Home

NBA 2K11 Review

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Review within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 3
another overrated 2k game. putting jordan in the game doesn't hide the same problems that have plague the series for years... atleast not for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #66
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K11 Review

I get what you're saying Rimfro:

It definitely should be easier to make a quick straight line dash. The culprit in my eyes is the clunky little animation you get every time you hit the turbo. Definitely not everyone but the elite quick guys should definitely have it easier.

I'm going to look for how quickly wide open lanes close up and how much fighting the controls I have to do. But to be honest I've been playing the game non-stop almost since it came out and it hasn't jumped out at me as an issue; I'll take a closer look.

We all wish a video game could capture the trill of playing actual basketball, the speed, the contact, ect but I honestly don't see any game capturing it any better up to this point.

Given enough time everything in life will show it's flaws, I just try to enjoy the positive aspects, especially so soon after release. I mean lets be real here, this is a great playing basketball game.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #67
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20
OS has reviewed a total of 530 games and only 3 were rated a 9.5, so for those who feel 2k11 should get that extra half point apparently it's a rare bird here.

There are a ton of 9.0 and 8.0 scores but not many 8.5's either. No real point to this and it's not a complaint, just sayin'.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #68
Rookie

Rimfro's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811

It definitely should be easier to make a quick straight line dash. The culprit in my eyes is the clunky little animation you get every time you hit the turbo. Definitely not everyone but the elite quick guys should definitely have it easier.

I'm going to look for how quickly wide open lanes close up and how much fighting the controls I have to do. But to be honest I've been playing the game non-stop almost since it came out and it hasn't jumped out at me as an issue; I'll take a closer look.

We all wish a video game could capture the trill of playing actual basketball, the speed, the contact, ect but I honestly don't see any game capturing it any better up to this point.

Given enough time everything in life will show it's flaws, I just try to enjoy the positive aspects, especially so soon after release. I mean lets be real here, this is a great playing basketball game.
That is pretty much my only issue; the way the respond on that first step. I've improved that a little by adjusting the camera, and it's only costing me 8-10 points, but when you are playing with the Grizz its the difference between winning and losing.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #69
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811

This is what I did:
I created two players

1. "quick guy" 6'3" athletic pg 99 speed, 99 quickness, 99 handles, 99 on ball D

2. "avg joe" 6'3" athletic pg: 80 speed, 80 quickness, 80 handles, 80 on ball D

*test victim Jason Kapono: 64 speed, 58 quickness 58 on ball D

I put them both on the 76ers, and I went into scrimmage mode. 76ers vs 76ers.

I played for a bit on different difficulty settings using "quick guy" and "avg joe" being guarded by Kapono. I messed around looking for situations where I had space to get to the rim, when I found those gaps I'd hit sprint and try to get to the rim in the straightest line possible. This is what I found out:

-There's a noticeable difference in how smoothly quick guy and avg joe got to the hoop. -Difficulty affected how help D reacted more than how quickly the guy I beat recovered.
-Even with better defenders, once I found a open gap I still got to the rim.

I took a few quick clips and put them on my youtube site. Take into account my goal was hitting the open space and getting to the rim, most of the time help D comes and forces a difficult shot or miss. The point is getting to the hoop in as straight a line as possible.

here's the link http://www.youtube.com/user/bigballer811?feature=mhum

**edit**I was playing using broadcast camera, the replays however are showing the 2k cam angle**

Last edited by clipperfan811; 10-10-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #70
MVP

OVR: 21
Lightbulb Re: NBA 2K11 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I love the Anti-Madden agenda fueled posts as much as the next guy.

You and Spanks argument seems to be not so much that 2k11 got a 9 (I really don't see how you can complain when a game get's a 9) but the fact that Madden got a 9. In which case you are in the wrong thread.

Seriously arguing about a review score? Wow.
Everybody that don't agree with you has an agenda. You always try to belittle people for their point of view and drag people into debates about why they think the way they think as though you the only one with the right answers. Then on top of that act like you are Mrs. Cleo and can read minds and gonna post why someone is posting what they are posting. BK said it so it must be true ?

You "wowing" him for debating a review score. If its so trivial why are you in the thread bugging out over it ? You can agree or disagree with whatever anyone says, but how you gonna try and trash someones opinion and then
make them feel like they shouldn't express it ?

As for the review score. I think most people are gonna clump sports game scores together to some degree and then apply whatever logic runs through their minds about games in general to it all.

First thing I thought after seeing the score is after all the NBA2K game brought to the table this year, it gets a 9. 9 ain't a bad score. Then you think about Madden. It also got a 9. Madden from game play to features to presentation does not stack up to older games in its own sport and certainly does not measure up to what NBA2k11 has produced in some peoples opinions. So naturally flags are gonna rise on the scores. How can a game that is still trying to catch up to 5 years ago get a 9 and a game that just raised the bar for sports games in general get the same score ?
I think any reasonable person would look at that question no matter what game we are talking about. It could be Halo, Call of Duty, whatever.

You ever stop to think maybe its you with the "agenda" always trying to point out why people post what they post ?

People judge these games against the games own history and other games(even games not in the same genre). That's fact not "agenda". To act like its otherwise or trivial because you don't agree with it is IMO silly. However I unlike you wont try and demean people or make them feel like they shouldn't be posting what they think.

That sounds like an "agenda" to rid the board of anyone who don't agree with everything you have to say.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #71
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
It's a review score. It's totally subjective. No need to bring the same tired compared to Madden argument in to it.

The review is what matters. Arguing over fractions of a point in a completely subjective review score is quite frankly stupid.
Of course it's subjective. But we were debating the merits of 2K's efforts some of us felt needed to be appropriately recognized. It's all about perception. Trying to act as if it's the review that "matters" versus the score is the same as trying to trivialize "fractions of a point" as not meaning anything. As with the score, if they don't mean anything then they shouldn't be used. When IGN gave 2K11 a 9.5, what was the first thing they did? Splashed it on a commercial. They didn't layout the text of the review; it was the score and the site. Because of perception.

And it's not necessarily about Madden although I used it in trying to state my case. It shouldn't even be part of the discussion because most would argue it came no where near deserving the score it received - but that's another argument. I'm more familar with Madden than I am NHL, FIFA, or The Show, which are games I consider a legitimate 9 based on what I've read. Even in that company, I feel 2K11 is a effort/product apart from those titles - and I simply stated my reasoning as to why. Unfortunately you see *someone's picking on Madden!* and go into immediate agenda mode [as Tombsong said]. Again your first comment wasn't about the merits of what I was saying, it was a silly broad-reaching comment because I was the one saying it.

Either way, scores matter. And I don't see how reviewers can on one hand place a review with a score, then go back and say "don't look at the score, it doesn't matter". It DOES matter, because it's going to affect a person's perception of that product.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #72
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

This is a great game and deserves the praise it gets. Is it perfect no but what game is and this game is sick. The amount of detail put into this game is astounding to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »