Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
The "slight pause" of the ball coming out of the pitchers hand is brutal. It absolutely kills my timing at the dish. It's almost like a yo-yo. You see it cone out of his hand, pause and then the delivery animation kicks in. I hate to harp on a game when it just comes out, but this really sucks. Especially after waiting what seemed like forever, for this game to download and install.
Same here. On top of that, the stutter issue is there in the cutscenes.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Impressions Thread

Ok only played half a game during lunch but I wanted to post my first quick impressions anyway.

First of all I downloaded the game and for me the experience was very smooth. 2/2,5 hour download for everything. The menus and game are all super smooth for me. Maybe the disc version also navigates a lot faster this year but from the show 12 on disc (yes I installed the 10gb) to 13 as digital version it's very noticable!

Ok so I played half a game Cubs against Detroit.

Few thing I noticed from this short time of play:

- Rhe high bounces are gone
- The possibility to turn off the OSD's this year is wonderfull!
Besides the fact that it looks more like a real broadcast I now (have to) remember all the pitch types. Before the pitch type OSD made you (well at least me) lazy so I always looked at it to choose my pitch. Not anymore
- They finally fixed the pitch history colours!
- Really liking the new scorebar
- Lots of new camera cuts (wide opening shots of the stadiums is very nice)
- Hit variation was instantly noticable. In just 5 inning alot of hits I haven's seen before.
- The hit variation also makes the outfield play way more exciting this year! Feels really fresh!
- Liking the profile point system thing. Every inning you see how much points you've earned. Very subtle in the right corner of the screen below. Maybe next year they could even go as far as showing it after every play that earns you points.
- I like the flow of Steve Lyons
- I don't notice the pitches coming in any slower than last year..?
Always play on All Star but doesn't seem slower to me.

Ok more later on!

Loving it so far.
Thanks again SCEA!

Last edited by LastActionHero; 03-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #19

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

It seems like game doesn't count errors for CPU. I've seen CPU make a couple of errors, but when I see boxscore, they have 0 errors. It's plays that are clearly errors, like someone hitting a ball at a player and the ball bounces off the fielders glove, or a player threw the ball away.

Don't get what pitcher stutter people talking about, I haven't noticed anything
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've noticed in Franchise retirements are handled a bit better, not everyone who's 37 automatically retired. In fact in a test sim with the Yankees, only Pettitte and Rivera retired, Kuroda (39), Jeter (38) and A-Rod all returned for another year. Jeter and A-Rod regressed significantly though, both were down in the 60s and their overall abilities were diminshed. Overall I like the way progression/regression was handled this year, no more seeing A potential guys still progressiong once they're in their 30s
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Banned

MetsGiants4's Arena

OVR: 3
Stances Butchered

Is anybody noticing how bad SCEA butchered stances this year?

They ruined pretty much every guy on the Mets stance.

I'm disappointed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Pro

cake612's Arena

OVR: 9

Played an online game, seems better than last year but still pretty choppy and delayed, the swing timing is completely different and I couldn't do anything. Pitching seems ok though as far as timing goes. I'll try it with a wired connection next time but honestly I've never had a problem with shooters or most other sports games while this game just can't seem to get it right. I was ahead of everything while swinging and balls that looked past me already jumped off my bat and I fouled them off instead. I'm guessing it will be playable to some after you sort of get used to it but it seemed pretty janky and just not very smooth at all.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #23

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Another great game!
Os-2 runs,10 hits,"0" errors(game doesn't count errors for CPU?)

Jays-4 runs(should have been 5,but stupid human error strikes again),13 hits,1 error

O's with 4 doubles, Jays with 2 doubles
Each team had a HR

Jays struck out 8 batters
O's struck out 1 batter

Lawrie: 2-4,3RBI,HR

80% of my pitches were strikes
92% of CPU pitches were strikes(they threw 61 pitches in 8 innings! Cause only a handful of strikes I didn't swing at due to how good locations they all were)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Rookie

natey2k4's Arena

OVR: 1

Played one game so far;

Negatives first;

* I had some stuttering between cut-scenes. I didn't see any during pitching or actual gameplay, just cut-scenes. Annoying but not game breaking.

* I'm still not seeing the CPU throw enough balls. There's definitely more, but it took me 9 innings to draw one walk, and I'm generally a patient hitter. It's better than last year though, so with some slider adjustments, it should be great.

* It only happened once, but on a force play, it wouldn't let me throw the ball to 2nd. I had no more problems throwing all game, so it must have just been a weird glitch.

Positives;

* Diving. THANK YOU SECA! I can actually dive in the outfield and not fill like I'm putting my team at risk every time. Diving is fun and those highlight catches are fantastic in real life and now we can finally do them in the game. Last year, diving was atrocious (one of the few things 2K did better). This year, I made two fantastic diving catches catches, while missing one (but it was a lot closer than the misses last year). It seems a lot more polished.

* The hitting is fantastic. The ball sprays over the field and this year I actually never know what's a hit and what isn't. Last year, you saw the same 3 or 4 hits. This year you get bloopers, broken bat bloopers, line drive singles, blooping singles. The biggest improvement is last year, whenever an OFer was near the ball, it was a catch. This year, it can go over their head and drop. Very nice. Huge improvement.

* Hitting the pitcher. Granted, I've played one game, but last year, I'd smoke the pitcher 4 or 5 times myself, with the CPU doing once or twice. In my game this year, it hit the pitcher once and stopped dead, allowing my pitcher to toss it to 1st for the out. The only two other balls near the pitcher were fielded cleanly. Huge improvement if it stays like that.

* The graphics look nicer. Can't place my finger on what, but they do. WAY more player faces are right this year. I didn't see one Blue Jay that didn't look like his real life counterpart (although I am super tired so I may have missed someone).

* I like the slower ball speed. It will let me play on a harder difficulty while still being able to keep up with the ball. At times last year, I found the hitting far too easy, but the speed always killed me so I couldn't move it up or I'd strike out every time. I can identify pitches better this year.

My first game was a 6-1 Blue Jays win over the New York Mets on veteran settings. Jose Bautista had 2 HR, 4 RBI and was the player of the game. Jose Reyes and Melky each had two hits, with Edwin getting the other. Bautista also drew my walk. I had a couple of great pitcher battles as well with Brett Lawrie, although he ultimately lost both. RA Dickey went 7 1/3 innings notching 10 Ks while giving up 3 hits and 1 ER. Got a standing ovation as he left the field. Brett Cecil struck out both guys he faced in the 8th before Janssen came in for a 1-2-3 inning in the 9th. Finished with 13 Ks, which should knock down to 8-10 most games on the next difficulty level.

I'm sure there will be more impressions to come after I get some more games in, but thats it for now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »