Home

R.B.I. Baseball 14 Available Now, Post Your Impressions - Gameplay Videos Included

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 14 Available Now, Post Your Impressions - Gameplay Videos Included within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Available Now, Post Your Impressions - Gameplay Videos Include

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith
I really don't understand how keeping stats out of it captures the essence of the original. As a kid I tried to keep my own stats on paper. There is a reason in the 80's dice games like strat-o-matic were so popular. If it was baseball, it was stats.

I could care less if the stats are realistic or completely inflated, they still make every at bat matter and fuel the fun to play a long season.

If they kept them out "in the spirit of the original", why do the graphics not look like power pro or some other bowling ball looking characters? You capture the original by making it feel and play like the original, not by purposely keeping out simple stat tracking. This was a business decision to not spend the time and I am going to make a business decision to not spend 20 dollars unless it is added in. I am not trying to be negative but don't skimp on development time and throw up a smoke screen like "in the spirit of the original" unless you are only going to charge 5 bucks on every platform.
It's an individual choice whether to buy the game or not.

For me, and it's a personal choice, I don't need stats for a 20 minute arcade like game. This game is similar to putting a quarter in a old baseball game in the arcade and hitting the steely ball up the ramp for a HR. Also, it's a single season mode, if it was multi season, I'd be more on the stats bandwagon.

MS and Sony have higher licensing cost vs android cost, plus rumor has it mutli-player will be available in the summer.

Last edited by roadman; 04-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Available Now, Post Your Impressions - Gameplay Videos Include

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith
I really don't understand how keeping stats out of it captures the essence of the original. As a kid I tried to keep my own stats on paper. There is a reason in the 80's dice games like strat-o-matic were so popular. If it was baseball, it was stats.

I could care less if the stats are realistic or completely inflated, they still make every at bat matter and fuel the fun to play a long season.

If they kept them out "in the spirit of the original", why do the graphics not look like power pro or some other bowling ball looking characters? You capture the original by making it feel and play like the original, not by purposely keeping out simple stat tracking. This was a business decision to not spend the time and I am going to make a business decision to not spend 20 dollars unless it is added in. I am not trying to be negative but don't skimp on development time and throw up a smoke screen like "in the spirit of the original" unless you are only going to charge 5 bucks on every platform.
I agree 100%. I lived through the frustration of keeping stats in a notebook once, and I have no desire to do it again. Even if RBI stats are unrealistic and out of hand compared to real life. You can still create your own universe and try to break records, etc. It was a huge mistake not having stat tracking. Once Tecmo did it circa 1991, there has been no looking back. Games must have it.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #35
Pro

OVR: 1

I have no sound on the IOS version, im using a Iphone 5s. I can get sound if using a headphone/earplug but not through main phone speaker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0
Like it, however, simple things to complain about. The home run cut scene? Stupid, no name guy , same thing over and over. Just go to maybe rounding bases, fireworks, fist pump, cartwheel, each guy different thing, etc. something maybe in real time.

Also, I loved the quirky sounds in the first rbi, ball in air you can barely hear. Loud thump when caught or error. Anyway, glad this is more an arcade game and they didn't to make it too much a sim.

Last, haven't played much, but I like the exaggeration of the first rbi. Some guys throw over a hundred, some always a HR. Some pitchers threw a wild side arm style. This could be both arcade and sim and great with next years game.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelly
I have no sound on the IOS version, im using a Iphone 5s. I can get sound if using a headphone/earplug but not through main phone speaker.
Might be a dumb question, but is your phone in vibrate/silent? And did you turn the volume up after unplugging headphones? iOS treats the volume differently for the two situations.

I've made this mistake before. And thought there was something wrong. Then just realized I had my volume all the way down with my headphones unplugged!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #38
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teirminator
Might be a dumb question, but is your phone in vibrate/silent? And did you turn the volume up after unplugging headphones? iOS treats the volume differently for the two situations.

I've made this mistake before. And thought there was something wrong. Then just realized I had my volume all the way down with my headphones unplugged!
BINGO! Thanks, I'm an idiot. I'm at work so of course its on vibrate. Just tried works perfectly!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #39
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15

Do the games give a box score at the end?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #40
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

^^^

Yes, they do, and a newspaper headline.

A boxscore is viewed every half inning.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »