Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #57
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Backbreaker Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneRanger1
Everyone is waiting for the great football game messiah and it definitely is not backbreaker,I don't agree with the way the review was written but I definitely agree that this game doesn't deserve anything higher than a 5 rating. You cant give a game a 7 just because its not a Madden title or because the graphics are pretty.

Agree 110%.

With major AI adjustments Backbreaker will be much much better, but right now I dont think Backbreaker or Madden provide the experience most are looking for.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Either way, as with any review, I do think people get too worked up about it. .... Really, reviews should be more about creating a discussion then worrying about the score or being considered a "troll" or something else like that.
I doubt EA thinks that way when this sight puts up a review of Madden or NCAA.

I agree with you though. With all the ways to get your hands on the game and see coverage of it reviews have taken a reduced role in my purchasing decision.

Last edited by mbmonk; 06-09-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #59
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Most of us here on OS have been following the Backbreaker updates over the last couple years. However, alot of casual gamers will stumble across it in a videogame store or wherever and want to seek more info about it. So I think it should be stated how revolutionary the tackling animations and physics are. I mean that's what BB is all about and that's how they got started so I don't see why a reviewer would totally exclude it. At this point everyone knows there is an interception issue so maybe that should be excluded in the review as well?

And I'm not sure if gameplay has consistently been rated as "The most important aspect" in OS reviews. We're not supposed to mention other games in the BB forum so I won't even go there.

And I'm not worked up, there are far better things in life to worry about. Just adding my input is all, and I'm out. Peace!
Ha, I must say I'm happy I don't review football games, or really any games at this point, because it's tough to be a reviewer. I think you are being intentionally snarky (I love some good snark) because even if you don't agree with the review(s), I'm pretty sure everyone feels pretty strongly that gameplay is all-important. Whether that shines through in the writing is another argument I suppose.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #60
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
I doubt EA thinks that way when this sight puts up a review of Madden or NCAA.

I agree with you though.
Yeah, I mean obviously some people within any company do and some people don't, but that's a different group than the general public.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 21

I think the biggest mistake the Devs made for this game is not have some sort of mode where people could practice passing.

I remember my first impression of the game was, this aint good, and that was mainly stemming from my own inability to play the way I wanted to play.

Once you learn the game, you can see how good this game can be. Its a shame peoples frustrations are gonna win out over taking the time to learn what the game has to offer. Its also most of the reviews given of the game are by people who really don't know how to play the game.

The devs should really look at adding a practice mode as DLC and patch for the other issues.

I
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #62
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
There is a free demo out there, which is the only problem I have with the cost argument. Plus, I'm just not sure if you should be basing a purchase on one outlet's review in either case. I mean I do get the argument, I really do, but I just was pointing out there are other ways.

Beyond that, I'm not in the reviewer's head so I can't tell you what is important to him or not. I do know not every reviewer likes to write 10,000 word reviews, so he chose to focus on a couple things and move on from there.

I don't mind the criticism of the review though, I will say that. I think it's fine to critique the review and even the outlet in a constructive way because it's not going to hurt anything -- probably can only help it.
Agreed, but like it or not, you guys have had the success and now have the following to warrant people looking to you as experts or at least a very strong authority on sporting games.

You are a victim of your own success here and are going to have a tough time using the I am not a role model defense.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #63
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I think the biggest mistake the Devs made for this game is not have some sort of mode where people could practice passing.

I remember my first impression of the game was, this aint good, and that was mainly stemming from my own inability to play the way I wanted to play.

Once you learn the game, you can see how good this game can be. Its a shame peoples frustrations are gonna win out over taking the time to learn what the game has to offer. Its also most of the reviews given of the game are by people who really don't know how to play the game.

The devs should really look at adding a practice mode as DLC and patch for the other issues.

I
I agree!!! At the beginning I thought this game is ok, but the passing was terrible. Once I grasped it this game really came alive. I am having a harder time running the ball than I am passing now. I just wish they had a larger playbook.

Last edited by DirtyCobra; 06-09-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #64
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Ha, I must say I'm happy I don't review football games, or really any games at this point, because it's tough to be a reviewer. I think you are being intentionally snarky (I love some good snark) because even if you don't agree with the review(s), I'm pretty sure everyone feels pretty strongly that gameplay is all-important. Whether that shines through in the writing is another argument I suppose.
Ok, I'll admit I'm still pouting because we should be playing APF2K11 this year. 2K8 had probably the best gameplay in a football game ever (at least since 2K5 or Madden 2004) but all the reviews bashed it for being too generic. Well, that would've changed if it hung on a couple more years.

I feel the same way with Backbreaker, in that if it can manage to hang on we're going to be playing some nice football in the future. If anything I wish the review would've emphasized that instead of harping on turnovers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »