Home

NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #433
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
  • Penalties - My biggest problem with the game last year (apart from freezing issues) was the lack of penalties. I just couldn't play an NHL game with hardly any penalties being called. So far in the demo i'm 50/50 on this, i've had runs of upto 4 periods with no penalties (despite me spamming buttons almost looking for them) but i've also had single periods with two being called when I wasn't looking for them. Of course if the slider works properly then great but right now I am concerned.
This is really my only concern with this version and past versions. I can't play a hockey game that doesn't have realistic penalties, regardless of how good the gameplay might be. PP/PK too important in hockey for them not to get it right (just like penalties in the football game they can't get right). I know there are sliders for it, but so did past versions that did very little to increase the frequency. There needs to be on average 6-7 called between the CPU and the human player. I also don't want to have to "play the game in a certain way" to make them happen. That might work for my player, but wouldn't help my CPU linemates and CPU opponent.

I am keeping my fingers crossed this turns out to be a non-issue, but I guess I will find out Friday, which will determine the fate of the game for me....first time the season ticket might be useful for me
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #434
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

So far from what I can tell the penalty's are vastly improved. With the new skating engine the game calls charges for too many strides coming into a hit. The other hitting calls are much better it will only call hitting from behind when the user or cpu hitt comes from behind.

So far I haven't had to many hooks trips or slashes unless I legitimately deserved it for poor play decisions.

Can't wait for Friday this looks like the most well rounded game since 07/08 when skill stick came out.

The addition of the new AI and the NZ forecheck also cut back on penalty's. It seems as long as long as the teams are in position and playing in the system chosen they will take less penalty's.

Last edited by onac22; 09-02-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #435
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by onac22
So far from what I can tell the penalty's are vastly improved. With the new skating engine the game calls charges for too many strides coming into a hit. The other hitting calls are much better it will only call hitting from behind when the user or cpu hitt comes from behind.

So far I haven't had to many hooks trips or slashes unless I legitimately deserved it for poor play decisions.

Can't wait for Friday this looks like the most well rounded game since 07/08 when skill stick came out.

The addition of the new AI and the NZ forecheck also cut back on penalty's. It seems as long as long as the teams are in position and playing in the system chosen they will take less penalty's.
I hope your right, but from my time with the demo, just haven't seen enough penalties to be optimistic yet. I know only a demo, but until I can see the real game in action, gonna have to go off that plus past versions......I so hope that I am wrong
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #436
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

True it is just the demo....

I guess I'd say so far I'm also a bit iffy about the number of calls, too.

I'm seeing some penalties, in fact not too bad so far. But the games history the last few years, and yeah...the penalty sliders have been very weak. So I am still a little concerned if this issue will actually be better for '13. And I agree, the PP/PK is too important a part of the game for it not to be represented somewhat close to right.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #437
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
True it is just the demo....

I guess I'd say so far I'm also a bit iffy about the number of calls, too.

I'm seeing some penalties, in fact not too bad so far. But the games history the last few years, and yeah...the penalty sliders have been very weak. So I am still a little concerned if this issue will actually be better for '13. And I agree, the PP/PK is too important a part of the game for it not to be represented somewhat close to right.
If they would just make the sliders work, then everybody would be satisfied. A person could turn them down low if they prefer to only see minimal penalties and then a person could turn them totally up to see penalties every other play But sadly, the sliders never end up working this way in any EA game so that is why I am a little concerned this is likely an area they didn't address again.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #438
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thumbs up Re: NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

i have to say that i am really impressed with the NHL demo. everything from skating to goal-tending is very impressive. i do wish that the dangle stick would be thrown out, it needs a full revamp. i feel that the dangle stick is what makes the game feel unnatural, it doesn't look realistic in tandem with the new skating engine. when im skating down the ice i want to be able to do more shifty moves. i still dont feel the difference in still handling between the greats and the bums. the good part about this year is that u really dont need the deke stick feature. EA has implemented the 45 degree cut on the left stick which opens up a whole new world for creating space. All in all, i feel nhl will be the sports title of the year. cant wait for friday for the season pass early release! Flyers all the way baby!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #439
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
If they would just make the sliders work, then everybody would be satisfied. A person could turn them down low if they prefer to only see minimal penalties and then a person could turn them totally up to see penalties every other play But sadly, the sliders never end up working this way in any EA game so that is why I am a little concerned this is likely an area they didn't address again.
I've never understood why developers don't make some of the sliders more effective.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #440
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
I've never understood why developers don't make some of the sliders more effective.
Agree....a 100%. On the surface seems like such an easy thing to do...if they don't work, why even include them in the first place?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »