Home

EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

This is a discussion on EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #457
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
2k, as a smaller dev team/company probably could make their game cheaper than Madden could, so they lowered the price to try try drag Madden in the red. Maybe a few more people bought 2k5 than would have at 49.99, but it really didn't make a dent in Madden's numbers people just bought both games.

Here's what I would like someone to explain to me. How can you say "EA doesn't care about their customers" and then say "we're the customer, we have a voice." How can you say "EA doesn't care about us, but we matter to EA"?????
I could better answer your question if I knew, in what context, you are asking this question. Is this a direct response to a particular post?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #458
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV
That's easy enough to understand. Back in the day, there were people who wouldn't even try 2k football because they were so loyal to Madden. The $19.99 price tag changed that -- to the tune of where Madden went from outselling 2k football 10-1 down to 2-1, if my memory serves. If 2k football continued another year, 2k might've even outsold Madden -- we'll never know, because the exclusive was signed and that was it.
So, therefore, the price cut is what helped close the gap. Before that, the masses were not divided.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #459
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, therefore, the price cut is what helped close the gap. Before that, the masses were not divided.
I'm not even really sure what you're talking about at this point...sorry.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #460
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
That's easy enough to understand. Back in the day, there were people who wouldn't even try 2k football because they were so loyal to Madden. The $19.99 price tag changed that -- to the tune of where Madden went from outselling 2k football 10-1 down to 2-1, if my memory serves. If 2k football continued another year, 2k might've even outsold Madden -- we'll never know, because the exclusive was signed and that was it.
Pure speculation. It's just as likely that when 2k returned to a $49.99 price point for NFL 2k6, sales would have dipped back to the 300-500,000 unit level of NFL 2k2-2k4.

As you said, we'll never know.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #461
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I'm not even really sure what you're talking about at this point...sorry.
You quoted me from a different poster that I quoted.

Sorry, not about to go into explanations, you'll need to back track if you want to know what we were discussing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #462
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Pure speculation. It's just as likely that when 2k returned to a $49.99 price point for NFL 2k6, sales would have dipped back to the 300-500,000 unit level of NFL 2k2-2k4.

As you said, we'll never know.
If you honestly believe that NFL2k11 would've only sold 300-500,000 units, while M11 stayed at 5 million, who am I to say you're wrong.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #463
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Tomato - tomata. His point still holds weight. Madden itself is profitable even with the exclusive license.

I know that the previous generation of Madden's offered a layer of depth that is still unmatched on the PS3/360. But beyond that, I'm still shocked at how much praise those games get.

I recall a few years ago that the biggest gripe with Madden was the line play. There was never a pocket -- just a wall of linemen doing the shuffle. This was a big-big-big issue, or at least it was portrayed to be in several forums. Now the line play is better than it has ever been in Madden IMO, yet there is a faction of folks who'll prefer to play the prev gen Madden with the abysmal line play.

Without straying too far off topic, I guess my point is that if realism is what people clamor for in Madden (and they do), how can people enjoy the previous Maddens so much? I think that the current Maddens from a gameplay standpoint are arguably more realistic than the previous gen editions. That doesn't mean today's game is more fun or more balanced -- just talking in terms of realism.

Not at all challenging you KJ, just making a point.
Take a look at Madden 10s line play. Guards stand in place and spin 360 on toss plays. There is no real pocket in that game either. There is also a catch, with improved line play comes the terrible pro-tak system that animates like a goofy group hug and then has scat backs break out of the animation by having difends slinde down and off like the rb is covered in vasoline. So you fixed your big-big problem of line play and traded it in for ridiculous tackling, and that makes ps2 version unplayable?

Ps2 has had great sideline catches for years, Madden 11 finally got it. Ps2 has a playbook editor, play creator, allows you to creat sub packages before the game, allows individual press coverage, has formation shifts, user controlled celebrations,in game saves, has more organic commentary, better running and tackling animations.

Madden 11's major feature to counter all this is gameflow and rewinds which allows for the cpu to pick plays and do overs if I feel cheated.

Now ps2 not only has deeper modes across the boards, it also has fantasy challenge/ tournament modes, historic rosters, madden challenges and madden cards that are missing from current gen all together. Finally, even with all that it's always been priced at $20 less.

Not trying to offend you, but claiming the improvements to line play outweigh all the positives I just posted and that ps2 madden fans play for nostalgia is just ridiculous to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #464
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
well ryan, from 2006-2011, what do u think EA has done for its customer, even the 2K customers that lost there game in O6? Nothing really, because presentation hasn't gotten too 2K5 levels yet and Madden still can't compete with ALLPRO2k8 gameplay yet, so u tell me?
Ok based on this statement , I will say maybe EA doesn't listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
We, the customers, don't have voices; we have wallets. Slowly but surely, those wallets closing.
Ok, I will accept this as true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I could better answer your question if I knew, in what context, you are asking this question. Is this a direct response to a particular post?
See the two posts above...but no when I wrote that I was just being general, LT.

If EA doesn't care , why bitch? Just don't buy the game and be done with it. Most people offer criticism in the hope of a better product. If you assume EA doesn't listen you MUST also assume they aren't listening to you. It's a logical fallacy to do otherwise... and therefore a waste of time to come here.

"Exercise our power and don't buy the game." There's no need to for that though...if people don't like a game, or it's not as good people want, they won't buy it. My guess is it's already happening with people who don't like it... so what you're really saying is "people who like it still shouldn't buy it." It's like certain people are simply INCAPABLE of grasping that they're in the minority...and how little power they have. I don't think Madden is GOAT, but I would NEVER tell someone who likes a product not to buy it.

I just hate the rhetoric. EA doesn't listen, let's make a noise in the forest where nobody's around to hear.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »