Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Association

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Association within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #361
MVP

OVR: 46
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I believe you're correct that they do start the second season.

thanks gosen
very odd choice by 2k there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #362
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Depending on the execution of all of these AI upgrades...this could very well be the G.O.A.T for sports video games.

EDIT: I think this kind of power is what we all expecting from yr1 of the next-gen of gaming.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #363
Rookie

OVR: 2

I played it a little Association mainly simmed a entire season while playing 3 games just to see whats changed.

Some thoughts on it. Trades are definitely tougher to pull off depending on the situation. Last year you can trade someone a bad a contract like for an expiring who is lower overall easily. In 2k11 im at the start of my 2nd season I was trying to do move Dfish who had 1+ player option and Matt Carroll who is also 1+ player option for lower rating expirings since im over the hard cap and need some breathing room. And nope no way no how can I move these contracts to any team without including more. And no 2nd rounders wont do they want real quality players or 1st rounders. However Deals that benefit you can still go down, but definitely depends on different scenarios as mentioned in the insight.

One thing I didnt really like to see is who teams are signing. One example a 56 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 31.87m deal in the off season from the kings I checked his potential thinking it must be way high but it was 75. Hes a center just to add context the Kings have a 73 overall Demarcus Cousins at Center and 67 overall Delmbert as back up Center. Also a 55 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 20mil deal +6.19m team option from Hornets also a Center 73 potential. So some weird stuff goes on I guess. Thats just what I noticed so far at a quick look.

As for the free agent contracts wants. Didnt seem hugely different. Greg Oden wanted a big contract he was a FA got 4years 55.35 and a 16.85m po for a 5th year. JR Smith seemed to want then same type of deal starting around 9 mil and going up. Zach Randoph's asking price did seem lower then in 2k10 though. So some the same some different. It was nice to be able to split the MLE and monover around the hard cap and sign 2 guys Keyon Martin and Arron Affalo the only 2 guys I offered contracts im the Lakers both accepted. Also signed some minimum guys to fill it out.

Didnt notice any weird signings like in 2k10 that overloads one position seems good so far in that respect 1 year in. Melo opted out and signed with Suns with no real help other then a 80overall Nash. Warriors improved their team by signing Yao Ming at Center who is better then 73ovr Biedrins and Zbo at PF who is better then 71 overall Udoh. They also drafted 79 overall SF as the number 1 pick in the draft. As for David Lee they seemed to have traded him to the hawks during the 1st season in a trade involving Jamal Crawford going to the Warriors who was expiring the Warriors sucked so they went for expirings even moving a good player like Lee to gain cap room. Good move? What they have a year later is a pretty good team though and probably helped them get the 1st pick since the trade made them suck more.

I really am liking 2k11 though thats just some of the stuff I noticed like over the last hour in association mode.

Also that weird glitch is back where the NBA finals the team that is suppose to have homecourt doesn't. Game 7 of NBA finals was Lakers @ Hawks even though Lakers had the best record in the NBA and Hawks werent really close. I guess a patch will fix that but remember that glitch is past 2ks.

The NBA draft day trades are pretty sweet. I was offered Hedo's contract and the 5th pick for Devin Harris Twolves offered this Didnt know who the 5th pick was gonna be so I declined ended up being a 81 overall SF. Twolves already had flin at PG and they needed a SF so seem like a stupid trade they offered me. After they drafted the SF though I tried to make the same deal to them and they declined.

Also just want to say Association seems way more smoother menus wise. Remember in 2k10 when it was all slow when you went into places like award races this year it just loads straight up. Definitely like that. Also turning auto save off is awesome which makes it way way more smoother and I can save when i want to save. Also simulating seems faster as well. In the playoffs simulating a entire round took like 1 or 2 seconds. So yea just way more smoother. Going to the NBA.com main page doesnt stall the pictures wont load right away but it will go there right away and you can move until everything loads.

Im really loving the game. The association im liking a lot as well.

Last edited by ghettog; 09-26-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #364
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettog
I played it a little Association mainly simmed a entire season while playing 3 games just to see whats changed.

Some thoughts on it. Trades are definitely tougher to pull off depending on the situation. Last year you can trade someone a bad a contract like for an expiring who is lower overall easily. In 2k11 im at the start of my 2nd season I was trying to do move Dfish who had 1+ player option and Matt Carroll who is also 1+ player option for lower rating expirings since im over the hard cap and need some breathing room. And nope no way no how can I move these contracts to any team without including more. And no 2nd rounders wont do they want real quality players or 1st rounders. However Deals that benefit you can still go down, but definitely depends on different scenarios as mentioned in the insight.

One thing I didnt really like to see is who teams are signing. One example a 56 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 31.87m deal in the off season from the kings I checked his potential thinking it must be way high but it was 75. Hes a center just to add context the Kings have a 73 overall Demarcus Cousins at Center and 67 overall Delmbert as back up Center. Also a 55 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 20mil deal +6.19m team option from Hornets also a Center 73 potential. So some weird stuff goes on I guess. Thats just what I noticed so far at a quick look.

As for the free agent contracts wants. Didnt seem hugely different. Greg Oden wanted a big contract he was a FA got 4years 55.35 and a 16.85m po for a 5th year. JR Smith seemed to want then same type of deal starting around 9 mil and going up. Zach Randoph's asking price did seem lower then in 2k10 though. So some the same some different. It was nice to be able to split the MLE and monover around the hard cap and sign 2 guys Keyon Martin and Arron Affalo the only 2 guys I offered contracts im the Lakers both accepted. Also signed some minimum guys to fill it out.

Didnt notice any weird signings like in 2k10 that overloads one position seems good so far in that respect 1 year in. Melo opted out and signed with Suns with no real help other then a 80overall Nash. Warriors improved their team by signing Yao Ming at Center who is better then 73ovr Biedrins and Zbo at PF who is better then 71 overall Udoh. They also drafted 79 overall SF as the number 1 pick in the draft. As for David Lee they seemed to have traded him to the hawks during the 1st season in a trade involving Jamal Crawford going to the Warriors who was expiring the Warriors sucked so they went for expirings even moving a good player like Lee to gain cap room. Good move? What they have a year later is a pretty good team though and probably helped them get the 1st pick since the trade made them suck more.

I really am liking 2k11 though thats just some of the stuff I noticed like over the last hour in association mode.

Also that weird glitch is back where the NBA finals the team that is suppose to have homecourt doesn't. Game 7 of NBA finals was Lakers @ Hawks even though Lakers had the best record in the NBA and Hawks werent really close. I guess a patch will fix that but remember that glitch is past 2ks.

The NBA draft day trades are pretty sweet. I was offered Hedo's contract and the 5th pick for Devin Harris Twolves offered this Didnt know who the 5th pick was gonna be so I declined ended up being a 81 overall SF. Twolves already had flin at PG and they needed a SF so seem like a stupid trade they offered me. After they drafted the SF though I tried to make the same deal to them and they declined.

Also just want to say Association seems way more smoother menus wise. Remember in 2k10 when it was all slow when you went into places like award races this year it just loads straight up. Definitely like that. Also turning auto save off is awesome which makes it way way more smoother and I can save when i want to save. Also simulating seems faster as well. In the playoffs simulating a entire round took like 1 or 2 seconds. So yea just way more smoother. Going to the NBA.com main page doesnt stall the pictures wont load right away but it will go there right away and you can move until everything loads.

Im really loving the game. The association im liking a lot as well.
Thanks for that write-up! I'm an association junkie so any and all information is appreciated. Weird that GS signed Yao since I'm assuming their team identity is to run and gun. Yao doesn't make much sense and fit their style. Oh well. I asked some association questions in the Q&A thread that got looked over. If you have time later, I'll ask you instead if your up to answering some.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #365
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Thanks for that write-up! I'm an association junkie so any and all information is appreciated. Weird that GS signed Yao since I'm assuming their team identity is to run and gun. Yao doesn't make much sense and fit their style. Oh well. I asked some association questions in the Q&A thread that got looked over. If you have time later, I'll ask you instead if your up to answering some.
No problem. And I just shut 2k off for the night, but go ahead and post what you posted in the Q&A thread if you want. Depending what kind of questions they are I might be able to answer them.

Also I noticed something else I didn't like. The 2nd Off season Evan Turner was a FA which means the Sixers did not pick up the team option which is a small amount for his talents. Just would never happen in real life. Not sure where he signed forgot to check. Also I saw Derek Rose as a FA who went on to go to the Pacers after not getting many offers hes 91overall by this point. He was a restricted FA bulls letting him go would never happen in real life. Not realistic but definitely shakes things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #366
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Well I might just have to do the 30-team GM route again. I'd rather not but I don't want D-Rose to be given up like that.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #367
Rookie

Ok Streets looked at the post that I think you meant and here is what I can answer of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Thanks for doing this baseballguy... we appreciate it. I have some for when you toy around with association.

* Has scouting improved at all? Any changes?

Sorry not really sure didn't spend to much time with that last year.

* Are D-League Rosters editable before starting a season, or better yet do they have real players?

No don't see anywhere to edit them before going into association/season. And I don't really know any D-League players, but they seems generic to me around the same overalls through every team and have pictures like created players/association draft rookies.

* Can you set injuries before starting an Association? (Doubt it)

You cant.

* Do head coaches take their playbooks with them when getting traded to teams? Does the team identity change with new coaching?

My Lakers association Phil Jackson retired after the 2nd season in. I signed some coach named Oscar Wall to replace him. He uses the 76ers playbook on the Lakers team so I guess that's a yes. You can change what playbook they use through the coach profiles page.

* Can you edit/change coaches before starting an association (Roster Management maybe?)

No don't see anywhere to do that.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #368
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Thanks a lot man! Those were indeed my questions. Keep the insights and impressions coming!

I asked another one in the demo thread... here it is, since you're quick with it:

Can you tell me what the top 5-10 rated rookies are in the draft and their positions (Association)? Last year, there were like 5 "John Walls" every year, and I'm wondering if they fixed it? I don't import classes (though maybe I should), so am interested in this.

Basically are their like 5-10 "80+ overall" guys

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »