Home

MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, you couldn't start of well in multiple categories in previous versions either as you got less points to work with than they are proposing to offer in 11. I think the extra points will be simply a boost to some areas rather than a hamstring to others.

I'm thinking this is more in-line with some RPGs that give you bonuses to certain skills at the beginning, but still allow you to build up the other areas as well.

In other words, you aren't forced to be low-rated in everything if you want to balance you're progression. You can start higher in an area you want to jump start you (maybe you are good at stealing, so speed would net you more points when you're playing since you can rack up extra points stealing bases).

So, now you can start as a speedy contact guy (with more points than you were allowed in previous iterations) and develop his power and strength down the line without feeling like you're not making as much progress.

From reading through the threads here, it seems to be what most guys were doing anyway. Boosting a few key attributes to get themselves going and then filling in the others. With the new system, you are given extra points towards that idea.

Of course, that's just my take...obviously we'll all get a better grip on this in a couple months.
You are pretty much on target with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, you couldn't start of well in multiple categories in previous versions either as you got less points to work with than they are proposing to offer in 11. I think the extra points will be simply a boost to some areas rather than a hamstring to others.

I'm thinking this is more in-line with some RPGs that give you bonuses to certain skills at the beginning, but still allow you to build up the other areas as well.

In other words, you aren't forced to be low-rated in everything if you want to balance you're progression. You can start higher in an area you want to jump start you (maybe you are good at stealing, so speed would net you more points when you're playing since you can rack up extra points stealing bases).

So, now you can start as a speedy contact guy (with more points than you were allowed in previous iterations) and develop his power and strength down the line without feeling like you're not making as much progress.

From reading through the threads here, it seems to be what most guys were doing anyway. Boosting a few key attributes to get themselves going and then filling in the others. With the new system, you are given extra points towards that idea.

Of course, that's just my take...obviously we'll all get a better grip on this in a couple months.
What I was mainly talking about is during player creation you were given say 100 points, but there was a cap on what you could put in any one category, i.e. PVL was 45. I am hoping that they take off these limits so that if I want a guy with 100 PVL and nothing else, I can make him right from the start, not have to build him up. I am hoping the new sliders will allow the base to be different, so for example if I choose a slow power hitter, he initially starts with higher power, but I am not capped at how much more power I can give him. So let's say he starts with 40 PVL, and I have 200 points, I want to be able to take him to 100 PVL and not be capped at say 60. Again, I am completely pumped about this game, this is just one thing I am interested in knowing about.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Eventually is the key word.

As the guy above me posted, Carl Crawford didn't have 40 speed at age 18 and then develop into a 95 speed by age 22.

Crawford isn't a good example because he doesn't have a lot of power, but what if you wanted to create a player straight out of the draft who has plus power and also has plus speed? Is that possible? Seemingly, with having to slide attributes one way or the other, it would not be. That is limiting. Maybe not in the long run, but out the gate, yes, certainly it is.

It seems you have to choose one strength over the other .... and from the get go can't create someone who excels in both the attributes which share a slider.
I.E. 5 tool players to use the baseball terms.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #28
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
What I was mainly talking about is during player creation you were given say 100 points, but there was a cap on what you could put in any one category, i.e. PVL was 45. I am hoping that they take off these limits so that if I want a guy with 100 PVL and nothing else, I can make him right from the start, not have to build him up. I am hoping the new sliders will allow the base to be different, so for example if I choose a slow power hitter, he initially starts with higher power, but I am not capped at how much more power I can give him. So let's say he starts with 40 PVL, and I have 200 points, I want to be able to take him to 100 PVL and not be capped at say 60. Again, I am completely pumped about this game, this is just one thing I am interested in knowing about.
I get you on that. The issue with the attribute cap they've always had in place is a separate issue from what I responded to. My response was to the notion that sliders somehow limit or prevent you form creating a complete player. While they certainly could, there's been no info to suggest they will, as the idea seems to be to actually improve your chances of starting with a better RTTS player.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other. I'm in the same boat as you guys...just waiting for the details to filter out (shouldn't be long now). I'm interested to know for sure as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #29
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
MLB 10 was one of the best looking sports games ever, but with improvements like a new lighting engine, dynamic cloud cover, better transitions from day to night, new stadium fireworks, authentic jumbotrons for each ballpark, and more natural looking player models, MLB 11 is poised to outshine its predecessor. Sony also also recorded several new post-pitch animations and new batter/pitcher walkups. Rounding out the changes to the presentation, former slugger Eric Karros replaces Rex Hudler as the color commentator.

The franchise mode is also receiving some attention. Sony has reworked the trade and waiver wire logic so teams analyze their rosters more realistically; don't expect teams to trade away surefire aces like David Price. To keep you abreast of league happenings during the season, Sony has added a ticker that displays scores and stats from the other league games.
This is music to my ears!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

This might be a minor thing, but I found RTTS so frustrating this year due to such a slow progression. In fact in one season I actually got worse from being unable to meet the challenges.

Obviously I'm crap at the game, but i would have loved to have been able to purchase the points on PSN, but they weren't available to Australian players.

RTTS sounds much better with the sliders, and new goals so I'm happy with that, but would like to see the same options available to us in the Oz with regards to PSN options like purchasing points.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #31
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Agreed, people should be free to create any and all types of players they want without limitations.

People are excited about the sliders, but personally, what if I want a powerful player who is also fast? It seems it has to be one way or the other, which is also limiting.

If you want to create a powerful player who is fast crank up the power and speed sliders.

The slider sets are just how your player starts out once your in the mode you can dump points into any category. You can't make a monster in the first year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #32
Go Braves!!

AtlantaBraves22's Arena

OVR: 17

Russell, when you create a RTTS player and lets say i use the sliders to make him start out as a power hitter, how much power does that add, will i start out hitting 30 homers the first season or what. how does that work?

PSN: AlabamaRollTide8 (Add me if your a braves fan, or Alabama Fan!)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »