Home

EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

This is a discussion on EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #465
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV
If you honestly believe that NFL2k11 would've only sold 300-500,000 units, while M11 stayed at 5 million, who am I to say you're wrong.
What I believe is this: the only time the NFL/APF 2k franchise sold over a million units in a given year was when it was priced at less than 20 dollars. We can debate the whys and wherefores of that ad naseum, but that doesn't make it any less true.

The assumption made by the majority of the 2k fans that in time TT/VC would have been able to maintain a steady increase in it's percentage of marketshare without a bargain price point is an act of pure faith: there is no way to prove or disprove such a statement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #466
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Exactly. I agree with your point above. My point: It's still profitable. It's still an alright game, even after I was really enamored after patch 5, the Show will take it RIGHT out of my system, and maybe MLB2k11.

bottom line is it doesn't matter. EA will be making NFL football for years to come. What's 5 million times 60? 300 million dollars. I doubt anyone on the dev team makes more than 500k. The license is what? 76 mill? That's still mill of profit. If publishing costs , dev costs and shipping costs, etc. total $100 million dollars, there's still $123 million of profit.
You're actually wrong. EA doesn't make the full $60 on each copy. They make between $30-$40. You didn't factor in the retailer's piece, among other things.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #467
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom.h
You're actually wrong. EA doesn't make the full $60 on each copy. They make between $30-$40. You didn't factor in the retailer's piece, among other things.
Ok that's true. So 5 mil x $40= $200 mil - $76 mil lice= $124 mil. So does publishing and distribution and developing and marketing cost $124 mil? Because if it costs $.01 less than that , Madden is profitable
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #468
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I've wondered this myself many times. The only answers I can come up with is either people really care more about the extra modes than gameplay, or pure nostalgia.

As much as I critique Madden 11, I would say that it is probably the best Madden game ever, in terms of gameplay. How anyone can think that PS2 Madden is better, in terms of gameplay, is beyond me.

I don't know. Maybe I'm in the Twilight Zone or something, but as a savvy gamer who's seen a couple decades of gaming evolution, it's hard to look back, critically, and say that Madden was ever a great depiction of the game of Football. It's had the same issues since the very first Madden on consoles.

Having said that, almost none of the issues of the past iterations have been eliminated, but some of them have been at least lessened in subsequent years, so by default, the gameplay is better than it's ever been.

For what ever that's worth.
I disagree. Almost every problem the past games had is still there or worse. For example, both games have had defenders running routes before wr's. However, ps2 has individual press coverage and wr shading. So if I shade a wr to the inside and he runs an out route, he will get seperation. The current version I just have to pray the cpu plays good defense for me without any input.

So which game has better gameplay for pass defense? The one where the cpu makes all the decisions or the one where the gamer is allowed to have input on how his secondary plays?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #469
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
The assumption made by the majority of the 2k fans that in time TT/VC would have been able to maintain a steady increase in it's percentage of marketshare without a bargain price point is an act of pure faith: there is no way to prove or disprove such a statement.
At least those fans have NBA2k and Live to go by as an example. Look what happened in that sport, where EA tried but was unable to get an exclusive. Today, their NBA game is off the market and they're pumping out NBA Jam which not many cared about. Meanwhile, NBA2k did gangbuster, Madden type sales numbers this year. Not saying it would have happened, but it very well could have with football, too, which is where 2k had a TON of momentum going (until the exclusive was signed).
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #470
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Ok that's true. So 5 mil x $40= $200 mil - $76 mil lice= $124 mil. So does publishing and distribution and developing and marketing cost $124 mil? Because if it costs $.01 less than that , Madden is profitable
I posted this a few pages back, and it's still true. EA was basically giving Madden away this year to even get to 5 million:

"I don't think anywhere close to 5 million people paid $60 for M11. One million of those sales were on PSP/PS2/Wii, first of all. Secondly, there were all kinds of discounted pre-orders this year, and everybody was selling it at $29.99 pretty much from Thanksgiving until Christmas."
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #471
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
What we do know is that 2/3 - 3/4 of Madden's Budget is spent on Marketing. With how slowly Madden has progressed over the years, there's something wrong with this picture, IMO.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/101634/ea...-game_s-budget
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #472
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Once a retailer buys inventory, it's the retailer's to price how they wish.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »