Home

NBA 2K11 Review

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Review within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfro
I agree with BlackRome, in part, on the issue of controls. I played PG in JH, JV, and Varsity levels in school, and can tell you with all certainty, that when the lane opened up in front of me, like Moses parting the Red Sea, I could fly straight to the basket for an easy lay-up. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the defense blow their coverage of the paint, and I immediately go to move straight at the basket, for what should be an easy two points, only to have my player do some weird u-turn maneuver, or hesitate, instead of finishing the play. Then the defense gets time to fill the paint, and my player gets contacted by the D, and the basket is blown. Sometimes it just feels like you are playing in a foot of water.

If Wade has an open lane, he will use his speed, and finish every time. He was called flash for a reason, after all. The were times in the Jordan challenge that I couldn't beat Danny Ainge, because out of nowhere, Jordan lost the ability to size-up his defender, but felt it necessary, without me pushing the LT button, to try to back him down from the three-point line. That happens constantly. There is no benefit to having a speed guy. Basketball is a game of quickness, yet Derrick Rose, at times, handles like a Hummer when attacking the basket. I never had to do a wide turn to make a quick cut. If this game is a realistic interpretation of the NBA, then I chose the wrong Career path. I should quick everything I am doing now, and get to the nearest NBA practice facility, and see if I can walk on.

That animation that forces the bump, and you to bounce off, and turn your back to the guy, while tryin to face him to use a crossover, or cut, is making me want to shelf this game. They did nearly everything right, but there is no way that Steve Blake could keep D Wade in front of him. The controls are sluggish, not always, but an open lane, with a guy like Lebron holding the ball would always result in a quick, easy basket. In 2k11 it isn't the case. You can hold the stick in one direction, and watch the guy zig-zag on his own. It is a little disappointing to see this again this year.
I don't see this as being way out of wack. I've seen plenty of getting to the rim for a layup or dunk, both by me and by the A.I. .. It's not easy to get to the hoop and if it was all hell would break loose. I see contact that contact animation you're talking about when A) I take a poor angle to the rim B) I don't get around the defender fully and bump into him C) when I beat my defender but help rotates. It's all tough D. Even someone like D wade doesn't always score by getting wide open layups. He sets up the drive with the mid-range jumper, he makes a crazy amount of contested circus shots that he's got down to a science. He dunks over a defender ect ect.

Getting wide open layups SHOULD be a rarity in the game. With all that being said It's not all that hard to break a defender down and get to the hoop. I do it from time to time with my crap rated My Player guy and I've played against Lebron and the Heat enough times to know that Lebron gets to the rim a lot. At first I was even worried about it being too much than I remembered that's how Lebron plays IRL.

Look I"m not saying the game is Perfect (someone please tell me what's perfect) but I've been blown away by the intricacies of the game. 2k clearly put a lot of effort into making this game play like the real deal and I think they should be commended for it, not nitpicked to death about it.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #58
Pro

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
after playing the game for 3 days, IMO, I can say that 2k has struck gold again. the last time was with ch2k8.
I still havent touched the my player or Jordan challenge.
I didn not realize the number of shot options thata re available until I went into the practice mode.
In some aspects This game may be too sim, ofr those screaming sim. but 2k did everyone a favor by including so many modes.
Its as if 2k produced a basketball game like it was going to be their last basketball game ever made.
the little nuances, are incredible.
AI logic on point. its great to see a dominant player actually dominate a reserve player. case in point. Duncan vs Dirk, I had to sub Dirk in my fantasy association, I brought in JJ Hickson, and the AI continually exploited this match up, so much so that I was forced to Bring Dirk back in.
this was lovely.
There is so much to this game.

only complaint Ive had, is with the fatigue ratings.
I agree with you my friend. It might just be too sim for some and that's why they have the casual setting, rookie difficulty and blacktop modes. As for me I've been waiting for something like this.

I have noticed though that sometimes AI teammates in my player mode do stupid things, and you sort of have to call plays for a few trips to get them back in line. I felt much better when I realized I could call plays even when you're not the point guard (the playcall system just doesn't come up)
Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #59
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: NBA 2K11 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And it's always you making the same-type broad statements. Gonna take a wild guess - pretty sure that was directed at me. As I've said to you so many times before - debate the content of what I've said, don't whine because I was the one that said it.
HIt close to home I guess.

It's a review score. It's totally subjective. No need to bring the same tired compared to Madden argument in to it.

The review is what matters. Arguing over fractions of a point in a completely subjective review score is quite frankly stupid.

Last edited by bkrich83; 10-09-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #60
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlstudios189
NBA 2k11 is in a tricky situation like FIFA and MLB the show. It is scored against itself and has trouble topping itself. After this year what can 2k12 do to impress people?
Agreed. You get to certain level of quality do you make changes simply to make changes and risk breaking something that is obviously working?

That's my biggest fear with the Show. Best sports game I have ever played (purely my opinion) I'd hate to see them mucking with the essence of the game simply for the sake of change.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #61
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
When I look at the Reviews section, the things that are most visible are the name of the game, the OS review score, and R.S. (which I guess is Reader Score). No captions on the content of the reviews or opinions. It would seem the site is making the review score prevalant, then saying "don't pay attention to it"...? It would be ideal to have a person read a review and gauge themselves if the game is good or bad. But by listing reviews this way you seem to be acknowledging that most people are looking for a quick way to judge the games.

Most of us have been to school and understand there's a difference between getting an "A" in Gym versus getting an "A" in Geometry. So I don't understand the Trials argument - most people understand there's a huge difference between what's expected of an arcade title, a handheld title, or a title purporting itself to be a simulation of a sport. If NBA Jam rates a 9 I'd think most people are smart enough to know that NBA Jam doesn't have the same expectations a NBA2K11 would have, and vice versa. And I think most people would be smart enough to group games like Trials and NBA Jam in one category, and games like The Show, Madden, NCAA, NBA2K, etc. in another.
I agree with you....Madden 11 and this game do not have the same depth or polish.........One clearly outclasses the other

and its sad that 2k doesn't get the full on props they deserve

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #62
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
I agree with you....Madden 11 and this game do not have the same depth or polish.........One clearly outclasses the other

and its sad that 2k doesn't get the full on props they deserve
I love the Anti-Madden agenda fueled posts as much as the next guy.

You and Spanks argument seems to be not so much that 2k11 got a 9 (I really don't see how you can complain when a game get's a 9) but the fact that Madden got a 9. In which case you are in the wrong thread.

Seriously arguing about a review score? Wow.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #63
Rookie

Rimfro's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm not saying that there should be tons of easy lay-ups, and dunks, what I am talking about is when the lane is wide open, a guy like D Wade would undoubtedly hit the seam quickly, and finish. There are many times when the lane is unguarded, that you have to fight a guy like D Wade to quickly go right to the basket. There is nonreason why he should be side stepping, or making some awkward turn towards another direction (other than where I am pointing the left stick) that ends up costing me what should be an easy basket.

The same with the contact, back down issue. I'm not talking about getting cut off on my cut, I'm saying that when I am just trying to face-up the defender to use my dribble, having my user controlled player constantly turning around to try a backdown move, on his own. No LT or RT is being pressed. How many times would you see Jordan being dissuaded from using his dribble against an obviously outmatched defender? That is why I said that I only agree in part. Sometimes it just feels like the same, nearly out of control, skating experience. Not always, but it is becoming more noticeable the more I play. If I have a wide open lane with a speed guy like Rose, Rondo, Wade, whomever, it should result in an automatic two. That's what happens in basketball in reality. You shouldn't have to fight the controller to get a player to just run straight to the basket when there is nobody in the paint!

I don't see why some people fail to grasp what some are saying their particular issue is. I can't stand when the simple fundamentals become unnecessarily muddled by less than perfect input response. That's why I made the comment earlier; if this is what I saw in the actual NBA, then I am in the wrong line of work. Because, if I have a wide open lane, unguarded, I will get a quick, easy score...everytime.

This problem carries over into the fast break issue some are experiencing. The same issue, where your players don't feel the need to run a straight line on a fast break, they pause, sidestep, turn around, pull a semi-truck wide right turn, which results in them losing the open opportunity completely. You won't see a guy like Rose, or D Wade, get rundown or take some unnecessary movement that would cost them those easy points, or slow them down. Speed, and those first step killers barely have an advantage over a normal guy that isn't known for his speed or slashing ability. I don't really feel that the gameplay has improved as much as people are giving it credit for. To me, a lot of these problems have been in the game for years.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #64
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Great review and i agree with the score and this is the best sports game this gen and possibly ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »