Home

EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

This is a discussion on EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #105
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pete Even
By far the most thoughtful and sensible post in this thread. The entire American college system has devolved into a farce. When it comes to athletics, the idea of amateurism died when billions of dollars started changing hands. Its the same fate that's befallen the Olympics. I also find it odd that so many are holding on to this myth of education equaling compensation. That would not fly in open court and I'm certain the NCAA hasn't fallen into the trap of trying to present it as an argument.
And as a parent paying for two children in college, if it ever came to collegiate athletes being paid, and you would have to go all across the board, cross country, basketball, football, every collegiate sport, I wouldn't want to see the raising of tuition one dime for tuition as result of paying collegiate athletes. Tuition is expensive as it is.

Paying athletes doesn't just revolve around the athletes, universities or the NCAA. It reaches fay beyond that.

Plus, if collegiate athletes are ever paid, welcome to the tax system, which is another headache.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #106
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
All of this is great. However it doesn't stop the fact that athletes are not getting paid for their labor. Which for most isn't the issues, it's the fact that these schools prevent them from using their likeness to get paid is what's completely unfair. Removing that rule wouldn't harm college athletics one bit yet it remains.
Seriously, labor? Playing a sport with countless perks is hard labor now?

Quote:
It's not a two way street. T. Martinez isn't receiving any monetary compensation. Also Martinez is one of those player that probably don't have an NFL future. If he would have blown out his knee his scholarship could have been revoked. I fail to see where he benefits from Neb sellouts. He's not getting a piece of the ticket sales.
So students who pay around $200 for game ticket packages should just start writing checks to their QB's now? We're paying stadium upgrades, helmets, uniforms, new turf, etc. so their holy college experience can be that much better. You really think his parents/coaches haven't already rubbed shoulders with prominent community members and formed relationships that will help him with a job if the NFL/MLB doesn't work out? Not to mention he's graduating with zero debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Oh please, the average college football player gets in excess of $100,000 dollars in benefits during 4 years in a division 1 school and they leave with a college degree.
B-but-but the scholarship is worthless and "bogus" anyway!! it means nothing, and they need cash payments.

Last edited by sportzbro; 09-28-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #107
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
Seriously, labor? Playing a sport with countless perks is hard labor now?

So students who pay around $200 for game ticket packages should just start writing checks to their QB's now? We're paying stadium upgrades, helmets, uniforms, new turf, etc. so their holy college experience can be that much better.

He's also benefiting because people actually show up to watch, which helps Nebraska sellout resulting in being shown nationally on TV, getting people to talk about him, to make his experience that much better. And you really think his parents/coaches haven't already rubbed shoulders with prominent community members and formed relationships that will help him with a job if the NFL/MLB doesn't work out?

B-but-but the scholarship is worthless and "bogus" anyway!! it means nothing, and they need cash payments.
The whole they need cash payments arguments are shortsighted and being made by people who simply don't know any better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #108
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
The whole they need cash payments arguments are shortsighted and being made by people who simply don't know any better.

What's the difference... Monetary compensation, signing endorsements outside of the university, or wanting a piece of ticket/uniform/video game sales - In some form or another it's all cash going to that amateur player on top of their scholarship, gear, networking, housing, transportation, academic resources, nutritionists, trainers, million dollar player lounges, etc. that they knowingly and very willingly signed on for.

Last edited by sportzbro; 09-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #109
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
What's the difference... Monetary compensation, signing endorsements outside of the university, or wanting a piece of ticket/uniform/video game sales - In some form or another it's all cash going to that amateur player on top of their scholarship, gear, networking, housing, transportation, academic resources, nutritionists, trainers, million dollar player lounges, etc. that they knowingly and very willingly signed on for.
Agree 100%

Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #110
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Can we please stop comparing what these football players go through to slavery? It's extremely ignorant, silly, insulting, etc.

Also I'm still LOL at the notion these players are being "exploited". If the 125,000 players who "got paid" by this settlement could go back in time to the day the signed their letter of intent (knowing what they know now) how many of them do you think would sign on the dotted line again? I would venture to guess that almost all of them would, including those two ***hats Obannon and Keller.

You can't exploit the willing.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 09-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #111
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83

I don't know what they need, but I know what they should be entitled to. It's sad so many have a midset that the focus on punishing the victims and not the offenders. Telling someone they don't have the right to generate a profit off of themselves while I make a significant profit off of those same people is the very definition of exploitation.

I'm not saying playing D1 college is torture or denying it may very well be the best option for the majority of the students. So PLEASE stop playing that card. However having something be your best option doesn't mean it isn't a form of exploitation none the less. Preventing SA's from pursuing deals with 3rd parties or accept money from boosters is an unnecessary rule that no one has yet to give a creditable reason that it exist.

Everything these colleges AD's does is to maximize the profit of there respective schools and all the conferences realiment is proof of such goals. If every party associated with college football, every move can be centered around money why shouldn't the group that actually provide the entertainment seek monetary compensation of some form? Especially when you consider that compensation would barely impact their profit margin if at all.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #112
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I don't know what they need, but I know what they should be entitled to. It's sad so many have a midset that the focus on punishing the victims and not the offenders. Telling someone they don't have the right to generate a profit off of themselves while I make a significant profit off of those same people is the very definition of exploitation.

I'm not saying playing D1 college is torture or denying it may very well be the best option for the majority of the students. So PLEASE stop playing that card. However having something be your best option doesn't mean it isn't a form of exploitation none the less. Preventing SA's from pursuing deals with 3rd parties or accept money from boosters is an unnecessary rule that no one has yet to give a creditable reason that it exist.

Everything these colleges AD's does is to maximize the profit of there respective schools and all the conferences realiment is proof of such goals. If every party associated with college football, every move can be centered around money why shouldn't the group that actually provide the entertainment seek monetary compensation of some form? Especially when you consider that compensation would barely impact their profit margin if at all.
Where do you think all of this "profit" is going? I mean really do you have any understanding of college athletics economics? Who's being "punished" here? Who are the "victims"? Talk about ridiculous use of hyperbole.

If you really believe this is exploitation, you need to some real perspective on the world, because you obviously don't have one iota of a clue as to what exploitation really is.

I am not sure where people think there is some God given right to make money while playing college athletics, or that playing college athletics is a God given right in the first place.

This kind of attitude lacks so much perspective and has such a limited scope of vision, I originally thought you were simply being facetious..

As for why the rule exists there are plenty of credible reason and they've been discussed ad nauseum around here. In this very thread I believe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »