Home

F1 2010 Impressions (PS3, 360, PC)

This is a discussion on F1 2010 Impressions (PS3, 360, PC) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #169
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: F1 2010 Impressions (PS3, 360, PC)

I think this game is getting an unfair wrap in terms of realism. Of course it's not a hardcore sim, but that doesn't automatically mean the game is unrealistic either. If you compare it to Ferrari Virtual Academy you'll actually find that the two are somewhat similar. FVA is developed in part by Ferrari race engineers with input from their drivers & uses real telemetry data from their F10. The game also uses the Netkar Pro engine, which arguably has some of the most realistic physics out there.

So if F1 2010 isn't too far off from a sim that's straight from the horses mouth so to speak, then I really don't get where some of these guys are coming from when they say that the game is unrealistic. The only thing I find unrealistic when comparing it to FVA or iRacing is the FFB. The FFB in 2010 really needs a complete overhaul, but other than that the driving physics are pretty solid. Slightly watered down, but by no means are they unrealistic.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #170
MVP

OVR: 17

After qualifying 17th...

Race attempt 1 at Bahrain: Running 15th, but had a tire blow out on TURN 1 (LAP 5) and then proceeded to take out half the field trying to get into the pits.

Restarted

Race 2 at Bahrain: fell victim to the Pit Stop bug. Went from 19th to 24 but got up to 21. Beat my teammate however.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #171
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Just to confirm this, F1:2010 is a GFWL game through Microsoft, but Codemasters decided not to make this game cross platform. So 360 guys and PC guys cannot play together.........

Sucks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #172
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Has anyone noticed that there is not much difference in AI lap times when changing the AI difficulty level? There doesn't seem to be enough of a gap from amateur to legendary.

In Canada practice on Legendary Button lead the time sheets with a 1:18.791
At the same circuit on Amateur setting Vettel lead the time sheets with a 1:21.571

That's less than 3 seconds gap from easiest to hardest I'd like to see a bigger gap here.

Last edited by Sundown2600; 09-23-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #173
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Thanks BC and sundown for the responses. I will have to check this game out. Since PGR 3 dropped I can't play any racing game that doesn't have a good/great cockpit view. Looking forward to checking it out.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #174
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
Has anyone noticed that there is not much difference in AI lap times when changing the AI difficulty level? There doesn't seem to be enough of a gap from amateur to legendary.

In Canada practice on Legendary Button lead the time sheets with a 1:18.791
At the same circuit on Amateur setting Vettel lead the time sheets with a 1:21.571

That's less than 3 seconds gap from easiest to hardest I'd like to see a bigger gap here.

In racing 3 seconds is a lot, could easily be the difference between being lapped multiple times and actually staying with the pack. Also, what's more important than fast laps is consistency, I think you'll find the AI is far less consistent at the lower levels, so even they're getting a 1:18 it won't mean much of anything if they're only doing that type of speed for one or two laps.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #175
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
In racing 3 seconds is a lot, could easily be the difference between being lapped multiple times and actually staying with the pack. Also, what's more important than fast laps is consistency, I think you'll find the AI is far less consistent at the lower levels, so even they're getting a 1:18 it won't mean much of anything if they're only doing that type of speed for one or two laps.
Yeah that's very true but I've seen bigger gaps in other games depending on difficulty levels. I'm not complaining at all but it's something that will help the casual racer.

I've raced a few times from the onboard cam and I have to say the game looks better from this view. The rain puddles on the tarmac look amazing. It's a lot easier to drive smoothly from this view and that makes the game less of a challenge. I'll be back in the cockpit soon.

Has anyone seen an example of rain on one part of the circuit and dry on another? Take Spa for instance. I read where a dev said this would be represented in the game. The weather is amazing in this game much props for that.

OMG loving the dry racing line that gradually forms when the rain stops! You can see the times drops as the circuit drys as well. Very nice.

Last edited by Sundown2600; 09-23-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #176
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
This year, the pole sitter Hamilton I believe, ran 1:15 and some change. I'm sure that's possible in this game but man that's fast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »