Home

ESPN: More College Properties Might Not Licensing to EA

This is a discussion on ESPN: More College Properties Might Not Licensing to EA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: ESPN: More College Properties Might Not Licensing to EA

Next years game should start by getting rid of some things already, some fans will be upset but in the long run it will be worth it if it is the last game.

example: Conference patches on uniforms, a small detail that needs to be erased. So IF it is the last game we can continue on playing the version without having a team move form one conference to another and still having the old patch for years and years. Or make it like the fields where the patch changes.

They have to think to the future for this game just not that year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #26

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
The only thing I wonder about this is how this would tie into the O'Bannon lawsuit. Now, EA doesn't model the characters in the game after the players and they don't have names on the jersey or in the commentary but the lawsuit is all about.
Up until last year players were modeled pretty much exactly to the player they were meant to mirror.

It wasn't just a number and a team that provoked this lawsuit.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Up until last year players were modeled pretty much exactly to the player they were meant to mirror.

It wasn't just a number and a team that provoked this lawsuit.

Exactly. This lawsuit wouldn't be happening if EA had made '1995 UCLA #31' (Eddie O'Bannon) a 6'1" 178lbs white guy.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
Rookie

Neverwhere's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman490
nike would never go through the trouble on creating 100+ random uniforms for a video game.

you say that now, but go play PES before it had any licenses.
Nike doesn't create the uniform assets used in game. Those are created by either hi-res image capturing or going off of a photo by EA. Nike just says "Yes, you can use this uniform and our branding" or "No, you can't use that uniform and our branding".
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo614
Reading Kristi Dosh's Article, particularly the last paragraph;
It sounds to me like the NCAA and EA have already conceded defeat to O Bannion. If EA has agreed to pay SOME players starting next year, that's a concession. I think there's a lot of you still hoping that the cavalry will somehow come charging over the hill.
If some other company or EA took over and created a generic game, (Which I have severe doubts about), or a partial recreation of the Sport, The legalities of the O Bannion Case would be all over them before the first screenshot. "There can be NO representation of College Sports without compensation"
That Cavalry would be more like Custer's Last Stand. And Ed O Bannion's Lawyers would be the Indians.
I can see that being the outcome if O'Bannon et al win.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 32
Well, at least they went out with the best iteration of the series with 2014, IMO.

To me, this is merely a foregone conclusion - this game is dead. Schools will start pulling out. It's just a matter of time.

EA will not provide the customization tools that we need. There's just no way. We're a community here of mostly simulation gamers and any attempts in the future just won't cut it. We get riled up over the most minuscule things at times. It won't measure up.

"College Football 2015" with fake conferences, stadiums, bowl games and a (likely) large handful of schools will not satisfy the masses.

Damn. It's true, guys. This series is officially dead. I just don't believe they can salvage it at this point, despite them hanging on by a thread. I don't see it as being financially feasible for them at this point. EA has deep pockets but to pump the necessary cash out to keep this title afloat would likely be foolish.

Shame... Despite this game's flaws, I loved it and was loyal year in and year out.

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm sure this sentiment has been expressed by others, I don't fell sorry for EA one bit, this is chickens coming home to roost. I feel bad for collegiate gamers but think any ire should be directed towards EA, not the plantiffs. EA knew good and well it's wasn't allowed to use real player likenesses, yet they did it anyway, for years, in the pursuit of more profit. All they had to do was follow the rules, use the real team logos, stadiums, etc and randomize the actually players, with the ability for the community to make rosters. Instead they have backroom memos about using player likenesses and now it appears to have caught up with them.

It's amazing to me how some consumers will defend dishonest business practices when it results in giving them something they want. Whether you agree with the rule or not about using player likeness is a separate issue, the fact is EA was NOT supposed to do it but they clearly did anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

my curiosity lies with the average gamer. the guys on facebook and twitter, the average people making up the masses, the casual fan.

how aware of the situation at hand are they? i just wonder how wide spread this case actually is, and what the overall feeling is.

i know what we think on OS, but we are what, 1%?

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »