Home

MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control (IGN)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control (IGN) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #73
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control, More Screenshots (I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
don't get me wrong: it's okay to have that in the game as an option for beginners, but where's the problem to control the height of your bat yourself? Control the height with your left stick like we already do using the button controls and use the right stick for the bat itself. Maybe IGN was wrong and it is already possible. I mean that shouldn't be a big deal at all to have that in the game.
Have you ever played baseball? When is the last time you thought about the height of the bat? You don't, you swing and the bat is typically in the general area of the ball. Its called hand eye coordination. I feel that any MLB player has decent enough hand eye coordination to know where the ball is going as far as height just by reacting. The hard part is if its going to strike or ball, in or away, and timing

These things are the things that I believe are actually in your control (as far as having to actually think of it). So I think MLB is not too far off in their thinking. I am also not saying this will or will not working perfectly, but I like the thought process.

Yes you take low/high balls. But when you actually decide to swing its almost automatic where the bat goes proportional to the height of the bat.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 12-16-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #74
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
That would be pretty tough to pull off. Aim with the left stick and simultaneously develop a rhythm for swinging with the right stick. The majority would struggle with this!
that may be true but then you could have the help for the height as an option in the game. Hardcore gamers would absolutely love it to control height and bat, at least I would. If they include that then The Show has pretty much every feature I could ask for. We'll see what happens, I'll buy The Show anyway
Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #75
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control, More Screenshots (I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Actually its the opposite during the prototype stage we learned if you had to adjust for pitch's up in the zone and down in the zone it made hitting all extremely difficult. It just wasn't fun.

We dynamically calculate high and low based on many factors. (Wait for the blog on "Pure Analog batting") If you want to hit a fly ball just swing influence up. Ground balls swing influence down etc.........

Our version of analog batting makes you stride and swing for all swing types regular, contact, and power. You must also swing towards the side of the plate (or down the middle) to make contact with the ball. You can't just press forward this is paramount and exaggerated as you increase the difficulty level you are playing on.
Delicious info! Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #76
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Have you tried it yet? At least give it a chance before you start the complaints.

Geez. Do people go searching for things to complain about each year?
You know the answer is yes. I just ignore the Debbie downers....

What I love is how no matter how you any to play you can play that way.... Add custom cameras and it's like being a chef in a baseball kitchen.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 12-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #77
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Actually its the opposite during the prototype stage we learned if you had to adjust for pitch's up in the zone and down in the zone it made hitting all extremely difficult. It just wasn't fun.

We dynamically calculate high and low based on many factors. (Wait for the blog on "Pure Analog batting") If you want to hit a fly ball just swing influence up. Ground balls swing influence down etc.........

Our version of analog batting makes you stride and swing for all swing types regular, contact, and power. You must also swing towards the side of the plate (or down the middle) to make contact with the ball. You can't just press forward this is paramount and exaggerated as you increase the difficulty level you are playing on.
thanks for that answer, Russell. I really appreciate that.

btw: the only reason why I'm so sceptical/critical is because I love The Show THAT much.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #78
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

Hey Russell, when do the blogs begin? Can we expect it to be like last year with once a week and the occasional two a week?
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #79
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control (IGN)

Hopefully with this new fielding system we'll actually see outfielder errors!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #80
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
Hey Russell, when do the blogs begin? Can we expect it to be like last year with once a week and the occasional two a week?
Pretty much

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »