Home

Madden NFL 11 Review

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #113
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 11 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORICAN
Really, second year of a suspect OS Madden review with glowing reviews. No wonder this game never improves.
Careful there my friend....and i agree
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #114
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
It is not about the review not matching what people want it to say, it is about the review not being objective..
A review is one man's opinion, and thus is is necessarily subjective.

Previews and 'fact sheets' are hard news. They state the simple truth. Whether a game is good or not is subjective, thus a review must be looked at as editorial. The idea is to look at a myriad of reviews and base an opinion on how your tastes fit the reviewers tastes.

Fact: Gladiator is a pseudo historic piece set in Imperial Rome during the reigns of Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus, circa 161 AD. The main character is a fictional Roman general who's family was unjustly murdered in order for the new emperor to secure his throne.

Opinion: Gladiator is a great film, with great acting, outstanding action sequences, and deep, sometimes disturbing characters.

A review is made up of both, usually, but a score on the quality of the game is a subjective opinion. A review is necessarily bias toward the writers opinion.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #115
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I had a long response typed up, responses to a few folks, but I doubt the post would've come off well. I'll just say wow, that was a very incomplete review. Not what I would expect at OS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #116
Banned

OVR: 4

OK, I've been warned about this, and I definitely want to abide by that warning, but I have an honest question, why is it that Madden naysayers always come off as "OK, this is what I think, and this is what you should think too, oh you like the game? no, you really don't, you're just too dumb to realize you shouldn't like it!"

I mean come on, that review was out for 5 minutes and the conspiracy theories started flying, is it really so hard to let others opinions breathe air as well?

I

Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #117
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

You have to almost apply a statistical regression analysis on the reviews (and the reactions to the reviews). You let the statistical outliers be just that, and discard them, and get a best fit line. I think the "best fit line" here is that the game is fun, good looking, and generally an improvement over the last version. This is particularly pleasing to me b/c this will be my first Madden on the current gen, and I have no preconceived notions about what to expect. If I have half as much fun playing it as I have NCAA, it will be well worth the purchase. I can always settle the offenses down by laying the slider hammer on them, so I'm not too concerned about that at all.

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #118
Rookie

OVR: 3
I read another review that covered every aspect of the gameplay and gave the game an overall okay. I read this review that covers every aspect of the game and you say it's great even after you mentioned Superstar and Franchise modes are lack luster. Note, I would have a problem with this review and score if they had left off important aspects of the game.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #119
Rookie

steelernation28's Arena

OVR: 21
The main problem to me is that based on the radio show last night the reviewer didn't seem to spend a whole lot of time with madden 10, not being able to remember if some features in '11 where brand new or had been in last year's game. To me, really a lot of the point of a review for me is to see what has gotten better from '10 and what has stayed the same. This review certainly lacked that perpective. Most comparisons were to ncaa 11. I would have been a lot more interested to hear about the fixes made from last year's madden and the improvements made to the features introduced in madden '10
Old 08-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #120
Staff Writer

OVR: 29
well, last year i was super critical of this title. you can see my blog and go over the Madden10 review. i am high on this year's madden. i went into depth about the control of the game because i feel that is the most important aspect of the game - i touched on that a bit last night during the show. if you don't have tight controls, the rest of the career modes don't matter.

as far as defense, i think the locomotion and pro-tak discussion all ties together into the discussion of defense. it isn't changed drastically, but there are new animations and the control feels good. not really much else to be said.

i especially enjoy defending deep passes like we discussed last night. i just took that section for granted i guess and got caught up in how much the offense plays so well now with a balanced attack. i think Madden11 is better than NCAA this year, and Chris believes NCAA is the best football game of all time. while NCAA has the best dynasty mode for football, i strongly feel that madden's controls this year trump NCAA in many areas.

thanks for reading though!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »