Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #65
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Backbreaker Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCobra
I agree!!! At the beginning I thought this game is ok, but the passing was terrible. Once I grasped it this game really came alive. I am having a harder time running the ball than I am passing now. I just wish they had a larger playbook.
Offensively I have found that you can get use to the game, but the more you get use to it, the more it begins to reveal the AI deficiencies. I have done everything to set the table against myself (Pro, Hard setting, random and very poor form, creating a super team and playing against it using a bare bones team, using only coach pick plays) and I still cant get the cpu to consistently beat me or even put up a consistent fight. Hopefully with Finn's editor this will change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #66
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
... if it can manage to hang on we're going to be playing some nice football in the future. If anything I wish the review would've emphasized that ...
This is a flawed view though, people are reviewing the game in the packaging, not the game that it could be after a patch, or after half a decade of refinement.

Last edited by mestevo; 06-09-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I remember my first impression of the game was, this aint good, and that was mainly stemming from my own inability to play the way I wanted to play.

Once you learn the game, you can see how good this game can be. Its a shame peoples frustrations are gonna win out over taking the time to learn what the game has to offer. Its also most of the reviews given of the game are by people who really don't know how to play the game.

The devs should really look at adding a practice mode as DLC and patch for the other issues.
People try to play this game as if it's Madden or 2k. That doesn't work. You have to learn how to play THIS game. So some reviewers tried to play it like Madden and they sucked at it.. then went to write up a review.

The people who actually tried to learn how to play this new game ( and not just apply their Madden logic), saw a different game than the above people.

But at the end of the day BB has major problems. And as great as the game is, it just wasn't ready for release in it's current state. It needed much more polish. So it's hard to give this game a great score from a review standpoint.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #68
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Agreed, but like it or not, you guys have had the success and now have the following to warrant people looking to you as experts or at least a very strong authority on sporting games.

You are a victim of your own success here and are going to have a tough time using the I am not a role model defense.
I don't disagree with the point, I just don't think a "review" is where we have to earn our keep or get buried. If we provide "expertise" all along the way, then the review shouldn't be the ultimate element of coverage. I do think it's important to have solid coverage throughout and up through the review, but a review is inherently going to cause issues with the readers -- they have opinions as well and won't always like what a reviewer says and so forth.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #69
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
This is a flawed view though, people are reviewing the game in the packaging, not the game that it could be after a patch, or after half a decade of refinement.
I agree with this as well. As much as I want that to be true and in my opinion think the same thing, we really have no way of knowing and I don't think we want reviewers taking potential into account at all. They should only review what is in front of them and then its up to us if we want to buy into potential.

That would be very similar to another football game that dissapoints yearly only to have many the next year say all over again, "just wait and see...this will be the year."
Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #70
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Offensively I have found that you can get use to the game, but the more you get use to it, the more it begins to reveal the AI deficiencies. I have done everything to set the table against myself (Pro, Hard setting, random and very poor form, creating a super team and playing against it using a bare bones team, using only coach pick plays) and I still cant get the cpu to consistently beat me or even put up a consistent fight. Hopefully with Finn's editor this will change.
I played a game last night..Skins vs Cowboys...I was up 24-6 at halftime.....CPU comes back and beats me 26-24. Romo throws a 24 yd strike to Bryant. I am finding that the game does offer me some challenge.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

I got no problem with the review. I would maybe make it a 6 myself. This game has some huge issues that it's followers just don't see as a big deal but many other people do. The could do a lot with this base if they want to though. I thought the review was fair, just a little short.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #72
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm disappointed that this game got 'reviewed' this way here but it doesn't surprise me.I respect my opinion and that's it,nobody elses.I'm quite sure what kinda reviews we'll see for the other 2 football games coming.I won't trust those either because I believe when it comes to those games reviewers are playing with a fixed hand if you get my drift.

On a side note;
Let's see if Finn's editor can help this game out with getting int's reasonable.

Last edited by gr18; 06-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »