Home

NHL 13 Video - Defensive Gameplay

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Defensive Gameplay within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #49
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 13 Video - Defensive Gameplay

lol can you imagine what the eashl will be like with the backskating..
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I hear there is a new contextual auto shot block. Should help to cut down on shot totals, and as you know if you watch the NHL, shot blocking is a HUGE part of the defensive game now. Could be a great addition if implemented well.
Why is this good ? I hate "contextual". Contextual to me means less user control. I want to hit a button and trigger the shot block, I want to play the game, in fact I want more control. Make it an option if people like it, auto shot block on/off. I want my hooking button back too ! Seems I had more control back in the old days. They did the same thing with Madden a few years ago on the defensive line. Now I have no more DL moves its just mash the stick and watch. IMO contextual is not a good thing its a way to make the game easier and to cover up flaws they can't fix.
One more thing... if they do this RATINGS better make a difference a BIG difference not a suttle unnoticeble one !

Last edited by TDKing; 08-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
First off, I'm also leery of the ease of backskating, both in the transition and the speed/agility of it. However, I hear it's fairly easy to knock the puck away from someone when they do it by poke or body contact. In fact, from what I was told, it's easier to knock the puck away in general. Still, I'm going to beg Redshirt to push for somewhat limiting backskating ability when in possession of the puck.

Another observation... I have a very hard time evaluating the video because of the puck shadow. I can't believe how weird it looks any time the puck is in motion.

I hear good things about this, at least on hardcore settings. Another tasty morsel about hardcore (as of this moment)... it's nearly impossible to complete a close range bullet pass.

I hear there is a new contextual auto shot block. Should help to cut down on shot totals, and as you know if you watch the NHL, shot blocking is a HUGE part of the defensive game now. Could be a great addition if implemented well.
I think the whole backskating thing, while I agree it looks a bit too easy to switch between the two, might be a concession we have to make, unless they make it so a player who's switching between the two on a rapid basis has a much higher chance of blowing an edge or losing the puck. Certainly something they could tune I'd imagine to find a medium between realism and the game still having a flow and being fun to play.

Awesome to hear about hardcore settings and bullet passes no longer being tape to tape, it wasn't too bad in 11, in 12 it was terrible, so if they can get that sloppy feel back, along with the puck from all acounts being looser this year, it should make for a more gritty game.

Personally I'm fine with contexual animations, the user as a player still has to make sure they put themselves in a good position defensively to trigger it as long it's it's implimented well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think the contextual shot block is a great idea. Make it so the better shot blockers in the league trigger it more often, that way a shot blocking attribute actually has a purpose.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #53
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
Why is this good ? I hate "contextual". Contextual to me means less user control. I want to hit a button and trigger the shot block, I want to play the game, in fact I want more control. Make it an option if people like it, auto shot block on/off. I want my hooking button back too ! Seems I had more control back in the old days. They did the same thing with Madden a few years ago on the defensive line. Now I have no more DL moves its just mash the stick and watch. IMO contextual is not a good thing its a way to make the game easier and to cover up flaws they can't fix.
One more thing... if they do this RATINGS better make a difference a BIG difference not a suttle unnoticeble one !
I hear you on the user control aspect. Not sure if it's a control option (like auto-backskate was), but I should be able to find out. As for why I was excited about it... I was thinking of more shot blocking by CPU-controlled skaters.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I hear you on the user control aspect. Not sure if it's a control option (like auto-backskate was), but I should be able to find out. As for why I was excited about it... I was thinking of more shot blocking by CPU-controlled skaters.
More shot blocking by the cpu would be great. Its not a game breaker for me and I know I still need to get the guy in proper postion but I would rather control the timing of the block. What happens on a fake shot? Will the defender I'm controlling automatically bite and go into a shot blocking animation even though I don't really want him too ?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #55
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
More shot blocking by the cpu would be great. Its not a game breaker for me and I know I still need to get the guy in proper postion but I would rather control the timing of the block. What happens on a fake shot? Will the defender I'm controlling automatically bite and go into a shot blocking animation even though I don't really want him too ?
Well, if we want a realistic game....

That's an effective way to get shots off in real hockey. Fake shot to send a defender down to block, then easily maneuver around him.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #56
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

i hope AI will not be PERFECT in it's defensive stand.... i still want to see PENALTIES in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »