Home

FIFA 13 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on FIFA 13 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #137
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: FIFA 13 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

After playing a lot of player career mode (only controlling one player) the AI problems really stand out. I feel like it is 1 vs 11 out there. It makes controlling a single player really tough. My midfielder got moved up to striker in the formation, but I ended up basically playing sweeper behind my defensive backs. They just let the other team walk in on net.

You kind of have to control every player, as the game is set up where you have to do everything yourself. It seems like sometimes there's two players open and you can only cover one. The game can be fun but extremely frustrating at the same time.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #138
Rookie

Maxflier's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
Loving the new animations. The first touch and physicality are awesome and so much fun to play with.
Ditto to all of that. First touch and the impact engine are great this year. Loving the physical play.

CPU defenders are actually competent in clubs this year, too.

Game is awesome.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #139
Rookie

OVR: 1

Has anyone else noticed during Career Mode audio updates when the scores are read off after matches that when there is a game that ended in penalties, the guy will say that the wrong team won? Ex: Barca beats Real Madrid 5-4 on penalties, the guy will say "Real Madrid won 5-4 in penalties"
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #140

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
After playing a lot of player career mode (only controlling one player) the AI problems really stand out. I feel like it is 1 vs 11 out there. It makes controlling a single player really tough. My midfielder got moved up to striker in the formation, but I ended up basically playing sweeper behind my defensive backs. They just let the other team walk in on net.

You kind of have to control every player, as the game is set up where you have to do everything yourself. It seems like sometimes there's two players open and you can only cover one. The game can be fun but extremely frustrating at the same time.
Yeah. Under the hood, FIFA is still in pre-"Tactical Defending" mode. All of your teammates play the same as they did when you could just press the defender. They're programmed to depend on you to be able to just run up and take the ball. You're pretty much on your own with the whole "tactical" deal.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #141
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
Defense is a hot mess for both sides. I have rarely seen the CPU go for a no-nonsense clearance, they would rather try to pass the ball out of the back, which leads me to my next impression: the CPU rarely passes laterally or backwards.
I was about to point this out as well, less clearances also lead to less corners and throw-ins as well. And a bit annoying at times when their clearance down the field somehow finds one of their open players in midfield.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #142
Staff Writer

kelvinmak's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

It also seems like there is no reaction the the second ball in the air for both sides as well.
Spot on. That's what I was trying to get at in my review for the game. AI players going into a trance isn't only a defense-only phenomenon, but also when the ball is in transit for any reason other than a result of a pass or a shot, like rebounds or deflections. It seems like when that second ball is in the air, your team just hangs around until it lands on somebody's foot, and then they snap back into the game and start moving to their positions. It's almost like if the ball isn't in the air because of a pass, then the AI players can't "read" where it is going, and has to wait until it's "active" again when somebody takes control of it. (Forgive me, I know it's clear as mud, but I'm a little pressed for time)

I think this is also related to why we're seeing the CPU playing the ball out from the back so much. It's because they can.

Let's say it's a corner, my player heads the ball towards the net and the goalie parries it out to a defender's foot, who is still inside the penalty box. I'd say if that was the case in real life, 7 out of 10 times they would then hoof it anywhere. But as far as I can tell, probably only 2 out of 10 times that happens in FIFA, and the rest the CPU can just play it out. Because if you decide to then pressure the defender with the ball, the rest of your AI teammates are only just coming to life and realizing where the ball is and how they should act. By then it's way too late for them to apply any sort of meaningful pressure to take away the ball player's options. If that was happening because of player attributes, then cool, but at the moment it just seems like a limitation in the AI thinking.

Last edited by kelvinmak; 10-02-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #143
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Defense is a hot mess for both sides. I have rarely seen the CPU go for a no-nonsense clearance, they would rather try to pass the ball out of the back, which leads me to my next impression: the CPU rarely passes laterally or backwards.
I consistently see back passes and lateral passes. I'm not seeing the criticism that the CPU always pushes forward.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #144
Rookie

Exile04's Arena

OVR: 1

enjoying it. i have noticed that in the later parts of the game the AI DEF seems to turn it up a notch which is awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »