Home

NHL 14 Gameplay Developer Diary with One Touch Dekes Gameplay Trailer

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Gameplay Developer Diary with One Touch Dekes Gameplay Trailer within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 14 Gameplay Developer Diary with One Touch Dekes Gameplay Trailer

I love the new features that EA tries to incorporate but I also think they need to just improve on the basic fundamentals of hockey dynamics to really be successful.

There should be more distinct styles of play for each team and player...currently, all teams play very similarly and all players play very similarly and lack a wide variety of play styles, tendencies, and attributes...not to mention the game overall lacks a large enough variety in distinct animations...

...Everybody moves, shoots, checks and acts the same in the game which creates a very sterile 'been there, done that, seen this' style of play with each and every game which makes the game feel very dull and repetitive after playing just a few franchise games!.....

Watch many of these playoff games and see how much players over extend themselves, reaching and poking and really going all out after the puck or to break up a play. You really dont see this level of exertion, hustle and dynamics in the video game.

Also closely notice the risk vs reward aspect of the skating in the NHL; whereas players will make shart tight turns against gravity to try and cut into the net to get a shot on net...but sometimes cut too hard and completely wipe out!...There is none of this risk in EA NHL skating that could force a wipeout.

Also notice how guys in the NHL go to line up the hits against the boards to plaster the opponent and/or pin them hard into the rattling boards. This whole aspect of the game is watered down, and repetitively oversimplifed with the same animations and limited results each time...absolutely no organic feel to it whatsoever

THESE are the things that really need to IMPROVE to make this THE GAME to buy

Last edited by RLaguna; 05-17-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3
This is a going to be a light year as the series tools up for the next gen consoles. I'm willing to accept these modest updates. I'm hoping the tougher dekes will remain difficult to pull off, and the quick dekes aren't really much tougher in execution than current. I'll have a good time with these tweaks while i wait for NHL 15
Old 05-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 14 Gameplay Developer Diary with One Touch Dekes Gameplay Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLaguna
I love the new features that EA tries to incorporate but I also think they need to just improve on the basic fundamentals of hockey dynamics to really be successful.

There should be more distinct styles of play for each team and player...currently, all teams play very similarly and all players play very similarly and lack a wide variety of play styles, tendencies, and attributes...not to mention the game overall lacks a large enough variety in distinct animations...

...Everybody moves, shoots, checks and acts the same in the game which creates a very sterile 'been there, done that, seen this' style of play with each and every game which makes the game feel very dull and repetitive after playing just a few franchise games!.....

Watch many of these playoff games and see how much players over extend themselves, reaching and poking and really going all out after the puck or to break up a play. You really dont see this level of exertion, hustle and dynamics in the video game.

Also closely notice the risk vs reward aspect of the skating in the NHL; whereas players will make shart tight turns against gravity to try and cut into the net to get a shot on net...but sometimes cut too hard and completely wipe out!...There is none of this risk in EA NHL skating that could force a wipeout.

Also notice how guys in the NHL go to line up the hits against the boards to plaster the opponent and/or pin them hard into the rattling boards. This whole aspect of the game is watered down, and repetitively oversimplifed with the same animations and limited results each time...absolutely no organic feel to it whatsoever

THESE are the things that really need to IMPROVE to make this THE GAME to buy

Its like you put a large caliber pistol to the side of my dome and blew my brains out in the form of your words. The same applies to ALL EA sports games, in my opinion. Graphics has been the forefront for the most part, lets call it a sub par engine with a spectacular paint job. I play EA for newness (not a word), but 2k takes the cake for simulation gameplay for me. I enjoy giving my cash to both companies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »