Home

MLB 11 The Show Adds Controls For The Disabled (ESPN The Gamer)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Adds Controls For The Disabled (ESPN The Gamer) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #17
Rookie

CoreGMRConMan's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 11 The Show Adds Controls For The Disabled (ESPN The Gamer)

I am a disabled gamer as well. Maybe as severe as Hans. I have Arthrogryposis which is similar to cerebal paulsey. I can't use the L2 button or the left trigger on the 360 without severe pain. I usually use my mouth or nose to pull th trigger if i need to. As for the Wii? Forget about it. I can't even hold the controller properly. I understand that games and some gamers are moving towards that type of gaming, but it is leaving disabled gamers in the dust.

I adapt the world to fit my needs. I have just graduated with a Bachelor's in Journalism, I run two semi busy sites and write everyday. I also game everyday. I play on HOF and have completed my season. These types of actions by Show developers are leaps and bounds better than anything other developers are offering. I have been contacting developers for years to get help. The community as well at Ablegamers.com have been trying to work with developers for years to no real avail.

In the simplest form, the one thing that would make gaming for the disabled obtainable would be button mapping. Thats it. But developers who fear wrath from competitive gaming leagues such as MLG do not implement this into their games for fear of cheating. They even banned the Razer Onza, a controller for the 360 which allows mapping of two extra shoulder buttons, from MLG. The Onza is a blessing for me since I cant reach the left trigger but could map it to the right-shoulder.

For a game like The Show, button mapping wouldn't really be effective. I speak more in terms of FPS and action games.

Button Mapping would allow gamers with disabilities the option of tailoring the game to fit their needs. What the Show developers are doing is also a HUGE step forward. They realized what I stated above, that button mapping for the game would be ineffective and devised a way to make it accessible.

I have no doubt that the team will make these options perfect, just look at the game. But I would urge Russell or any of the team that are reading this to please spread the word to OTHER development teams to follow suit. DAMN the competitive gaming leagues and their rules. DAMN online multi-player advantages (you can't restrict control sets online? Please). DAMN trending motion controlling. Games are supposed to be an escape from reality. And who better to cherish that escape then people with disabilities. when the games we want to play are like that damn L2, "out-of-reach", it sucks.

You can read all about me at http://www.wadesxb.com
And check out http://www.ablegamers.com

And if this post does reach someone of importance, I would love to be ambassador for disabled gamers to developers.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1
I'm a disabled gamer myself. Lost the use of my left arm to a stroke when I was 32. Hats off to Sony for doing this.

Brian
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreGMRConMan
I am a disabled gamer as well. Maybe as severe as Hans. I have Arthrogryposis which is similar to cerebal paulsey. I can't use the L2 button or the left trigger on the 360 without severe pain. I usually use my mouth or nose to pull th trigger if i need to. As for the Wii? Forget about it. I can't even hold the controller properly. I understand that games and some gamers are moving towards that type of gaming, but it is leaving disabled gamers in the dust.

I adapt the world to fit my needs. I have just graduated with a Bachelor's in Journalism, I run two semi busy sites and write everyday. I also game everyday. I play on HOF and have completed my season. These types of actions by Show developers are leaps and bounds better than anything other developers are offering. I have been contacting developers for years to get help. The community as well at Ablegamers.com have been trying to work with developers for years to no real avail.

In the simplest form, the one thing that would make gaming for the disabled obtainable would be button mapping. Thats it. But developers who fear wrath from competitive gaming leagues such as MLG do not implement this into their games for fear of cheating. They even banned the Razer Onza, a controller for the 360 which allows mapping of two extra shoulder buttons, from MLG. The Onza is a blessing for me since I cant reach the left trigger but could map it to the right-shoulder.

For a game like The Show, button mapping wouldn't really be effective. I speak more in terms of FPS and action games.

Button Mapping would allow gamers with disabilities the option of tailoring the game to fit their needs. What the Show developers are doing is also a HUGE step forward. They realized what I stated above, that button mapping for the game would be ineffective and devised a way to make it accessible.

I have no doubt that the team will make these options perfect, just look at the game. But I would urge Russell or any of the team that are reading this to please spread the word to OTHER development teams to follow suit. DAMN the competitive gaming leagues and their rules. DAMN online multi-player advantages (you can't restrict control sets online? Please). DAMN trending motion controlling. Games are supposed to be an escape from reality. And who better to cherish that escape then people with disabilities. when the games we want to play are like that damn L2, "out-of-reach", it sucks.

You can read all about me at http://www.wadesxb.com
And check out http://www.ablegamers.com

And if this post does reach someone of importance, I would love to be ambassador for disabled gamers to developers.

I'll make sure to send out an email to all our First party developers in the SCEA family.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 47

Wade that is a sweet ride bro. Glad you are able to drive a car. I know I am alone with this thinking, but I would have no problem with them changing the controls around so people with disabilities could play the show even if it was universal. Meaning I would lose some controls to play the game.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #21
Rookie

CoreGMRConMan's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I'll make sure to send out an email to all our First party developers in the SCEA family.
That would be great. And I'd love to hear any comments or questions they have!
[email protected]
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »