Home

NHL 11 First Hands-On Impressions (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NHL 11 First Hands-On Impressions (Gamespot) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 11 First Hands-On Impressions (Gamespot)

Gamespot has just posted their hands-on impressions of NHL 11. New physics, huge hits, and broken sticks promise to have a big impact in EA Sports' upcoming hockey game.

Quote:
"Elsewhere, the development team is extending the control a player will have with the right stick by completely overhauling the face-off system, which Ramjagsingh calls the number-one request from NHL series fans. Now, you'll have multiple options when squaring off in the circle, including whether you choose to use a forehand or backhand grip on your stick before the puck drops. By pushing forward with the right stick, you push at your opponent's stick, and by pushing back, you'll swipe for the puck once it hits the ice. You can even push your opponent off the puck once it drops by pushing forward with the left stick and take a quick shot off a face-off pass by pushing forward with the right stick.

Finally, there is one other detail that should please hockey fans: Broken sticks are in NHL 11. They won't occur in every game you play, but they'll be frequent enough to make the game realistic. If a player loses a stick, you'll still be able to control him--if the puck gets near, he'll kick it to keep it out of play and even try to snatch it out of the air for high shots. A nearby teammate might offer your player a stick to borrow, and you can also skate to the bench to pick up some replacement lumber. My time with NHL 11 was limited, and I didn't get to experience the full six-on-six gameplay, so I'm very interested to see not just how the new physics engine affects collisions in a proper game, but also how the AI players handle the engine's capabilities. Based on past experience, I'm optimistic that the change will be a good one for the series and will follow up with another report soon. Look for more on NHL 11 throughout the summer and beyond."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 11 First Hands-On Impressions (Gamespot)

This game is going to be sick! It might be as good as the Show. They really are giving you a lot of things to do! I love it!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5

There's like 6-7 new screens as well, Looking good. Arenas still look a little generic but other than that it looks good. I hope there is an option to fully turn off the puck shadow this year. The small puck shadow option was still noticeable. It would be nice to have it completely off.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Pro

Lubey's Arena

OVR: 10

Hopefully when there's slashing penalties sometimes sticks break.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Now, you'll have multiple options when squaring off in the circle, including whether you choose to use a forehand or backhand grip on your stick before the puck drops. By pushing forward with the right stick, you push at your opponent's stick, and by pushing back, you'll swipe for the puck once it hits the ice. You can even push your opponent off the puck once it drops by pushing forward with the left stick and take a quick shot off a face-off pass by pushing forward with the right stick.
I'm pumped about more variety on face offs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 30
Can't wait to check out this new engine in this game and NBA Elite 11....and, most likely, where it should be going to - Madden 12.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

am i the only one who thinks the hits in this game are already way too much....watch a real nhl game and let me know how many humongous hits there really is
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45
am i the only one who thinks the hits in this game are already way too much....watch a real nhl game and let me know how many humongous hits there really is
Gotta agree. I think a slider for hitting difficulty is in the game though. I can still lineup any forward who skates down the boards 60-75% of the time.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »