Home

NHL 12 Videos - Gameplay

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Videos - Gameplay within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 12 Gameplay Vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I really don't mind dumb AI if it's on a lower setting.
The AI should get smarter as you move up in difficulty.

But I hope these same brain-lapses by the CPU don't occur as often on the tougher difficulty settings.
It seemed to me in past games the LD and RD are programmed to "auto-reset" back to their original positions after they get caught up-ice, etc. That seems to be what's happening in the second vid.

Keith is on the right side, and should stay there and cover the two Red Wing players in the right faceoff circle. But he inexplicably vacates his defensive position to skate across to the left side of the ice. Meanwhile, Seabrook, who is on the left side and inches away from the puck carrier, completely ignores him and cuts back to the right faceoff circle.

Like I said, the problem here appears to be that CPU players are programmed to auto-reposition themselves, regardless of what's happening in the midst of the play. If that's an A.I. programming issue on the lower difficulty levels, it's no doubt going to happen on the higher levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #42
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
The puck's a little more on edge/bouncy on the dumps behind the net, which causes a few more pileups behind the net. Not sure if that is what folks want or not.

As for defense, there are penalty kills going on in both the videos, which might tie into the passive nature -- the first Detroit scoring chance makes the D look bad though regardless. Also, I played it on what will be the default online settings, but the demo itself is set below that -- doubt many other folks changed the level and game style like me. That may also affect some stuff.
Good point on the fact they are both Penalty Kill videos. that could have something to do with it.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #43
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NHL 12 Videos - Gameplay

Hmmm, the CHI/DET video looks different... slower overall speed, particularly with turns as they're in a somewhat wider radius. Maybe different settings from the E3 Winter Classic videos?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Agreed. Watch the first few seconds of that second vid. Three Hawk players, all within 10-15 feet of the puck carrier, and all of them peel off and skate away from the action. Seabrook (7) is 1-2 feet away from the puck carrier. He could sneeze and knock the puck off his stick. Yet he turns and simply skates away from him. Meanwhile Keith (2) to the right of the goalie skates away from the two guys in the right circle, leaving them wide open. Plus he parks himself in front of his keeper and screens him completely. Really bad. And not due to penalty kill A.I. either, as the Hawks have 5 skaters on the ice.
Yeah good observations. As someone else has mentioned, I have accepted the fact that the game will continue to be mainly a north-south tape-to-tape pass game with little emphasis on defense(just look at how limited the defensive controls are). Which is fine, as long as they keep improving other parts of the game.

It would just be nice if there was a middle of the ground mode instead of simply AI god mode(superstar) and AI idiot mode (every other level). Programming in some standard set hockey plays a la 2k10 would at least be a step up, at least you would know what your D would do every time instead of wandering off leaving the slot wide open.

oh BTW: In my original post I was talking about the gameplay vids from the winter classic.

Last edited by plaidchuck; 07-11-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
Pro

OVR: 10

Okay, I just watched the CHI-DET video and I think it's even worse than the winter classic one... wow... So they've been worried about having goalie injuries in-game but now you can belly flop into them and then have a seizure on the ice? The AI was an absolute wreck with the D randomly skating around circles in the corner on the PK, and the goal was the same ridiculous looking deflection animation through the five hole.. wow this definitely wasn't a very flattering video to put up for the game, at least they're being honest though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #46
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Hmmm, the CHI/DET video looks different... slower overall speed, particularly with turns as they're in a somewhat wider radius. Maybe different settings from the E3 Winter Classic videos?
I felt like the game was slower, but the fast guys stood out more if that makes sense.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
Banned

boilermakernet08's Arena

OVR: 0

That collision between Datsyuk and Crawford was just incredibly awkward. I find it funny they both fell flat on their behinds at the exact same time. And what was the deal when Datsyuk was laying in the crease and (I think) Seabrook was skating toward him? It looked like Seabrook was just pushing him along with no regard to physics. I like what EA is doing with running into the goalie but that video looked totally awkward. Hopefully its just a bug that will be fixed when the full game comes out.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #48
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I felt like the game was slower, but the fast guys stood out more if that makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense. And I'm surprised you're still talking to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »