Home

Madden NFL 13 Hands-On Impressions From Community Event #3 (DLG)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Hands-On Impressions From Community Event #3 (DLG) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #209
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 13 Hands-On Impressions From Community Event #3 (DLG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureEffect
Yes but you will have to take into account if the WR is looking for the ball this year with the new "icon" system and players actually looking for the ball to make a play. I feel safe throwing to a spot on a 10-15 yard out route before the WR makes his cut but I wouldn't say it's 100%. You have to take into account the QB & the WR.

I am a huge fan of APF2K8s passing game and the maximum passing controls and with that said...I like the one thats in M13; especially how you can throw a WR open and the WR will adjust his route to make an appropriate catch.
Thanks for posting this but I just want to be clear on one thing (for now anyway):

I've noticed on occasion that in previous versions of Madden the wr will make his cut before the qb has finished his drop back (I don't think it's true for all plays, but I've never tried narrowing it down to find out which plays have this problem). So what I've done is first stop the qb's motion, wait a split second (otherwise the game still thinks he's moving) and then throw. To your knowledge, does that still happen in Madden 13?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #210
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Can someone talk about WR route running. How does it look? Are players exploding off the line. Also, in the one clip where Woodson plays press coverage on Williams, and Williams catches it to the outside, let me ask, what did a success press, cover and defend pass look like even with a pass to the outside or inside wherever the DB was? Also, did you guys get any glimpse of what side the DB's tended to play more towards in man coverage on certain routes which determined which way you would lead the throw? Can you complete a back shoulder throw? How successful was it?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #211
MVP

OVR: 12

Are timing routes true timing routes? i.e. 3,5,7, step drop and the balls out?

If you're throwing a route that should be timed can you throw the ball to the spot or will
the ball attempt to go directly to the receiver? I hated getting to the top of my drop and lead passing toward the sideline only to have the route be poorly timed and the pass being thrown directly at the back of the receiver.

If a receiver is being jostled at the line of scrimmage, say on a 9 or a fade route, can you lead the receiver as he comes free or will the pass be thrown only as deep as the receiver?

Is the "throw the receiver open" too overpowered. I hated how in the other game the intended route could essentially be completely changed while the ball was in the air. Heck, you could turn a post into a corner and the receiver would magically, magnetically change his route and make an impossible adjustment.

Even the out routes that were shown in NCAA and Madden 13 were a little unrealistic. If a receiver is running an out route he's going to be pretty flat and it's a helluva adjustment to turn that route into a corner route.

Were you guys auto-dropping to test the timing or were you manual dropping?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #212
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I'd like to know how the catch animations look on the back shoulder throws. I was really hoping Madden got those in this year. Nice to hear they have. Can't wait to see them.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #213
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Having user control SHOULD NOT EVER in my opinion override the ratings. Now I feel that Madden 13 does not override the ratings like I felt Madden 12 did. The only reward i felt you gain with user control was the "wow" factor and sense of accomplishment in M13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
I would not consider myself very good with the sticks, more of a call your play, hike it and throw guy.. I will occasionally user catch and user pick but it is not featured in my strategy.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly and felt i could be effective without having to user intervene at times. I was very competitive in the User v User games we had in the tournament too... i kept the game close most of the time and won a few.
Quote:
I mention something about this in my video coming up tonight on TSS. I feel like the playing field has been equalized a bit with Madden 13. I think I was one of the only ones to beat Mole the whole time we were down there; although he won the tournament and killed me when we played in it...I have & had no fear going up against tournament players as a player who much like you Ryno..calls the play, hikes it, and lets it run its course unless intervening is needed.

As far as "User" catching goes; I dont think its a necessity that you do it but you have the option to and it may make you slightly better than someone who does not use it. If I feel the ball could possibly be intercepted; I will try and user catch but otherwise I just put the ball in a spot to where only my WR should be able to catch it and let the CPU do its thing.
Quote:
Yes but you will have to take into account if the WR is looking for the ball this year with the new "icon" system and players actually looking for the ball to make a play. I feel safe throwing to a spot on a 10-15 yard out route before the WR makes his cut but I wouldn't say it's 100%. You have to take into account the QB & the WR.

I am a huge fan of APF2K8s passing game and the maximum passing controls and with that said...I like the one thats in M13; especially how you can throw a WR open and the WR will adjust his route to make an appropriate catch.

I think a lot of us were about to step out on to the ledge, but there is a lot of solid clarification here. I personally agree that making User plays is much more satisfying then letting the CPU do it. I also agree with Big FN Deal that User controling should be a higher risk than the CPU of crappy execution, or misplays. The best a User should expect is to get player to play to his max ratings. No more Brian Finneran, demi-god, scenarios.

Even if there are still flaws in the game design wise, when compared to how things work in the NFL, a major, major step forward will have occurred when a CPU-only player can play against a H2H-only player with teams of equivalent talent, playing his normal game and have most of the games be competitive, instead of worrying about being Jedi Mind Tricked into submission.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #214
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

Thanks for the info, APF2k8 is the gold standard for passing IMO, so if it's truly better that would be great. Another small nit pick about madden's passing game compared to 2K8 is how the ball left the QB's hand, the animation was off in madden and it never looked truly like it was being thrown but shot putted, has this been addressed.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #215
Rookie

Jaaa's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

Ok, consider me extremely interested now. 2K8's passing was, IMO, light years ahead of M12. So for someone from TSS to say its even approached that level, let alone prefer M13's passing (not entirely sure if that was what you meant?), well, it's gonna be a long wait for the demo. For the record, I would love nothing more than to call Madden X better than 2K8, I just have uncompromising standards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #216
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Why would you say something like this when OS was represented in the past, still has Rgiles, Redzone, TSS goes and on numerous occasions RynoAid, Casey and Shaun Mason have consistently stated in these forums they constructively criticize the developers when they are down there.

We really don't know how we are represented until we go down ourselves, but I don't think anyone here is lying, either.
Just to clarify I have not been a Madden attendee, I've been down 4 times for NCAA this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »