pitcher/batter matchup depending on how well it's implemented IMO.
I just see it as being frustrating. Basically if you have two strikes with your hitter, you are saying to yourself that your next pitch is going to be a defensive swing. Because there is no way you are going to be able to think contact and last minute decide defensive. Way too much, imo.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 5

Man am I happy I got a PS3 .The hands on has already convinced me not to pre order or buy this game.The show is the way to go.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #30
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I just see it as being frustrating. Basically if you have two strikes with your hitter, you are saying to yourself that your next pitch is going to be a defensive swing. Because there is no way you are going to be able to think contact and last minute decide defensive. Way too much, imo.
I think we are looking at two different things. To clarify, I agree 100% that switching to a "defensive swing" on the fly would be frustrating and probably pointless if the contact swing works right. I'm thinking more along the lines of going up there with the predetermined mindset to "protect the plate" and just put the bat on the ball. There would be no real power behind it...just base contact. That's how I'm viewing this addition (if anyone played 2K7, pressing UP on the stick would do something like this...but control lag made it sketchy at best).

To that end, I can see where it would add depth to the controls. As I said...certainly not necessary, but I can see it as adding depth to the user control in those settings. I think it falls in line with their development philosophy...2K usually tries to offer as much user control as possible (to a fault at times, perhaps). We'll see how it works out. At least, like you said, it's not required for use for those that don't want to bother.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 01-13-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #31
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I think we are looking at two different things. To clarify, I agree 100% that switching to a "defensive swing" on the fly would be frustrating and probably pointless if the contact swing works right. I'm thinking more along the lines of going up there with the predetermined mindset to "protect the plate" and just put the bat on the ball. There would be no real power behind it...just base contact. That's how I'm viewing this addition (if anyone played 2K7, pressing UP on the stick would do something like this...but control lag made it sketchy at best).

To that end, I can see where it would add depth to the controls. As I said...certainly not necessary, but I can see it as adding depth to the user control in those settings. I think it falls in line with their development philosophy...2K usually tries to offer as much user control as possible (to a fault at times, perhaps). We'll see how it works out. At least, like you said, it's not required for use for those that don't want to bother.

I understand where you are coming from. I could see it in 3-2 counts looking for the walk or 0-2 counts trying to stay a live. We shall see!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

No mention of anything with fielding and the animations. That is by far the biggest issue to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »