Home

NHL 15 Screenshot - P. K. Subban

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Screenshot - P. K. Subban within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
Banned

Jattbreed's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 15 Screenshot - P. K. Subban

The crests on the jerseys are still WAY too small.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
You're not going to have the budget with NHL to fly 700+ NHL players in to get scans every 2-4 years. It's just not going to happen. The idea that people expect it to happen anyway is simply flat out not realistic.
They don't have the budget to fly in players huh. I don't think it's fair for you to ridicule people who want the players to be updated every few years if you don't know how the process works.

Don't know how many times it has to be pointed out that it isn't necessary for EA to bring a player into their studio in Burnaby for them to get their face in the game. Over the past couple of years I'd say about 6 players max have actually done that.

EA really only uses two methods to give players faces. Either they create it on their own using reference imaging, which requires no meeting with a player at all, or they take their camera equipment and travel to meet the players themselves for scans. Whatever it costs to fly out their art staff to an NHL team's office or training facility, which admittedly could be somewhat pricey were that process to be repeated 30 times, it's nowhere near as difficult and costly as it would be to bring 700 players into EA's studio.

It remains to be seen whether this is what they've done for NHL 15. It's something they chose to make a selling point for the game, but the footage and screenshots we have seen don't give the impression that this is what's happened at all.

Additionally, even though FIFA and UFC have bigger budgets that make it seem more reasonable for fans of those series' to want their players updated every now and then, the nature of the NHL's schedule is why it would actually be easier for this dev team to update their players than it would for those games. At the highest levels of soccer, there isn't a draft, and there aren't really any awards shows either. If EA NHL attended these events every year with their mobile camera rig, they could feasibly get hundreds of new and updated scans every year.

Last edited by dlxsf18; 06-24-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
Rookie

wolfsjetta12's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Obviously. I think my question is however does Vanek stop looking like Vanek because he doesn't have a few new wrinkles in his face due to age? Is that what we really want EA to be spending their time and smaller budget on with NHL? Making sure every player has enough wrinkles and age spots on their faces? I'd rather they spend those resources elsewhere to be honest.
No, I would much rather them fix other issues first, definitely. My point wasn't to say that I think that's what they should be doing, my point was just agreeing with someone else on why more recent ie new "star" players look more like themselves than others.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #20
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Again the whole crowd is wearing a hockey jersey, for some reason that is annoying me

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »