Home

MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings with New Trailer

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings with New Trailer within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #41
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Thanks for the insight, 2K. It sounds like a cool feature, I just hope it's implemented well. NBA Live tried to do something similar to this and failed. I imagine it's not an easy thing to pull off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #42
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings, Presentation and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11

It just seems that the law of averages would automatically make for hot and cold streaks. As a .300 hitter, you are going to have streaks of .350 or .400 and streaks of .150 or .200, but over the course of the season, you are going to come close that that average.

Again, if you flip a coin (50/50), you are going to have periods hit flipping 4,5 or 6 heads in a row and vice versa with tails. This is basically what happens during these hot and cold streaks.
I was thinking the same thing. As an old timer who goes back to the days where sports simulation games were done with dice, cards and spinners, you don't need to conjure up a formula for hot and cold streaks, they happen on their own.

I generally am not a fan when video games try to put a logarithim on intangilbes...like hot streaks, momentum, clutch ratings, team chemistry etc. They generally end up being overdone and forced. One such game that comes to mind was NCAA football '07. They implemented a "momentum" system which dominated the game and for me ruined a game that I otherwise really enjoyed. Hopefully not the case with 2K11.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #43
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Man I remember being in a dice franchise back in the day. Man did we have some fun

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #44
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings with New Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Man I remember being in a dice franchise back in the day. Man did we have some fun

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk
Me too, strat o matic basketball and Pursue the Pennet for baseball.
I spent way too much of my youth playing those two games.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
Me too, strat o matic basketball and Pursue the Pennet for baseball.
I spent way too much of my youth playing those two games.
Grew up on All-Star Baseball, but graduated to Strat-O-Matic. Played card and dice baseball games through college. Then a friend introduced me to an APBA league where we mailed (as in snail mail) the floppy disk from home to home, as we played out out home series vs. the CPU.

But Diamond Mind Baseball is what really came alive for me. I spent time in several leagues.

Becasue of ll of this, I have never taken the franchise play of action sports games very serious. When sims like OOTP can't get it right, I'm not going to stay up worrying about my action sports game.

And yeah, there is absolutely no need for the AI to instigate hot and cold streaks. They happen all of the time in games with dice and cards.

But for MLB today, I do like it. And if they included that in online play, it would be cool, too. Then all it is doing i updating the ratings of players based on real life performance. that is holy grail stuff.

But using simmed results to instigate this seems like a bad idea. But I will enjoy giving it a spin anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
Man, this sounds pretty good as I think it will add alot of strategy during franchise play. I can just imagine someone trying to groom their closer of the future only to get lit up during the season, causing his progression to stall. This should force you to use him as a reliever first (carefully I may add) and try to build up his confidence and attributes.

This, along with new fielding controls, should definitely cause you to think more during games. I mean, not only are we going to have to worry about pitching matchups (dont want that cold reliever facing a red hot Albert Pujols), but making defensive substutions may be the difference between that must win and a heartbreaking loss. Cant wait.
oh man, i hope it works that way!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 8
Did you guys notice the health status in the screen shots? I never played 2k10 so idk if they had it in franchise last year. But its pretty cool they give u a percentage of how healthy a player is during the season. This gives us a reason to rest players.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
Did you guys notice the health status in the screen shots? I never played 2k10 so idk if they had it in franchise last year. But its pretty cool they give u a percentage of how healthy a player is during the season. This gives us a reason to rest players.
That was not available in 2k10. If this works in collaboration with DPRS, especially in Franchise Mode & done correctly, HEALTH just may be the thing that drives DPRS in Franchise Mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »