Home

NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Digital Trends) - Shot Reviews Are In!

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Digital Trends) - Shot Reviews Are In! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K12 Preview-Going Retro With NBA's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco11
At least they got Majerle's orange skin tone right!

Those were the days! One star per team had a signature move...if you wanted to keep stats you had to do it on a notepad! Don't think I didn't either. I would do seasons.
Yup, NBA Showdown '94's primary draw to me was custom haircuts. The minute I saw screenshots of a blonde Dennis Rodman and buzzed Chris Mullin in GamePlayer's magazine, I was all in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #42

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
NBA’s Greatest mode could go a long way toward getting people who have been off basketball games back into them.

I think some people really underestimate the power of this line right here. People chasing newer and younger sales for games sometimes forget that the older demographic once supported an entire industry all by themselves. I.E you can actually increase sales by catering to them also. It not just about getting 9 year old timmy hooked.
Giving us probably the best Charlotte Hornets team ever will guarantee a good amount of buys from Charlotte. Just for nostalgia alone.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
Giving us probably the best Charlotte Hornets team ever will guarantee a good amount of buys from Charlotte. Just for nostalgia alone.
I believed the hype.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #44
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco11
At least they got Majerle's orange skin tone right!

Those were the days! One star per team had a signature move...if you wanted to keep stats you had to do it on a notepad! Don't think I didn't either. I would do seasons.
amen brother I probably still have some remnants of my old "statbooks" ROTFLOL I knew I was alone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #45
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
In my opinion, there is a very sharp contrast between having All-Decade teams where legends are available for use on All-Star teams all wearing generic "All-70's" uniforms and what 2K12 is offering this year. For me, it's not the same area code. It's not the same state. It may not even be the same planet.

I suppose I'd pose this question in hopes of creating an understanding: If 2K did not offer 30 current NBA teams and instead only provided a 2011 East and West All-Star roster, would you be satisfied?

Even when 2K opened up those All-Decade teams and allowed each legend to be sent to whatever team we chose, the idea of assigning Julius Erving to the current 76ers with long shorts and a fresh pair of Hyperdunks was still very fantastical and unauthentic. Again, picture if the only Kevin Durant available in 2K11 was one wearing short shorts, Chuck Taylors, and an old Sonics jersey. Technically Kevin Durant would be in the game, but clearly something major would be amiss (and imagine not being able to use him alongside his Thunder teammates). 2K12's approach is the way to incorporate legends. It couldn't possibly be any further from the idea of being a mere "repackaging". This is a revolution.
Great post and exactly the reason All Pro football didn't have the lasting appeal to me. Playing with Barry, Elway, and Marino was fun but I would still be playing that game had it had real teams, uniforms, presentation, etc. Best gameplay ever in a football game IMO but just didn't have that lasting appeal to keep me coming back. Although I refuse to sell my copy :-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #46
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
Honestly I don't even know why I'm bugging, maybe i'm just playing Devils Advocate. Because growing up in the 80's/90's I prefer that era of basketball any day over todays players/era.

Would be cool to start a season with the legends teams. maybe even an online league.

And seeing that video of Tom chambers double pump reminds me of how far basketball games have come. No crossovers, no behind the back, spin moves were done manually, passing out the air was no an option, no signature anything except for the one (or two if you're Jordan) move for each superstar. Yeah these games have come a long way
Imagine dlc for seasons? Kind of like strat o matic in a video game. I would finally pay for dlc if this happened.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #47
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Legends mode, but why are poeple acting like this is new to 2k?

2k always had 1950's-1990's players in the game. Up until they added Jordan this year.
Granted you may not have been able to play with the likes of Bill Cartwright, BJ Armstrong, or Bill Wennington, but that's not who people are excited to play the game for.

Young Shaq, Penny, Zo, Run TMC, Hakeem, Ewing, Bird, Magic, Zeke, Russell, Wilt, Dr. J, and all those guys have always been in the game. Some of them even had multiple players (Dr. J 70's with giant fro, Dr. J 80's with mini fro).

It's almost as if 2k repackaged the same feature with a shiny new wrapper and everyone thinks its better. When actually, it's equal to or less than the 2k10 and lower features of all time greats.

the good thing is that 2k isn't just relying on that to impress people, they are actually fine tuning an already great game.
This post is so way off base I don't know where to begin. Fortunately, others have shot it down with sensible logic. To compare what 2k12 will have in terms of legends and classic teams and how it will be presented and packaged to what was trotted out in previous 2k titles is nothing short of a colossal failure on the poster's part.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0
why dont the 01-02 kings have a rival???

whats going on, this dont make sense..they must have someone to dance with in their time line...01-02 lakers???

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »