Home

Operation Sports MLB 2K13 Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 2K13 Community Impressions Thread within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #193
Rookie

SlowDownTurbo86's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Operation Sports MLB 2K13 Community Impressions Thread

I have literally never owned an MLB2k game before this year. A few years back I had a ps3 which I eventually sold and I was in love with The Show. I bought this game with little to no expectations and immediately plugged in BigFNJoe's sliders and got to work.

I have to say, this game's pitching is amazing and once I learned to be patient at the plate and refused to use classic batting I started hitting pretty well. I'm running a couple of franchises just to practice until the opening day roster update and I'm loving it. I can win good competitive games even with a garbage squad like Houston. And when I lose it doesn't feel like I got "cheesed". It's not much to look at it but the gameplay is there and that's what matters to me.

I give this game an 8/10
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #194
Banned

OVR: 0

The only real problem I have with the game is the fielding. The jogging glitch and the cutoff pause glitch, that allows inside the park home runs and stuff like that hurts the game. Other than that, I love the series. There are other issues as well, but these are my major issues I hate the most. So it's a good game and really fun too play.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #195
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus13
The only real problem I have with the game is the fielding. The jogging glitch and the cutoff pause glitch, that allows inside the park home runs and stuff like that hurts the game. Other than that, I love the series. There are other issues as well, but these are my major issues I hate the most. So it's a good game and really fun too play.
Can you elaborate on these glitches? I'm just not seeing them. Are they when you are fielding, or the CPU? Are you using auto-fielding?

I have not hit, nor allowed, any inside the park home runs yet. And the number of triples has been reasonable and much more likely to be quick players. I have no had any issue with the pause glitch? My assumption is that guys want the play to be more boom-boom than the developers have allowed. But I have not run into issues of not getting the ball out, nor scoring while the CPU holds the ball.

As for the routes, the only issue is that there will be crazy routes OF's take when a HR has been hit. The jogging OF's are the guys that are not getting the ball, so they are of no consequence.

There were some weird routes when the OF Speed was set at 5, but since I have had it at 25, I've seen zero issues. My theory is that OF Speed controls, in addition to the speed of the player, how long the game controls the players and set him on his way. With OF Speed at 5, I was not taking control of the OF soon enough, and it was causing a pause, which then meant i had to take a new path.

I may just not be understanding what leads to these issues, but I'm seriously having no issues like this, at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #196
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
Can you elaborate on these glitches? I'm just not seeing them. Are they when you are fielding, or the CPU? Are you using auto-fielding?

I have not hit, nor allowed, any inside the park home runs yet. And the number of triples has been reasonable and much more likely to be quick players. I have no had any issue with the pause glitch? My assumption is that guys want the play to be more boom-boom than the developers have allowed. But I have not run into issues of not getting the ball out, nor scoring while the CPU holds the ball.

As for the routes, the only issue is that there will be crazy routes OF's take when a HR has been hit. The jogging OF's are the guys that are not getting the ball, so they are of no consequence.

There were some weird routes when the OF Speed was set at 5, but since I have had it at 25, I've seen zero issues. My theory is that OF Speed controls, in addition to the speed of the player, how long the game controls the players and set him on his way. With OF Speed at 5, I was not taking control of the OF soon enough, and it was causing a pause, which then meant i had to take a new path.

I may just not be understanding what leads to these issues, but I'm seriously having no issues like this, at all.
Hey MT,

It's by the CPU. The jogging glitch is when u have a hit in the gap or over the outfielder head, the second outfielder that's close too the ball just jogs on the play and really doesn't make a effort. Even if that outfielder has a better angle too get too the ball. That wasn't really in 2k11, but showed in 2k12 and now in 2k13. Also the pause glitch is when u hit the ball in the outfield and the cutoff man just holds the ball and does a backstop. Allowing inside the park home runs and runs from first too home. I have even seen, where the runner would be on third, then would advance too home after about 3 seconds even when the cutoff man has the ball. The cutoff man would then throw the ball when the runner is halfway too the plate, allowing the run home.

It's not user control, but the CPU that does this. There is a issue when pursuing the ball that it seems that u can't control the direction u want too go in the outfield, it seem like its scripted for some reason. Also there is a slight hesitation when throwing the ball on certain plays. So fielding has been a issue since 2k12. it was a lot better in 2k11. I hope they can patch this issue and its not in the coding. I guess we'll find out in June or July if there is a patch.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #197
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Hey MT,

It's by the CPU. The jogging glitch is when u have a hit in the gap or over the outfielder head, the second outfielder that's close too the ball just jogs on the play and really doesn't make a effort. Even if that outfielder has a better angle too get too the ball. That wasn't really in 2k11, but showed in 2k12 and now in 2k13. Also the pause glitch is when u hit the ball in the outfield and the cutoff man just holds the ball and does a backstop. Allowing inside the park home runs and runs from first too home. I have even seen, where the runner would be on third, then would advance too home after about 3 seconds even when the cutoff man has the ball. The cutoff man would then throw the ball when the runner is halfway too the plate, allowing the run home.

It's not user control, but the CPU that does this. There is a issue when pursuing the ball that it seems that u can't control the direction u want too go in the outfield, it seem like its scripted for some reason. Also there is a slight hesitation when throwing the ball on certain plays. So fielding has been a issue since 2k12. it was a lot better in 2k11. I hope they can patch this issue and its not in the coding. I guess we'll find out in June or July if there is a patch.
I have seen both of these, but they aren't really gamebreakers for me. I'm not sure how they are leading to inside-the-park HRs for you though. I've seen these glitches, but they have never resulted in inside-the-park HRs in my games. I think there may be some slider tinkering you can do to prevent this. You may want to lower baserunner speed or up fielder throw speed. Or do something with baserunner aggression.

As for the jogging glitch, I find that the CPU determines which OF has a better chance on the ball and let's you control that one. The second OF just jogs, that's true. But if you really notice, the OF the CPU gives you is always the right choice, although sometimes this isn't apparent until the ball caroms of the wall and changes trajectory etc..

As for the cutoff man glitch, it does seem like the cutoff man is hesitant to make throws to the plate, but for me, this only really happens when I'd almost certainly be safe anyway and they want to prevent another baserunner from moving up by not making an unnecessary throw. Again, this has not been a problem from an inside-the-park HR sense for me.

I've played 30-35 games and have seen a grand total of 1 inside-the-park HR and it had to do with a misplayed dive in the OF and not with these minor "glitches."

With the throw meter, I have not seen any delayed throws at all.

Also the OF pursuit IS scripted in the sense that your OF player starts (gets a jump) toward the direction the ball will land in. However, once you are in motion, you can back out/go a different direction, though I don't see why you'd want to. Think of it this way, it's a bit of an auto-assist feature since you really have no way of gauging where the ball is heading at the crack of the bat. It's a bit of a head start.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #198
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I have seen both of these, but they aren't really gamebreakers for me. I'm not sure how they are leading to inside-the-park HRs for you though. I've seen these glitches, but they have never resulted in inside-the-park HRs in my games. I think there may be some slider tinkering you can do to prevent this. You may want to lower baserunner speed or up fielder throw speed. Or do something with baserunner aggression.

As for the jogging glitch, I find that the CPU determines which OF has a better chance on the ball and let's you control that one. The second OF just jogs, that's true. But if you really notice, the OF the CPU gives you is always the right choice, although sometimes this isn't apparent until the ball caroms of the wall and changes trajectory etc..

As for the cutoff man glitch, it does seem like the cutoff man is hesitant to make throws to the plate, but for me, this only really happens when I'd almost certainly be safe anyway and they want to prevent another baserunner from moving up by not making an unnecessary throw. Again, this has not been a problem from an inside-the-park HR sense for me.

I've played 30-35 games and have seen a grand total of 1 inside-the-park HR and it had to do with a misplayed dive in the OF and not with these minor "glitches."

With the throw meter, I have not seen any delayed throws at all.

Also the OF pursuit IS scripted in the sense that your OF player starts (gets a jump) toward the direction the ball will land in. However, once you are in motion, you can back out/go a different direction, though I don't see why you'd want to. Think of it this way, it's a bit of an auto-assist feature since you really have no way of gauging where the ball is heading at the crack of the bat. It's a bit of a head start.
Hey wait,

The inside the park home run occurs when the runner rounds third from second and the cutoff man just holds the ball and does that backstop. The problem is that there are some plays that clearly the cutoff man can throw home and tag the runner before he gets too the plate. With the pause glitch, that doesn't occur resulting in runs. Also the problem with the jogging glitch is, that there are plays that the other outfielder has a better angle too get to the ball first. which doesn't happen because the CPU takes control of a central player that runs too the ball. In baseball u often see more than just one outfielder trying too get too the ball, resulting in sometimes players colliding and crossing each other. It was in 2k11, then the problem started in 2k12. So I don't know what the developers was thinking at the time. I'll try lowering the aggression on bases and see what happens. It's something like the catcher always flying out too get a bunt and the pitcher is in better position too get the ball. I think the AI is messed up somehow
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #199
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Hey wait,

The inside the park home run occurs when the runner rounds third from second and the cutoff man just holds the ball and does that backstop. The problem is that there are some plays that clearly the cutoff man can throw home and tag the runner before he gets too the plate. With the pause glitch, that doesn't occur resulting in runs. Also the problem with the jogging glitch is, that there are plays that the other outfielder has a better angle too get to the ball first. which doesn't happen because the CPU takes control of a central player that runs too the ball. In baseball u often see more than just one outfielder trying too get too the ball, resulting in sometimes players colliding and crossing each other. It was in 2k11, then the problem started in 2k12. So I don't know what the developers was thinking at the time. I'll try lowering the aggression on bases and see what happens. It's something like the catcher always flying out too get a bunt and the pitcher is in better position too get the ball. I think the AI is messed up somehow
Fair enough. I was just chiming in to say that I do see the animations you're talking about, but for me (like for MT Oread above) at least it's not as pronounced as what you're seeing. There have been no inside-the-parks for/against me on these like I've mentioned. And really not many plays I can think of where the relay would've beat me. When I see the cutoff man holding onto the ball, my runner is generally ~1/2 way or more from 3rd to home (never just rounding 3rd) and the cutoff man is also all the way in the OF sometimes.

I also think the CPU always gives me the best OF with the best chance. Certainly the "jogging" could be improved upon since often more than 2 OFers have a legitimate play on the ball. But I've never been given the "wrong" outfielder for pursuing a ball. Sometimes I think I am, but that's mostly the frustration that comes with "oh, crap I need to get the ball in so the CPU doesn't score on me!"

Certainly for aesthetic purposes, I'd rather see 2 OFs busting it after the ball, but for gameplay it's really been a non-issue for me. I'd also like to see the "slow turn" animation at bases gone, but again it doesn't happen all the time and never affects the gameplay. But, I agree the animations (and faces) are a place this series could be improved upon.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #200
MVP

OVR: 13

You can easily stop the inside the park hrs. by you, just don't run home. Not the best solution but what else can you do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »