Home

Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #41
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
How did you feel about the removal of the "sprint" button? I dont know if you play the EA NHL series but I love the way the analog stick, and ratings control how fast you move in that game.

Is the analog responsive enough to handle the lack of a sprint button? What I mean by this is if I see a hole can I jam the left stick up and the player will immediately start accelerating into his sprint?

Also, could you elaborate a little more on the new kicking meter?

Thanks for any feedback!

EDIT: When you say the pre-play controls were streamlined. Was it similar to the old PS2 pre-play controls? Those were infinitely better then what we have now.
It took me a while to stop pressing down on the RT for turbo, but I really like how it's implemented. As a semi "sim" guy I like how acceleration and speed bursts are determined by a players ratings vs. me spamming a button. The analog is very responsive, and the end result is a lot like NHL (speedier players are more responsive than grinders).

Kicking meter is a lot like a Tiger Woods putting meter. It's a horizontal bar that you click a button on when it hits the desired power. It's very basic and I was not able to see how it differentiated with different kickers. Quite honestly I am not that big of a fan, even though Ian explained that it was the best way to differentiate kickers.

The pre play controls are integrated to the right stick and then you are given a menu on screen a lot like NCAA's (visual circle telling you where to move the analog stick, etc.).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS)

I do not understand why anyone thinks removing the "sprint" button is a good idea. The sticks on both the current gen consoles absolutely suck, they are not stiff enough or sensitive enough and this just takes more control out of the user's hands - absolutely stupid and lazy way to deal with CPU not taking proper pursuit angles.

In football, you don't always run at full speed, there are times when you are running close to it, but holding back or setting up your feet for a move and then you turn on that top gear. This makes that more difficult for the user to replicate and is the single dumbest idea ever. This isn't hockey, this is football and the analog sticks are not done well enough for this to work properly and with "sprint" being off by default that means it probally is now a turbo button instead of full sprint which it should be - dumb, dumb, dumb!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #43
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Can you comment on the run blocking assignments and execution?
Blocking is much better- players have assignments, and if they lose a guy will seek out someone to block that makes sense. Huge improvement.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #44
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

I still can't understand how games are going to take 30 minutes. I use Ask Madden on O and D about 90% of the time. I'm using 15 minute quarters with 20 second runoff and games are taking an hour or slightly less.

Game Flow sounds like a great addition, but I'm not sure how it would cut the time to play games down to 30 minutes.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #45
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Christian. As posted by Boregard, in this thread. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-controls.html

Did you see anything like this?
Did not see this. Can not confirm. It was very limited as to how much I could fool around with the game while I had my hands on time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #46
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I don't believe the choppy animations are over at all. Even in the warm up vids you can still see the lack of fluid animations. That's a rendering problem, not an animation problem.

Love the quote on Gameflow... has to be an instant classic... 'because of the depth that it's simplicity provides'. I'm hungry for some jumbo shrimp.

Gameflow makes you feel like a real head coach? How? You're not doing anything in the game. Maybe it makes you feel like a QB, but a head coach? I don't see it.

The videos haven't shown a real pocket developing, and most of the guys continue to drop back 10 yards on plays. You'll even see Guards rush forward 2 to 3 yards to make a block on PASSING plays instead of protecting the pocket.
I agree....in both NCAA and Madden the QBs are still floating around too much........If they're not going to make the pass rush come up field, at least slow the Qbs down back there...............hmmm

THats makes me wonder though....if theres no sprint button then will the QBs ever sprint around back there and be able to take off if they see a lane??

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #47
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
I still dont understand how Gameflow is going to make the game go any faster than it already goes. I'm not seeing what exactly is being taken out that will cut the game to half hour vice 1 to 1 hour and a half?

I utilize the Ask Madden feature and then pick one of the plays in that selection, doesn't take long at all. My games still last for a good hour. What is gameflow going to do that'll make my games go faster that I'm not already doing? See what I'm getting at?
The cpu picks the play for you based on the situation, you do not spend time in the playcalling screen. You can rate plays, and set up a playbook to customize this, but in game you do not even mess around in a menu like ask madden when using gameflow.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #48
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I do not understand why anyone thinks removing the "sprint" button is a good idea. The sticks on both the current gen consoles absolutely suck, they are not stiff enough or sensitive enough and this just takes more control out of the user's hands - absolutely stupid and lazy way to deal with CPU not taking proper pursuit angles.

In football, you don't always run at full speed, there are times when you are running close to it, but holding back or setting up your feet for a move and then you turn on that top gear. This makes that more difficult for the user to replicate and is the single dumbest idea ever. This isn't hockey, this is football and the analog sticks are not done well enough for this to work properly and with "sprint" being off by default that means it probally is now a turbo button instead of full sprint which it should be - dumb, dumb, dumb!!!
This is where the locomotion engine comes into play. Players will ramp up to top speed based on acceleration ratings and if they get into the open field. Trust me, the game feels awesome when you get past the second layer of defense and your player hits full stride. Simulation guys are going to love this once they get their hands on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »