Home

$27 Million Settlement Announced in EA Madden Price-Fixing Lawsuit

This is a discussion on $27 Million Settlement Announced in EA Madden Price-Fixing Lawsuit within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #161
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: $27 Million Settlement Announced in EA Madden Price-Fixing Lawsuit

I love how some people in this thread are hoping for NCAA 15 The Show, or NFL The Show, made by Sony; to, you know, expand on "The Show" brand name.

Too funny.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #162
Banned

StrawHat Patriot's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
I love how some people in this thread are hoping for NCAA 15 The Show, or NFL The Show, made by Sony; to, you know, expand on "The Show" brand name.

Too funny.
I said NFL Goodell 15.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #163
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
I bet 2k isn't as far behind at being able to release a new NFL game then some think.
Not correct from what I understand.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #164
Pro

Super Glock's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
I think you're looking at this all wrong bruh. They will still be able (and probably will) to make video games -- what most of us are hoping for in this case is that someone else jumps in to make a game.
I don't think he is, it looks like the NFL will only sign one exclusive deal with a company to make an NFL game whether that be EA or 2K. I just read this on MMChriss blog "NFL has shown no interest of divvying out game development rights to more than one company."

Last edited by Super Glock; 07-23-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #165
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Not correct from what I understand.
Well, 2K had to of brought something to the table when they met with the NFL a couple years ago. The fact that the NFL extended their license with EA but for only 1 year was a big question mark as to what's really about to happen. Why only a one year extension after meeting with 2K...? You'd think they'd go long term with EA again if talks really failed between 2K and the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #166
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi XIII
Well, 2K had to of brought something to the table when they met with the NFL a couple years ago. The fact that the NFL extended their license with EA but for only 1 year was a big question mark as to what's really about to happen. Why only a one year extension after meeting with 2K...? You'd think they'd go long term with EA again if talks really failed between 2K and the NFL.
I'm not 100% sure that EA wanted another "Exclusive" deal. The one year extension was clearly what the owners wanted. If you read into what Wayne Weaver (The Jags owner) said.

Quote:
“For one of our core partners in a difficult environment, we say let’s look at this, and maybe it makes some sense to extend something out longer and give our partner some relief in the short term but gain something on the back end,”

Basically, the owners said we will give you a break but only if we get an extension for another year at full price.

EA probably doesn't have to pay a premium anymore to be exclusive. No one else has the startup cost to bring a new game into the mix. It's different with things like apparel and the Sunday ticket. There isn't much infrastructure that needs to be built to provide those for a "new" company. Making games is different because there is a substantial development cost to actually BUILD the product.

I firmly believe nfl football gaming is dead due to this exclusive stuff, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out financially since there really isn't a reason for EA to pay a high premium anymore.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #167
MVP

OVR: 3

Well it is some level of justice. We all deserve our money back for the last 5 years of EA Sports football.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #168
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I'm not 100% sure that EA wanted another "Exclusive" deal. The one year extension was clearly what the owners wanted. If you read into what Wayne Weaver (The Jags owner) said.

Basically, the owners said we will give you a break but only if we get an extension for another year at full price.

EA probably doesn't have to pay a premium anymore to be exclusive. No one else has the startup cost to bring a new game into the mix. It's different with things like apparel and the Sunday ticket. There isn't much infrastructure that needs to be built to provide those for a "new" company. Making games is different because there is a substantial development cost to actually BUILD the product.

I firmly believe nfl football gaming is dead due to this exclusive stuff, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out financially since there really isn't a reason for EA to pay a high premium anymore.
People read way too much into that jaguars quote. It was spoken before the lockout was resolved. In a worst case scenario the NFL would be negotiating a new deal after the cancellation of a season so it makes a lot of sense to extend it a year with the expectation that labor unrest would have concluded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »