Home

MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control (IGN)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control (IGN) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control, More Screenshots (I

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Have you ever played baseball? When is the last time you thought about the height of the bat? You don't, you swing and the bat is typically in the general area of the ball. Its called hand eye coordination. I feel that any MLB player has decent enough hand eye coordination to know where the ball is going as far as height just by reacting. The hard part is if its going to strike or ball, in or away, and timing

These things are the things that I believe are actually in your control (as far as having to actually think of it). So I think MLB is not too far off in their thinking. I am also not saying this will or will not working perfectly, but I like the thought process.

Yes you take low/high balls. But when you actually decide to swing its almost automatic where the bat goes proportional to the height of the bat.
This is mostly true. But then you throw in curveballs, splitters, sinkers, etc which is designed to make the hitter lose that ability. As for the game, I love that it isn't getting overly complicated. I mean really, they could try to make it as real as possible by adding buttons and stick moves for every eventuality a hitter might face, but how many buttons is enough? Do you really want to adjust the left stick to the ball, make a swing with the right stick, press a button for power or contact, hold down another button for inside or out, and then one more still for an uppercut swing or straight swing? Enough is enough. Let's let SCEA, the experts, do their thing while we worry about having fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #82
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Have you ever played baseball? When is the last time you thought about the height of the bat? You don't, you swing and the bat is typically in the general area of the ball. Its called hand eye coordination. I feel that any MLB player has decent enough hand eye coordination to know where the ball is going as far as height just by reacting. The hard part is if its going to strike or ball, in or away, and timing

These things are the things that I believe are actually in your control (as far as having to actually think of it). So I think MLB is not too far off in their thinking. I am also not saying this will or will not working perfectly, but I like the thought process.

Yes you take low/high balls. But when you actually decide to swing its almost automatic where the bat goes proportional to the height of the bat.
have I ever played baseball? tbh no. I live in Germany and you'll barely find people to play that wonderful game. Can u believe that nobody living in "my world" knows Derek Jeter or Babe Ruth? Horrible.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #83
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: MLB 11 The Show Goes Analog, Includes Balks and More Control (IGN)

There's so much to digest here.

Russell, everyone at SCEA...

Thank you enormously.

BTW, I see what you mean about removing the left stick part of analog hitting. Kinda like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Good call.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #84
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I have a question for anyone who might have read it, or for someone with the team. With the analog throwing for fielding, the guy from IGN mentioned you had to pre-load your analog throw. I wasn't sure if he meant that you do it as the player is fielding the ball or before the ball gets to the fielder. If its the latter, I can't help but feel that it is a little counter-intuitive.

Just in my opinion, I like the feel that I am actually making the throwing motion when I have the ball in my hand, so to speak.

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to clear this up for me.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #85
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I have a question for anyone who might have read it, or for someone with the team. With the analog throwing for fielding, the guy from IGN mentioned you had to pre-load your analog throw. I wasn't sure if he meant that you do it as the player is fielding the ball or before the ball gets to the fielder. If its the latter, I can't help but feel that it is a little counter-intuitive.

Just in my opinion, I like the feel that I am actually making the throwing motion when I have the ball in my hand, so to speak.

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to clear this up for me.
Great question. I always hated the whole preloading thing. Fielders are always taught to get the ball, then make the throw. Doing it the other way around is how errors happen. SS are taught to backhand it as much as possible so that they can set and throw. This whole preloading notion never made any sense and goes against everything fielders are taught.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #86
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

When I used to play infield (SS, and then moved to 2B after taking a year off...), my coaches relentlessly made us work on the mental aspects of where to throw the baseball, BEFORE the ball was even put in play.

In X situation, if the ball is hit to you quickly, but to your left; throw the ball to base A.

In Y situation, if the ball is hit to you slowly, but to your right; throw the ball to base B.

I love the pre-loading idea. Infielders, especially, know exactly where the ball needs to go as soon as lumber touches ball.

Add the fact that The Show has beautiful animations, and this pre-load stuff makes even that much more sense. It's a very nice addition to next years game, and I can't wait to try it out.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #87
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
When I used to play infield (SS, and then moved to 2B after taking a year off...), my coaches relentlessly made us work on the mental aspects of where to throw the baseball, BEFORE the ball was even put in play.

In X situation, if the ball is hit to you quickly, but to your left; throw the ball to base A.

In Y situation, if the ball is hit to you slowly, but to your right; throw the ball to base B.

I love the pre-loading idea. Infielders, especially, know exactly where the ball needs to go as soon as lumber touches ball.

Add the fact that The Show has beautiful animations, and this pre-load stuff makes even that much more sense. It's a very nice addition to next years game, and I can't wait to try it out.
I get what you are saying, but the whole thing about analog throwing is that it should simulate you, throwing the ball. If you have to do it before you field the ball it takes a little away from that. JMO though.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #88
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians

Second this, even though I only played baseball as a little kid I was taught the same thing. That's why they're called "routine" plays - because you're already supposed to know where you're going with the ball before you ever field it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »