Home

NBA 2K11: MJ to the Lakers or Clippers, You Decide w/ New Screenshots (LA Times)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11: MJ to the Lakers or Clippers, You Decide w/ New Screenshots (LA Times) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: New Article at LA Times w/ new Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I'm not saying Jordan doesn't matter, I'm just saying that I read a lot of comments by people who think this game is all about Jordan and that it's not enough for them to pay $60. I can't say they're totally wrong, if that's the info they have about the game.
I think you are missing the point of the marketing strategy. They aren't the little guys in this genre anymore. They unfortunately, cannot market based on the fact, "we make a better game" anymore. They now have to market with bells and whistles. So although, they are making upgrades to the game, that can no longer be the driving force to make people buy the game. Like or not, as the new leader of basketball gaming, they have to market like EA used to. They have to have a WOW factor, and there is no bigger WOW factor than MJ. Next year, they'll have the axis of evil (Miami) on the cover, mark my words.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
I think you are missing the point of the marketing strategy. They aren't the little guys in this genre anymore. They unfortunately, cannot market based on the fact, "we make a better game" anymore. They now have to market with bells and whistles. So although, they are making upgrades to the game, that can no longer be the driving force to make people buy the game. Like or not, as the new leader of basketball gaming, they have to market like EA used to. They have to have a WOW factor, and there is no bigger WOW factor than MJ. Next year, they'll have the axis of evil (Miami) on the cover, mark my words.
I'm not saying MJ shouldn't be big part of the marketing. I'm saying that for many people it's all about that, and the perception is that "2K didn't make the game better or anything, all they did is getting Jordan. I'm going with Elite this year. Real time physics all the way baby!!!"

Not to make it a "vs" thread, of course, but there are many people out there who care about gameplay but don't know anything about the gameplay in 2K11, and all they hear about is "Jordan this", "Jordan that". Sure, 2K had to create a big boom around the game - and Jordan is there for it. But, again, there are many gamers who want the best gameplay and all they know is that Jordan is in the game and that's it.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat
My favorite pic so far, love it.

lol at that person imitating pau gasol. who is that guy? #16
Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
But, again, there are many gamers who want the best gameplay and all they know is that Jordan is in the game and that's it.
Again, that's not the casual gamer. That section of the population of basketball gamers, is no bigger than this section here at OS. NBA 2k10, I believe, was the #1 selling game in October 2009 (across all platforms), because Kobe was on the cover. Plus, EA is not confidently marketing Elite as a comparable option this year. Not on OS, and not anywhere else. You have to give credit where credit is due. 2k marketing guy, Ronnie, has done an amazing job over the last three years to maintain a presence on FB/Myspace/Twitter and the 2k website itself. It is no accident that you are hearing more about 2k than Elite this year.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
I'm not saying MJ shouldn't be big part of the marketing. I'm saying that for many people it's all about that, and the perception is that "2K didn't make the game better or anything, all they did is getting Jordan. I'm going with Elite this year. Real time physics all the way baby!!!"

Not to make it a "vs" thread, of course, but there are many people out there who care about gameplay but don't know anything about the gameplay in 2K11, and all they hear about is "Jordan this", "Jordan that". Sure, 2K had to create a big boom around the game - and Jordan is there for it. But, again, there are many gamers who want the best gameplay and all they know is that Jordan is in the game and that's it.
the casual gamer doesn't think that way. Sim players are not casual gamers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2
idk why ppl keep saying... "shorts too baggy" like damn wtf u want tight like leggins?? damn it look good too me
Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Again, that's not the casual gamer. That section of the population of basketball gamers, is no bigger than this section here at OS. NBA 2k10, I believe, was the #1 selling game in October 2009 (across all platforms), because Kobe was on the cover. Plus, EA is not confidently marketing Elite as a comparable option this year. Not on OS, and not anywhere else. You have to give credit where credit is due. 2k marketing guy, Ronnie, has done an amazing job over the last three years to maintain a presence on FB/Myspace/Twitter and the 2k website itself. It is no accident that you are hearing more about 2k than Elite this year.
I can keep this discussion going, but there's no point. 2K is doing a good job, but they should make sure that all other aspects of the game are advetised as well. That's all I'm going to say.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

most of the people making those comments are live fanboys who run to everything 2k to leave negative comments 2k fanboys do the same thing so it all fair game, people will decided when the demo hits and all the reviews come out which is the better game, but getting back to the article besides the new photos of MJ this is the only other new info from the article "All of the off-seaon trades and pickups are on the disk, and if you hook your game system up to the Web, as players are moved or are injured you have the option of having your season sync with real life" this is great news not I can play with current rosters in my season all year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »