Home

NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

At E3, I got my first chance to play NHL 12. I came away relatively impressed by the gameplay additions, but at the same time, I was absolutely terrified by how the games themselves were playing out on the ice. The checks were out of hand, glass was breaking during every period, and essentially it was more like NHL Hitz 12 than NHL 12.

Thankfully, sanity has returned in a post-E3 environment. The developers have tuned the game to bring it more in line with what you might actually see in an NHL arena, and this has excited me all over again for EA's annual hockey franchise. In short, I'm finally getting to see what NHL 12 is all about on the ice.

Read More - NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

they really need to put a camera in the net for realism especially with all the contact that will happen with the new goalie physx and replays to decide if the goal stands or not. i mean with us being able to now make contact with the goalie and the net can come off its mournings this will make goal review a lot more interesting and the best replay view is the overhead or the one in the net.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Great write up, Chase. Appreciate the honesty. As it stands, it's still the one game I look forward to most every year. Interested to see how all these changes to the goalie play out in OTP/EASHL play, as that's where I play the majority of the time. The POTENTIAL is there for this to be the most organic online experience in this series yet. Can't wait to find out.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Great write-up Chase.
I loved hearing how you felt certain players had different strengths and the strategy that goes with those advantages.
Can you comment if you saw the CPU use it's players accordingly as well? Did you notice playing against a bruising defenseman compared to a more passive, slick dman (Chara vs Lidstrom)?
Or what about the different type of forwards? Did you see a difference between a sniping forward, a playmaker or a grinder?
Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
I love me some EA NHL. Can't wait!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6
Great write-up Chase! I appreciate you being through and detailed in your impressions.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

Thanks Chase for the straight forward write up. Always refreshing to read reviews that cover the good...and the maybe not quite as good things.

What I'm kinda sensing is, that NHL'12' may not be a breakthrough release. But at least another good effort outta EA Canada. I'll be in line on 9/13.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Nice write up Chase. Question you may be able to answer, is there a broadcast cam in this year? They really need to add this. I hope they did.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »