Home

Why Limit Gamers?

This is a discussion on Why Limit Gamers? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 19
Chris, I agree.

On the other hand though, it's only natural to put limitations on things that your part of to protect the work that is put into it. We all do it in some way or form.

Prime example:
Something a Dev noted about their product that caused you to, "need to vent and ask some serious questions", inspired you to write this post, which is great for this community based social site (product). Yet within the same discussion that inspired you to write, limitations on the same "Venting" feedback are placed on the community to protect the work put in by yourself and other Moderators.

To protect the integrity of its product, Madden Dev's put editing limitations on their gamers.
To protect the integrity of your social site, you place limitations on gamers also.

ryan36 @ 11/22/10 05:44 PM
From the TOS...

FROM NOW ON, ANY AND ALL OFFENSES WILL BE MET WITH AN IMMEDIATE AND PERMANENT BAN. THERE ARE NO INFRACTIONS, AND WARNING WILL BE USED AT A MODERATOR'S DISCRETION, IF AT ALL.
(Yes there are lines, but lately any "NEGATIVE" feedback seem to be considered offensive)

***I hope this response is not taken the wrong way or seen as an effort to try and show anyone up. Not my intentions by the least and I respect and enjoy all the work that's needed to provide this avenue for gamers like myself.

I just wanted to note how we all may use limitations to protect what we put hours of hard work into.
Thus, I can see why Madden Dev's do it, eventhough it burns my "Jerry-Curl"!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Why Limit Gamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

if you purposefully limit the experience of the gamer, then you are limiting their enjoyment of your product and lessening the chance they'll return next time.

Quit limiting gamers for no reason, give them the keys. You might be shocked what a dedicated community can do for a game.
The most customizable version of Madden (to date) was the PS2 version from 2005...

It was the last time you could fully "disassemble and reassemble" the Coach Philosophy and Sim engines...

The best example of this is Sm27's "The Manifesto", which remains (IMHO) the pinnacle of what the SIM football community was / is capable of...

That bunch was able to make all the teams play as close to their IRL NFL counterparts as possible b/c ALL the Coach Sliders worked...

You could alter HB1 / HB2 percentages, and the O and D AGG sliders made it possible to have that era's Philly D blitz constantly while Tampa's Tampa 2 chose to "read and react", etc...

The gameplay was excellent and the sim stats were the best to date...

The next year, the ONLY slider that actually "worked" was run / pass and as a result things took a HUGE step backward that has NEVER been retraced...

A bunch of the guys that made that "miracle" happen, got frustrated with the fact that it was no longer possible to reach this level of gaming excellence again, and have bailed off to play and customise the last PC version (2008?) year after year...

So to the quotes I pulled from the OP:

1) You would possibly be VERY surprised what a dedicated effort from dedicated games can produce (that could possibly be of positive future influence) and...

2) Limiting these guys enjoyment / ability to customize mos def resulted in loss of future sales as a result...

That being said, I love the fact that the devs interact around here...that was the number one thing on the sim players "Wish List"...to be heard...

Thanks for listening!

Happy gaming to all!

P.S.

Here is a link to Sm27's final thread from that year on "The Manifesto" that includes a word doc of how this was created and what effects on gameplay and the sim engine it had:

http://www.operationsports.com/vBull...-download.html

A shining example of the "best case scenario" re: gaming forums...

Instead of focusing on "It's Broken", the focus was "Let's Fix It"...

And EA affored us the flexiblity to do just that...along with Custom Playbooks in Franchise, Formation Subs, etc. that one by one all fell inexplicably by the wayside on the way to the "New Gen" era...

Oh well...those WERE the days...

Good times, indeed...

Last edited by KingV2k3; 11-22-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added "Manifesto" Doc
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
The most customizable version of Madden (to date) was the PS2 version from 2005...

It was the last time you could fully "disassemble and reassemble" the Coach Philosophy and Sim engines...

The best example of this is Sm27's "The Manifesto", which remains (IMHO) the pinnacle of what the SIM football community was / is capable of...

That bunch was able to make all the teams play as close to their IRL NFL counterparts as possible b/c ALL the Coach Sliders worked...

You could alter HB1 / HB2 percentages, and the O and D AGG sliders made it possible to have that era's Philly D blitz constantly while Tampa's Tampa 2 chose to "read and react", etc...

The gameplay was excellent and the sim stats were the best to date...

The next year, the ONLY slider that actually "worked" was run / pass and as a result things took a HUGE step backward that has NEVER been retraced...

A bunch of the guys that made that "miracle" happen, got frustrated with the fact that it was no longer possible to reach this level of gaming excellence again, and have bailed off to play and customise the last PC version (2008?) year after year...

So to the quotes I pulled from the OP:

1) You would possibly be VERY surprised what a dedicated effort from dedicated games can produce (that could possibly be of positive future influence) and...

2) Limiting these guys enjoyment / ability to customize mos def resulted in loss of future sales as a result...

That being said, I love the fact that the devs interact around here...that was the number one thing on the sim players "Wish List"...to be heard...

Thanks for listening!

Happy gaming to all!

P.S.

Here is a link to Sm27's final thread from that year on "The Manifesto" that includes a word doc of how this was created and what effects on gameplay and the sim engine it had:

http://www.operationsports.com/vBull...-download.html

A shining example of the "best case scenario" re: gaming forums...

Instead of focusing on "It's Broken", the focus was "Let's Fix It"...

And EA affored us the flexiblity to do just that...along with Custom Playbooks in Franchise, Formation Subs, etc. that one by one all fell inexplicably by the wayside on the way to the "New Gen" era...

Oh well...those WERE the days...

Good times, indeed...
Ah man sm27's Madden Manifesto! That made madden 2005 the best playing NFL franchise experience ever! Good memories!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Someone mentioned NBA 10 as far as customization settings... I'd like to bring up a live season. I know some people wouldn't want to wait from week to week to play their games, but i feel i might be more immersed in this at some point. Maybe as a alternate way of playing a dynasty or a way to start a dynasty.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #21
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
If I remember correctly, when purchasing a video game you are buying a license to use the product the manufacturer makes. By that statement alone says they can limit whatever they want if they want you to play the game their way. If the purchaser of the license (game) doesn't agree with the constraints of owning this license then they will need to show the manufacturer how they feel by not buying into the game. It's the gamers fault and not the creators if every year they put out a mediocre title, because all they see is money and if the money is still coming in they will not try as hard to improve.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

Re: Why Limit Gamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Ah man sm27's Madden Manifesto! That made madden 2005 the best playing NFL franchise experience ever! Good memories!
Who would have thought at that time that a five year old title on a technologically inferior platform would still be The G.O.A.T. (still) to this day???

I have heard that the devs at the time were aware (and impressed) with that document, I hope that the current team is at least interested enough to give it a look...

It illustrates, not only your point of total customization, but also serves as a testament to the best case "cooperative effort" by a bunch of dedicated offline SIM franchise players on this forum...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
Someone mentioned NBA 10 as far as customization settings... I'd like to bring up a live season. I know some people wouldn't want to wait from week to week to play their games, but i feel i might be more immersed in this at some point. Maybe as a alternate way of playing a dynasty or a way to start a dynasty.
I'm all for this since I like to play with multiple teams and go along with the season. I would love this option.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 37
I totally agree with your write-up. 2K sports is an excellent example for user customization. We should have 100% access to global customization. Ihate seeing screwed up cpu depth charts. If the Colts draft a QB, let me go in and re-set Manning to be the starter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »