Home

'Universal Currency' Coming to MLB 14 The Show

This is a discussion on 'Universal Currency' Coming to MLB 14 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #73
Pro

blueduke's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: 'Universal Currency' Coming to MLB 14 The Show

I see no problem with PP's article.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #74
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

To me this is a lame pre order bonus. I wonder if the Classic stadiums will be available. I have them on PS3, would be cool to upgrade them this year

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #75
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
To me this is a lame pre order bonus. I wonder if the Classic stadiums will be available. I have them on PS3, would be cool to upgrade them this year
HOLY CRAP! Youre alive! Where the heck have you been?!

Im sure the classic stadiums will still be in the game, but Russell already said they would not be adding any new ones anytime soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
If you're utilizing all features of a franchise you are essentially playing as the "owner". If one cares enough to control tickets prices and merchandise sells, limit your player salaries, staff salaries, etc...you're basically playing a business game and operating in a budget. But the goal of all of that is to increase profits, thus increasing the budget.

There's certainly a fan base out there that wants to act as a "new ownership group" and turn the lower income ballclubs into high profiting, high spending teams. Thus the shortcut for an increase in budget.

Or in all likelihood, not everyone wants to run a sim franchise and just wants to use there favorite small market team and load up on superstars.

The beauty of the show is they offer something for everyone.
I feel like I'm not explaining myself correctly. I don't care about any of that. If The Show wants to make some extra money and sell these upgrades, that's 100% cool with me.

My concern is that most games ALSO allow you to earn currency WITHOUT buying it, just by naturally playing the game.

I'm saying I would not want this currency to allow me to bypass budget limits and other things, even before I make a purchase.

So for example, if I play RTTS and make it to the WS and earn X amount of currency, and then I go into franchise mode... do I now have that currency to use on my budget, even without ever purchasing anything?

The OP said it would "tie in," I'm just confused on how and where.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #77
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Yes, they learned that people will make your game the #1 selling launch title AND spend tons of extra on virtual currency.

But until something is confirmed (or hidden away until release) we won't know.
I spent $50 on 2k's VC, so its not like i'm against it, I (and many others) just didn't like the fact that they would create situations where you had to spend VC for every day operations.
I don't think many of you would like having to spend your last 2000 UC you have, to sign that uber free agent, but now you have 0 UC left to put him into your lineup. So you either have to play without your new Star, or pay up real cash.
Thats the situation people are against. Being forced to spend money just to be able to do everyday things. It's different than spending it because you WANT to spend it.
I probably spend $100 every year on The Show just for RTTS. Nobody's against spending their money on a game they love, they just don't want to feel like they are being taken advantage of.

The 2K business model looks very lucrative I'm sure, but they are having a serious back lash because they pushed it too far.
I don't think anyone here actually thinks The Show WILL do what 2K did, but I do think people are concerned they might consider it.
Thats why people are saying they are against it right now, hoping someone might be listening.
After all, it worked with Xbox One.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #78
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball
Being forced to spend money just to be able to do everyday things.
Yeah but thats not what the bonus says it does. It says it buys points. Thats it. Just because it has a similar name to an epic failure doesnt mean it is the same thing. And until SCEA releases their Dev blogs, everything is just conjecture. Nobody knows and guessing only gets people panties in a bunch,

SCEA is not 2K. I think we all know that.
After all, look what 2K had with the MLB license and look what they did with it.
SCEA has had to claw and fight for what they have and I highly doubt theyre about to F it up on a few DLCs
Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #79
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Yeah but thats not what the bonus says it does. It says it buys points. Thats it. Just because it has a similar name to an epic failure doesnt mean it is the same thing. And until SCEA releases their Dev blogs, everything is just conjecture. Nobody knows and guessing only gets people panties in a bunch,

SCEA is not 2K. I think we all know that.
After all, look what 2K had with the MLB license and look what they did with it.
SCEA has had to claw and fight for what they have and I highly doubt theyre about to F it up on a few DLCs
I think the knee jerk reaction (and I will admit that I am guilty of it too) is the old saying that "If it looks like a Duck, and Quacks Like a Duck...it's probably a Duck" I'm not "SAYING" its a duck, but I AM saying "Hey SCEA please tell me this isn't a DUCK!" I don't know if that makes sense or not lol.
And for the second part, I hope with every fiber of my being that you are right, and that is exactly what they are thinking.
As long as they don't push it too far, I have NO problem with it.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #80
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OK, by that rationale (and I do understand) but by that rationale, how many "DUCKS" has SCEA produced in the last.... what?.... 15 years?!

That alone should be enough to calm the waves just a bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »