Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insight: "Jordan Challenge" - Some Historic Teams Announced

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insight: "Jordan Challenge" - Some Historic Teams Announced within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #249
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insight: "Jordan Challenge" - Some Historic Teams Announced

Thats not a Jordan Challenge

This is not a wishlist thread either

This is about recreating events of MJ's career... I think you guys have it all wrong and you're missing what the purpose of this entire thing is.

Guys asking for teams that had NOTHING to do with defining moments in MJs career wasnt going to be in here anyhow.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #250
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insight: "Jordan Challenge" - Some Historic Teams Announced

I want the 1891 group of guys that Dr. Naismith coached. Please...pelase...!!!

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #251
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I want the 1891 group of guys that Dr. Naismith coached. Please...pelase...!!!

Only if they have authentic peach baskets and face-offs after each score.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #252
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Thats not a Jordan Challenge

This is not a wishlist thread either

This is about recreating events of MJ's career... I think you guys have it all wrong and you're missing what the purpose of this entire thing is.

Guys asking for teams that had NOTHING to do with defining moments in MJs career wasnt going to be in here anyhow.
THAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU!! Buy this man a drink; and get youvalss one as well. They are not the only ones, but they are among the handful of guys who GET what 2K is doing here. I may need to stop reading these threads for a while, but it's hard not to as a Jordan fan.

Ask yourself this: why is 2K putting historic teams on THIS edition of their NBA game? If you don't know, go back and read some threads. If you do know, then ask yourself this: OK...what do the (insert RANDOM team from the past) have to do with a classic Jordan moment? If the answer is NOTHING, that team probably won't show up as unlockable, downloadable, etc.

I really don't want to sound like a jerk; if I do or if I've offended anyone I really am sorry. I want classic teams as much as the rest of you. But this isn't "The Classic Challenge"; it's "The Jordan Challenge." Jordan. Jor-dan. Maybe 2K will add them in a later game, but like "23" said--this is not a wishlist. Some of you are really setting yourselves up for a disappointment. Ooh ooh ooh--bring Manute Bol's 76ers! C'mon man.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #253
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Looking back, I'm not sure Anderson would go for the steal. Being swept in the finals...maybe he would have preferred the Bulls playing in the finals, and having a hard time vs. the Rockets.
And MJ's revenge the following year - sweeping the Magic...
Very true, I know those 4 missed free throws still haunt his dreams...if only one of those had gone in, it could have possibly been a series.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #254
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yeah, it does seem many are missing the point about which teams made the cut for this. Jordan had to do something special against them. That's why I said that I'm glad the Pistons let Jordan have a good game against them in the 90 Eastern Conference Finals, because as a result, my favorite team of all-time is in the game. The downside of this is that only two of the teams outside of Chicago on the list actually won championships (a few other may have had it not been for the Bulls). So, it would be nice if maybe through DLC we were treated to a few classics not connected to Jordan.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how the teams will be rated. Expansion during that era watered down the depth of most of the teams. I really don't the think the second 3 Bulls Championship teams were as good as the first three, but assume people will look at their record as assume they were. The truth is they were able to pad those win totals against a lot of rosters full of players that wouldn't have been able to make it the league were it not for expansion. Really, the mid 80s to the early 90s was the very best time for the NBA. Lots of deep rosters and great teams. I hope the 85-86 Celtics and the 89-90 Pistons get their respect when it comes to how they are rated on the game. They should if the developers are really going for authenticity.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #255
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
THAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU!! Buy this man a drink; and get youvalss one as well. They are not the only ones, but they are among the handful of guys who GET what 2K is doing here. I may need to stop reading these threads for a while, but it's hard not to as a Jordan fan.

Ask yourself this: why is 2K putting historic teams on THIS edition of their NBA game? If you don't know, go back and read some threads. If you do know, then ask yourself this: OK...what do the (insert RANDOM team from the past) have to do with a classic Jordan moment? If the answer is NOTHING, that team probably won't show up as unlockable, downloadable, etc.

I really don't want to sound like a jerk; if I do or if I've offended anyone I really am sorry. I want classic teams as much as the rest of you. But this isn't "The Classic Challenge"; it's "The Jordan Challenge." Jordan. Jor-dan. Maybe 2K will add them in a later game, but like "23" said--this is not a wishlist. Some of you are really setting yourselves up for a disappointment. Ooh ooh ooh--bring Manute Bol's 76ers! C'mon man.
And to add to that the reason for that Suns team being left out seems to be Barkley, whether it's his asking price or him just not wanting to be in a video game period, though you'd think w/ his BFF MJ signed up he'd be down for it. But let's stress - it's only July. There's still a whole 2 months of stuff left, and something like 11 developer insights left. There's still more to come, just be patient. (Though I know that's hard for some, including me at times )

PSN: dsavbeast
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #256
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreihl
Yeah, it does seem many are missing the point about which teams made the cut for this. Jordan had to do something special against them. That's why I said that I'm glad the Pistons let Jordan have a good game against them in the 90 Eastern Conference Finals, because as a result, my favorite team of all-time is in the game. The downside of this is that only two of the teams outside of Chicago on the list actually won championships (a few other may have had it not been for the Bulls). So, it would be nice if maybe through DLC we were treated to a few classics not connected to Jordan.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how the teams will be rated. Expansion during that era watered down the depth of most of the teams. I really don't the think the second 3 Bulls Championship teams were as good as the first three, but assume people will look at their record as assume they were. The truth is they were able to pad those win totals against a lot of rosters full of players that wouldn't have been able to make it the league were it not for expansion. Really, the mid 80s to the early 90s was the very best time for the NBA. Lots of deep rosters and great teams. I hope the 85-86 Celtics and the 89-90 Pistons get their respect when it comes to how they are rated on the game. They should if the developers are really going for authenticity.
Excellent post.

And I agree with ya rangerrick. The ONLY team people are complaining about that I totally agree with is the '93 Suns, but you are right--Barkley had some similar issues being on games as Jordan did back in the day. The challenge could be average what MJ did in that series, because he tore the scoresheet up vs the Suns. But not only the challenge...I wouldn't mind actually playing some games with that squad: KJ, Sir Charles, the athletic Richard Dumas, and Thunder Dan were a nice four to have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »