Home

Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

This is a discussion on Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
LOL the supreme court is not going to rule in favor of the athletes guarantee 5-4.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Rookie

It is now safe to say that there will never be another NCAA licensed game made ever again because it will be way too costly for game developers. I did the math on makin a college basketball game featuring all 144 teams at 16 players a team. it said each player has to be paid at least 5,000 dollars a year. So 5,000 dollars times 16 players on a team equals 11,520,000 dollars and the game most likely wont make that much...A NCAA licensed college football game will cost just as much if not more. I just don't see it happening
Old 08-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Definitely clears the picture on the future of a college football video game. Question is if the NCAA will appeal. I thought it was a slam dunk a while ago, but with the way things are changing all around it, I almost feel like it may have died on this hill here.
I don't believe it does because this will make it way more costly to Ea/2k to make the games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2
Dovuto86 you must have missed this article http://www.operationsports.com/news/747344/in-a-strange-twist-of-fate-ncaa-gamers-must-now-root-for-obannon/
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
It is now safe to say that there will never be another NCAA licensed game made ever again because it will be way too costly for game developers. I did the math on makin a college basketball game featuring all 144 teams at 16 players a team. it said each player has to be paid at least 5,000 dollars a year. So 5,000 dollars times 16 players on a team equals 11,520,000 dollars and the game most likely wont make that much...A NCAA licensed college football game will cost just as much if not more. I just don't see it happening
They don't have to use player names and likeness. Sell the game with random generated players and include an editor.
Even if the players are included, there is nothing stating that they would require a $5000 payment. We are already seeing many players who are upset that the game is not coming out this year. For many, they are just excited to be in a game. If they get something extra out of it, they'll be even happier.
The cost to EA or 2K would not be much. The amount given to the players would be taken from the license agreements with the NCAA, conferences and schools. Instead of the institutions getting 100% of the money, a portion would go to the players. No different than how the pro league rights and player rights work for Madden / NBA 2K etc.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #14
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
That doesn't mean EA has to pay every player $5,000 LOL.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

If this all plays out the players will likely sign their rights away to a representation group that would then accept or decline offers. Not all players would, so you may end up with most players in the game but not all (remember Jordan not being in some NBA games and even now some coaches not being in madden?) being in the game and compensated.

Since some money is better than no money they will probably just sign with whoever gives more money, or multiple entities if multiple ones offer (which is unlikely unless 2K can get NFL rights as well.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
They don't have to use player names and likeness. Sell the game with random generated players and include an editor.
Even if the players are included, there is nothing stating that they would require a $5000 payment. We are already seeing many players who are upset that the game is not coming out this year. For many, they are just excited to be in a game. If they get something extra out of it, they'll be even happier.
The cost to EA or 2K would not be much. The amount given to the players would be taken from the license agreements with the NCAA, conferences and schools. Instead of the institutions getting 100% of the money, a portion would go to the players. No different than how the pro league rights and player rights work for Madden / NBA 2K etc.
it is stated in the article at the very end " The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete." That right there sums up that it will nearly be impossible for an NCAA licensed game to ever exist again

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »