Home

Tiger Needs Wins for EA Deal to Make Sense

This is a discussion on Tiger Needs Wins for EA Deal to Make Sense within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tiger Needs Wins for EA Deal to Make Sense

Reuters has the scoop:

Quote:
"This is no threat against Tiger," Ricitiello said at the Reuters Global Media Summit in New York. "We're with him because he has the promise of being the world's best golfer.

"We have no plans to move away from him, but it's a business relationship on the basis of we make the best golf game and he's the best golfer," he added. "Both of those things need to be true in the long run for the partnership to make sense."

I somewhat agree with EA's approach to this. If Tiger's star does fade, there's no reason to brand a golf game around him anymore if he's no longer by far and away the best player in the world. But as far as will he return to that level of dominance, who knows? But it's pretty apparent EA wants Tiger to perform better to keep the agreement intact.
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
I've been wondering about this! If he doesn't follow through... will we be looking at "EA SPORTS Phil 2012!"
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Tiger Needs Wins for EA Deal to Make Sense

Tiger isn't worth it. They need to go back to the basics of PGA Tour Golf 2012 and allow the user to pick amongst 20 pros or so.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
@jcon4- Phil couldnt win without tiger there or tiger playing the worst of his career... WHy would EA feature that tubby loser for the title of the game?

@thelwig- if they continue to just have 20 pros or so i will continue to stop buying the game.

they need a pga tour sim. get all 125 returning card players in the game with 20+ courses with course packs available for cheap DLC to just boot the courses off the HDD. Just give me something with no power boost and post shot spin alter. Thats fine if you choose a power swing for you swing but make it way harder to be accurate and make people choose what kind of spin they want BEFORE the shot. Make this game realistic and hard
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0
-ONLINE STORE—“ ==== http://yep.it/fyphgj ====

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16
=
Sandal $32

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

╭⌒╭⌒ ★ ╮╭⌒╮~╭⌒
☆ ╭⌒╮ ╭⌒
★∴ ☆ ==== http://yep.it/fyphgj ====

╭⌒╮⌒╮★∵╭⌒ ★∴ ☆
╱◥██◣ ☆
|田|田田│ ☆ ★
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Banned

Dear friends, do you want to have some different things? Whether you want to give your relatives and friends, take a few different exotic gifts? Whether you want to buy some cheap benefits of thing? So please, let us begin now!

Click on our website

(= = = ( w w w ) . (e t r a d i n g l i f e) . ( c o m ) = = = )

Will bring you different surprise

= = = ( w w w ) . (e t r a d i n g l i f e) . ( c o m ) = = =

jordan air max oakland raiders $34a€“39;

Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25;

Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25;

gstar coogi evisu true jeans $35;

coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36;

coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18;

Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Rookie

I have covered professional golf since the late eighties in my job. During the dot.com boom, I was a gaming journalist/executive in Los Angeles full-time. So .. I have a fairly unique take on this from many years looking at both sides of the coin.

Chris said in the post:

"If Tiger's star does fade, there's no reason to brand a golf game around him anymore if he's no longer by far and away the best player in the world."

Well, actually, if you want to go back in history and look at how it was done before Tiger Woods, that's exactly how golf was marketed to gamers. There was a great old series called "Links" that went back many years to the origin of the personal computer. It was a company called "Access". They signed Arnold Palmer to be on the box of their game. This was some 30+ years since Arnold Palmer won a major tournament. In addition, there was a direct competitor to Links in the form of a company called "Accolade". They put out "Jack Nicklaus Golf". These were the two big boys, Accolade and Access. Microsoft eventually bought Access and shut down "Links" and Accolade just kinda faded away. So, the previous history of golf games is exactly the opposite of Chris' statement. Golf games have been marketed with golfers that have long since passed their prime. They did this mostly due to the professional player's popularity and endearing nature.

You could make the statement, "Well, jhees, that's Arnold Palmer, Dave. There's no comparison." Actually, and we need to get a grip on this, Tiger Woods has won not just more .. but .. MANY more major championships than Arnold Palmer ever did. "Well, it's Jack Nicklaus, the greatest golfer of all time". That's arguable. I say it was an amateur golfer, who was a lawyer by trade, from Atlanta in the twenties that retired from competitive golf at the age of 30. "Well, how many times did HE win The Masters?"

He invented The Masters.

And the golf course it is played on.

So, everything is relative. Electronic Arts is well served by its relationship with Tiger Woods. Gaming is different in marketing. You need the sizzle. This isn't Augusta National Golf Club. This is modern media. And if people talk about it, the kids .. they just love it. Remember, this is a genre that worships games where you blow people's brains out with a bazooka to the face and we all get a little "Hot Coffee" while playing GTA. This is gaming. Never forget that.

If Tiger Woods never wins another golf tournament, it will be quite some time before there will be another golfer that champions a game in the marketplace. There is nobody .. nobody .. that reaches across the divide of demographics that Earl's boy Eldrick reaches. You have just witnessed an anomaly for the ages, folks. Never done before and probably never again. Tiger Woods is golf to two generations. No amount of skanks will change that. He is "The Legend from Los Angeles".

I foresee the next great golfer coming from Asia. And it won't be one golfer. It will be 320 great golfers.

But that's not for another thirty years.

So, until then, it's all Tiger all the time. And for EA, they'll ride that pony in to the sunset.

DD

Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Rookie

Beastly Wayz's Arena

OVR: 15
Good coment by ThatRadioGuy....Iagree with you 110% on everythign that you sd. Well maybe not the 320 Asain Golfers part, but damn close......

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »