Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #41
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN)

I don't like the defensive swing being a separate "function" neither. Maybe seeing it first hand will clear up doubt that I have about it, but I wonder if it will be too successful thus cutting down significantly the number of strikeouts? Also, I wonder if their is a separate rating for defensive swing or what, if any, ratings does it utilize to determine a hitter's success using it?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #42
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Defensive swing is the exact same thing that was in 2K7 where you flicked up on the stick to foul off pitches. It seems they are bringing it back, for whatever I do not know.

I did not like it or use it because it felt too arcade. As if every player was so perfect they can just foul off pitches till they get what their choosing. I would not make use of this feature.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1182
I know right. This IGN hands-on was horrible. Hopefully Gamespot does a better job.
he probably couldn't find much good to say and didn't want to rip the game before it was even out.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #44
All Star

OVR: 35

If they didn't fix how the outfielders moved, I'm not interested. I think I'm going back to MVP 04 on the PC.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #45

OVR: 34

The defensive swing is a good addition. It happens in baseball. The writer didn't explain it thoroughly, but what he did state is that it is difficult to time it. You have to time it and determine that's what you want to do. That makes complete sense.

This is not a "fourth strike" option. it's not like you can flick your stick left or right and you are guaranteed a foul off. This is about gauging the count and pitch selection and defending your current situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #46
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
The defensive swing is a good addition. It happens in baseball. The writer didn't explain it thoroughly, but what he did state is that it is difficult to time it. You have to time it and determine that's what you want to do. That makes complete sense.

This is not a "fourth strike" option. it's not like you can flick your stick left or right and you are guaranteed a foul off. This is about gauging the count and pitch selection and defending your current situation.

It is the same thing that was in 2K7. They only switched it to left or right instead of just flicking up.

IMO, having it on a separate swing mechanic, now poses problems as far as a natural feel to hitting, and crosses into the lines of sim or not.

Where as in The Show for instance. 1-2 count 2-2 count or even 3-2 count, you see a pitching coming in that will be borderline, and it tails outside or too high or too low in the zone, you know swinging at it last minute is going to most likely foul it off with a good vision hitter to stay alive for another pitch. It feels natural because you are still using the same swing mechanic.

That gameplay mechanic is incorporated into the batter interface. Where as having this have its own swing mechanic that is not a part of the batter interface, just feels cheap IMO, and almost takes you out of the experience. It did not work well with flicking up on the stick in 2K7, and having it even more unorthodox to your swing, it seems even worse.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 01-14-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #47
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Hands on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
John Kruk has been added? I think that if he can sound lively and mesh well with Thorne and Phillips, I'm all for it... but I don't know if I've ever heard him call a baseball game, I've only seen him on Baseball Tonight..
You know, as a Yankees fan I can't stand John Kruk. He seems to always have a grudge against them.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #48
DickDalewood

OVR:

Hmmm:

"There were still moments of graphical slowdown – mainly when the swing analyzer popped up to show me my poor timing – but there's little doubt that it was running smoother than it was last year. The visuals have taken a bit of a hit because of the goal of delivering a more fluid framerate..."

They toned down the visuals even more and are STILL having some slight framerate issues?

Other than that, some of the stuff sounded pretty good. I definitely like the MLB Today feature. The new pitching sounds a little better, although I'm wondering if the "Hitters Eye" will make hitting too easy now.

Sometimes I got the feeling the writer hasn't played man baseball videogames though. He mentions you could use face buttons for throws... you could do that last year. He also mentions that "we gamers must make do with what we're given... and that's the MLB 2K series." That's... not the only option. Unless of course he was trying to say he was an Xbox only owner.

I'll be looking forward to other write-ups, etc, but this one was decent I guess.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »