Home

Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

This is a discussion on Yet Another Jordan Comeback? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimCity
Everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share.

But the notion that "hey, MJ was a great cover last year, so let's do it again this year" from a marketing standpoint to me isn't very fresh.

People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.

To me, sequels are just never quite the original, especially when dealing with things of nostalgic value.
That's a fair opinion. But on that same hand, any player besides MJ isn't MJ. And to take it one step further, I'm not sure why a back-to-back Iverson cover wouldn't fly in today's world (aka 6 years later). I think MJ (and Magic and Larry) transcend "just another basketball player". If it was any other player besides them? Right. Exactly. That's what makes them, them. The fact that they can be retired for anywhere between 8 and 20 years and still make a massive splash with their cover appearance is what separates them from the rest.

And it's true, sequels are indeed never the originals. They're sequels. Often they don't meet their origin's standards, but sometimes they do exceed them (Dark Knight vs. Batman Begins for example). I'm not expecting a rehash in game modes. I'm not expecting just a "Jordan Challenge Pt. 2, now featuring a game he had against the Bucks in '93". I'm expecting strides to be made. And maybe that's off base, because you're only addressing things from a marketing standpoint. But even then, adding two more bigger than life Hall of Famers to your cover is one helluva sequel.

Last edited by VDusen04; 07-21-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMizzle
I strongly disagree with that article. As long as 2K is still focused, your not stopping them. How many times have those questions of "How they going to top last years game?", and etc been brought up and time after time after time (11+ yrs) have they delivered on not only answering the criticism but surpassing expectations?
I like the move of three great players on their covers. Jordan, Bird, Magic...shoot all they missing is Isaiah Thomas lol. I say they bring out the 1990 Dream Team!

I'm not worried about 2K Sports being lazy or taking plays off. They are a humble company in my opinion. They are not sitting on EA money, they are hungry. Matter of fact I don't believe money is the reason why they do things the way they do things. Of course they make games for money bc they have to live but I believe they truly want to bring the ppl/fans the closest experience to sports as possible. This is why I can't wait till they get another crack at the NFL license.

This is the money ea is sitting on:

Last edited by Green Magic; 07-21-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 10

I would agree with you Mr Sim City if it looked as if they were just going to focus on MJ again. But it looks like (only going off knowing that they've added the Run TMC and 2001-2002 Kings squads. Those additions only make sense in a certain context) their expanding the entire historic experience that was really only background fodder for MJ last year. It wasn't fully explored. Looks like their taking this thing the whole way this year. With more polished gameplay this year they'll be ready to unleash a game with full historic capabilities and totally revamped gameplay ideas if they so choose in 2k13.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimCity
People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.
So now you are not only comparing MJ to Iverson but MJ, Bird, and Magic to him.

You just don't get it. Perhaps you should just stick to writing about Soccer as your avatar would suggest.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #29
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
On one hand, to reiterate, I love the cover choices this year. First, from a personal standpoint (because it seems to insinuate more classic work is to come). And second, from a logical standpoint, because it seems to be a sound choice to make given the lockout. It's just a fitting puzzle piece.

However, to be fair, there's always been issues in the NBA. The MJ edition could have just as well come with a gambling mode and the ability to call out your teammates during drills by manipulating the right bumper in conjunction with Y.

Or Magic Mode could feature draft picks who choose to play for only teams of their choice while eventually providing the opportunity for players to enter ultimatums to the front office to fire the coach or trade them.

Or in honor of the return of 80's basketball, "cocaine addiction" could be listed as a new injury.

And that's not to say the MJ's or anyone in the 80's were horrible people. Rather, I'm just saying players and stars who aren't perfect is nothing new. I feel sometimes, current generations get the brunt of accusations like this. The same accusations were there in the 90's too when Derrick Coleman was coming along. Each era has their issues.
you gotta do it more light hearted man lol
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #30
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
LOL

Everything was hilarious, except the bolded part. Plus, the Spurs won 61 games and lost in the first-round not the 65 you claimed.

Even if 2K uses old footage and current players, as they did with 2K11, the marketability of Bird, Johnson and Jordan surpasses every current player in the NBA. They are considered the "holy trinity" of NBA basketball to many people around the world. Even I as die-hard Spur fan, but life-long Magic Johnson fan, am pumped to buy the Magic limited edition cover. They can do many creative things with their marketing and still not have Bird, Johnson or Jordan directly involved.

Yeah i know it wasnt 65...the whole post was an exxageration and a joke anyway... good one though, i knew it was coming lol

Also I agreew ith this post... I like the idea of keeping the interest of the classics fans while improving the gameplay which basically is for the entire game, current and classics.. why people are trying to seperate the 2 is silly
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
you gotta do it more light hearted man lol
Yeah my bad there, man. I think my threat level is just set to "Guarded" right now with all the comparisons being thrown around of why one era is better than the next, yadda, yadda, yadda. It kind of renders my sarcasm meter useless.

Last edited by VDusen04; 07-22-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #32
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12
3 of the greatest players to ever lace em up on the covers? What's not to love? Me likee.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »