Home

Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

This is a discussion on Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Goat 404
I agree with everything except the 4 year bowl ban. those kids are being punished also and i know they can transfer and all but what about the ones who just wanted to play at Penn State they whole life
Do you disagree with every bowl ban ever handed down? Because I promise that most of the kids who suffer from bowl bans never had anything to do with the sanctions imposed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #42
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I don't get why the NCAA don't have jurisdiction here. They placed santions on USC because Reggie Bush family worked out a deal with an agent. That had nothing to do with USC. However the NCAA essentially ruled that the university had the obligation to find out and act on it. In this case they knew something illegal were taking place and covered it up so the team could remain competive. If that doesn't fall under the NCAA jurisdiction I don't know what is?
They placed sanctions (albeit too harsh IMO) on USC because there was a specific bylaw that was broken and the AA cited this bylaw in that case. In this case, there isnt a bylaw that was broken, even though people want to point to the ethics in this case. Go read bylaw 10.1 which deals with ethical conduct, you will find that in every single sub there, the AA clearly states this bylaw with having to do with grades, benefits, and other bylaws stated in the manual. Again, the AA needs to state what bylaw Penn State broke here. Im not saying they shouldnt be punished, but I feel the AA went about it the wrong way and simply deciding that you are going to alter the bylaws after the fact is something that I think could be very dangerous with that group.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
Bearer of the curse

Pokes's Arena

OVR: 19

So if PSU is being punished for the complicity of the football program retroactively in these events; then a serious look needs to be made at Notre Dame over the falling death of that student filming their practices, and at Colorado for those recruiting rape parties that occurred in the mid to late 90s.

NCAA: Oklahoma State Cowboys - Michigan Wolverines
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: Houston Rockets
MLB: Houston Astros
PSN: Kaiserwilson
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 8

I'm ok with it, would have liked to seen it even worse if possible.

And Penn State fans really should not even comment on this...you just come off looking arrogant and petty IMO. I do applaud the few Penn State fans who own up to this and say we deserved harsh terms because well, your program does deserve these terms and some.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #45
Pro

br329's Arena

OVR: 9

Joe Schad@schadjoe Big Ten fines PSU $13 M and confirms they are not eligible for conference title game for four years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #46
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

OVR: 0
Loss off 10 scholarships over 4 years, no bowl appearances for 4 years and a fine of 60 million dollars. as much as i dont agree with the NCAA punishing the kids already there but something had to be done to send a message. And i'm ok with it. Plus PSU agreed to the sanctions so if they agreed then it does not really matter if the NCAA had the right to get involved or not. It's still sick to know that it was a big cover up i mean really? just....c'mon man. I dont understand how you can just sit by while kids are being raped right under your nose.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #47
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by br329
Joe Schad@schadjoe Big Ten fines PSU $13 M and confirms they are not eligible for conference title game for four years
So the AD will be $73 million lighter next year. Then you've got the civil suits/settlements and the DOE investigation. That's a not-so-Happy Valley. I don't even think boosters will be able to cover all of these costs once it's all over.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
I don't like it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, but for anything that actually effects Penn State, mind you.

I don't like this because it will take away money from Inn Keepers, restaurant owners, gift shops, etc, etc. from around Happy Valley. You are punishing them for something that they had nothing to do with.
I'm really tired of seeing this "the punishment hurts innocent people" thing. That's not a valid argument for why the NCAA shouldn't act and they have no responsibility to think about the restaurants or hotels in happy valley when deciding on a punishment.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »