Home

MLB 14 The Show - Top 9 Players at Each Position

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show - Top 9 Players at Each Position within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #121
Rookie

WB1214's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 14 The Show - Top 9 Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack23
I totally agree with your point here. I feel that a rating of >90 should be reserved only for the best players. That being said I do like that players overall ratings are much lower this season as I would usually go in and edit ratings down in past seasons. Being an Oakland fan and a realist, I do not understand how Josh Donaldson is not higher than at least an 84 yet Cespedes somehow manages to capture an 88. I think those who follow Oakland and have a sense of reality would agree with me that his rating is way too high.

Side note: I can only speculate for now until I see the ratings. I also understand that Oakland players for the most part are going to receive lower ratings than most teams because they are built on pitching and platoons. It's hard to have high rated players when they only hit off of certain handed pitchers. Overall though I am beyond stoked to get my ps4 copy 5/6...in fact I am taking a vacation day from work to soak in all of it's majestic qualities
Exactly.. I can't complain about anything I see until the actual ratings. As for your Donaldson and Cespedes comparison, I'd think "3 year average" rating that has an effect on Cespedes still having good offensive ratings. He's also a good athlete with a strong arm, etc. All of those attributes add up.

I can see why a lot of people want the "overall" rating to be hidden. It would help with situations like this.

I simply look at Overalls, especially with the way they're using them now, as a way to grade a player's value. Are there players any more valuable than Trout, Miggy, Kershaw, and Cutch?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #122
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB1214
Exactly.. I can't complain about anything I see until the actual ratings. As for your Donaldson and Cespedes comparison, I'd think "3 year average" rating that has an effect on Cespedes still having good offensive ratings. He's also a good athlete with a strong arm, etc. All of those attributes add up.

I can see why a lot of people want the "overall" rating to be hidden. It would help with situations like this.

I simply look at Overalls, especially with the way they're using them now, as a way to grade a player's value. Are there players any more valuable than Trout, Miggy, Kershaw, and Cutch?
No sir. I am more than pleased that the players with the most impact in the game are made to stand out above the rest. I can appreciate the average's argument. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that the guy who was #4 in the AL MVP voting last season and finished near the top of every statistical category for 3rd basemen is rated so low. However, if we are going off of averages than Donaldson is where he should be. He only really came on in the second half of 2012 (rookie year) and was abysmal in the first half being sent down twice. He only finished that season hitting .241 with 9 HR's in 294 PA's.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #123
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria499
I hope they are counting on Manny Machado being hurt. Because seriously? He is better then A-Rod and most of those third basemen.And he is young to boot so under rated. Nick Markakis is one of your best right fielders as well some of the best D out there good discipline. Not on there because of one down year? J.J Hardy makes the list and is only a 83 overall? He has hit 20 or more homeruns in the last 3 years straight. Again one of the best defenders on there? Least he made the list I guess. I agree where Jones is though. I also agree where Matt and where Crush are as well. O'day and Hunter both had pretty good years in the pen as well. Other then my little issues I like what I see in the rest. Well put together honestly.
JJ Hardy at an 83 seems about right to me. Remember this isn't a rating system like Madden, NHL, NBA, or MLB 2K. As someone noted earlier there are only 29 90+ overall rated guys.

You can't focus too much on the ratings, Machado is the only one I questioned (because he is comparable to defensively Simmons and better offensively and yet was, at best, sitting at an 84 while Simmons had an 86, I'm fairly certain its due to him coming off an injury and starting the season on the 15-day DL).
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #124
MVP

OVR: 2

I try not to worry too much about a given player's overall rating and instead try to focus more on the individual categories. I still may end up throwing it all away if I do decide to pick up MLB 14 next week. But I am in the closing days of Spring Training using a modified OSFM MLB 13 roster set and I have a RP with the Rockies (Wilton Lopez) who will most likely make the real world opening day roster. But in my games he has been horrible. It seems like every time I put him into a game, he gets into trouble. In the meantime I have another pitcher (Jordan Lyles) who has done a good job in Spring Training whenever I put him in the games. In this modified OSFM roster Lopez is an 81 overall while Lyles is only in the mid 70s. The overall rating tells me that I should cut Lyles and have Lopez in the bull pen on opening day. But based on how the two have played in my Spring Training games, Lopez should be sent down not Lyles.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #125
Rookie

hysteria499's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
JJ Hardy at an 83 seems about right to me. Remember this isn't a rating system like Madden, NHL, NBA, or MLB 2K. As someone noted earlier there are only 29 90+ overall rated guys.

You can't focus too much on the ratings, Machado is the only one I questioned (because he is comparable to defensively Simmons and better offensively and yet was, at best, sitting at an 84 while Simmons had an 86, I'm fairly certain its due to him coming off an injury and starting the season on the 15-day DL).
yeah I got to thinking about JJ that is pretty fair. I looked at the team ones it showed and my jaw dropped. Not just for the Orioles but for other players I was like wow. I mean tilly at a 78? He deserves to be at least a 83 or so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #126
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT

Machado is an 82.

Puig at 89 looks too high to me, and his speed of 68 looks too low. I think Machado should be higher than 82, reaction is too low at 72. Jimmy Rollins is 85. I know they can be edited, just saying....

Forgot about Trout. Vision 57 seems low. I know he struck out a lot last year, but he had over 100 bases on balls.

Last edited by Cavicchi; 03-26-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #127
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Machado is an 82.

Puig at 89 looks too high to me, and his speed of 68 looks too low. I think Machado should be higher than 82, reaction is too low at 72. Jimmy Rollins is 85. I know they can be edited, just saying....

Forgot about Trout. Vision 57 seems low. I know he struck out a lot last year, but he had over 100 bases on balls.
A lot of the player's speed seem low, but I think they must have tweaked it to create more of a game between the elite runners and the just fast ones. Seems like the "fast" guys in the 67-75 range and the "faster" guys are in the 90-94 range and then Hamilton and Bourn at 99.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #128
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
A lot of the player's speed seem low, but I think they must have tweaked it to create more of a game between the elite runners and the just fast ones. Seems like the "fast" guys in the 67-75 range and the "faster" guys are in the 90-94 range and then Hamilton and Bourn at 99.
What speeds do Cargo, Carlos Gomez, and Altuve have? I find it hard to believe there's nothing between 75 to 90.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »